2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

4 hours ago, mjsell said:

Saw a band called Crazy P Friday night, they have been around for ages but are still churning out some quality albums - they played a few new songs so I'm hopeful for another new album in the new year. First time I've seen them live and they were phenomenal, would love to see them at Glastonbury somewhere. 

I know nothing by Crazy P, other than heartbreaker which is an absolute belter. Any recommendations?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, zero000 said:

I know nothing by Crazy P, other than heartbreaker which is an absolute belter. Any recommendations?

Best album is 'When We On' (which heartbreaker amongst others is on). The most recent album 'Walk Talk Dance Sing' is also very good as well as there first under the P name 'Stop space return'

My favourite songs other than heartbreaker are: Cruel Mistress, Never Gonna Reach Me, Eruption, Open For Service and Twisted (all on those three albums)

On 11/20/2016 at 1:17 AM, FloorFiller said:

yeah likewise. that first album was a breath of fresh air when it came out and just sounded like nothing else, whereas now they sound like an awful lot of other stuff. there are a couple of recent songs that i enjoy but their two latest albums as a whole haven't been up to much i thought. like you though i'd still like to see em live if they were to play a festival or something if only for those Treats songs

Saw them live a few years back (with Charli XCX in support!), and they were really good fun.  Would definitely see them again if they played Glastos.

One of the wonders of the internet is people can give Bruno Mars a listen without committing to buying an album and hear how good he is (or bad if they don't like it).  I reckon he'd put on a great live show.  I live my musical life through Recommendations and SXSW showcases, so I have no idea how big he is, I'm assuming number 1 singles and such mean he is headliner or sub headliner material?  Rather than a West Holt funk/soul/party vibe headliner?

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

Just doing my first draft for top 10 albums of the year, it's really not been a stellar year IMO. There's been some really good stuff, but nothing mindblowing. 

It's a weird one, there's a bunch of solid 4/5 albums out there, but probably no 5/5s. I think that's making rating them more difficult

25 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's a weird one, there's a bunch of solid 4/5 albums out there, but probably no 5/5s. I think that's making rating them more difficult

Yep I agree, although my number 1 is fairly easy. The rest are interchangeable based on mood! 

I wanted to have a look at how many times I'd listened to each album on Spotify, like how you can do on iTunes,  but I don't think that's a thing. 

25 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yep I agree, although my number 1 is fairly easy. The rest are interchangeable based on mood! 

I wanted to have a look at how many times I'd listened to each album on Spotify, like how you can do on iTunes,  but I don't think that's a thing. 

I used to use Last.fm which is compatible with Spotify, but since I joined Apple Music I've lost the facility to scrobble. It was good to use as a gauge for what would be my AOTY, i.e. my most played, otherwise it can change dependent on my mood.

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

True. I may just be able to classify one as a 5/5, but I have yet to complete a 'top ten' of albums that all justify being in a top ten.

49 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I think it's been quite strong.

Yeah don't get me wrong, there's been loads of stuff this year I've loved. Radiohead, James Blake, Angel Olsen, Hinds, Car Seat Headrest, Avalanches are all pretty much guaranteed to make my top ten. 

13 hours ago, Badlands said:

I used to use Last.fm which is compatible with Spotify, but since I joined Apple Music I've lost the facility to scrobble. It was good to use as a gauge for what would be my AOTY, i.e. my most played, otherwise it can change dependent on my mood.

Username? Or is it pointless now you can't scrobble?