The Sunday Night Headliner Saga

Keithy

if that's two times now he's looked like playing about two times he's backed out

I don't believe that's actually the case.

From the little I know (or perhaps: bullshit that i've been told) this year is the only time he's shown interest in playing. How great that interest was and whether he was ever really on the cards i'm not sure.

The truth could still actually be something entirely different. For example, something else said to me by someone else suggests that The Who as a late booking was only because they didn't get their shit together and book someone until then - tho that's from a conversation where I can't work out if I was being chucked hints or not, and where I could do similar around a mention of Prince in the same convo which might have been a hint that he'd been booked.

I'm sticking with the 'Prince backed out' idea, cos there's some MUCH more solid things with that, where the "The Who are playing instead" that I was told at the same time stands up (even tho I dismissed it at the time because of the Paris show).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder if it's a case of Prince leading Glastonbuty on by seeming keen and agreeing in principal before pulling out late in the day, or if it's a case of him showing little interest and Glastonbury leaving it late in the chance they can twist his arm?

from the little I know it could be either of those.

Nothing i've heard suggested he was firmly booked and then cancelled, just that they thought they'd got him this time but it turned out they hadn't.

I can't believe that if this is true, that a) G went and tried to book him again after last year

Why? They didn't get messed about last year. They made an enquiry, and that was that, basically.

I'm sure they enquire about plenty of acts they don't get.

It was the media who made a massive thing of it last year, helped along by him being in the country at about the right time for major speculation.

Edited by eFestivals

if we take the assumption that Prince did back out because of the Kanye petition then it does raise the possibility of other acts shying away in the future. Regardless of your opinions on whether she should or shouldn't headline, perhaps someone like Taylor Swift might look at the media storm around Kanye and be concerned that the same might happen to her and thus step back? Of course this is assuming she'd be interested in the first place; I rather follow Ed Sheeran's thoughts in that she'll never do a festival.

I'm not sure how Glastonbury can avoid the media storm in the future. We've had it with Jay-Z, Metallica, Kanye and, to a degree, with Flo. Perhaps it's a result of the festival selling out before an act is announced? People have 6 months to get whipped up into a frenzy with rumours and wishes and then when the headliners are announced, there's always a degree of anti-climax (albeit predominately from people not actually going)

Even on these forums this year, people got themselves whipped up into a terrible frenzy trying to guess the replacement with hopeful wishes of an Oasis or Stone Roses reunion and then being crushingly disappointed when it was Weller and The Who.

if we take the assumption that Prince did back out because of the Kanye petition then it does raise the possibility of other acts shying away in the future.

Nah, they'd have to be completely daft to take any notice.

Cos while there was a big fuss about the petition (just as there was with Jay Z), it turned out to only be white noise. The tickets sold and there were plenty there to see Kanye... the numbers leaving Kanye's set can be put down to the perceptions of his show rather than Kanye-hate.

I was waiting for this thread:

At the festival I heard it definitely was Prince for the Sunday headliner (Original source a person who directly works for Michael Eavis) but they got exasperated by the increasing demands Prince was making, so they decided to pull the plug and put word out. Roger Daltrey Agreed The Who would fill in if they had to dump Prince.

I am sure this is an accurate version of the events.

Unfortunately, the mixed reaction to Kanye coupled with the petition might lead them to follow a more conservative trajectory when booking future headliners, sticking with the tried and trusted, the Mumford & Sons and the Kasabians.

Can Marcus Mumford borrow Kanye's cherrypicker though?

'Not having their shit together' doesn't sound like Glastonbury HQ, nor does wanting the Who but then booking them late on instead of well in advance. 

The booking of the Who had to be a reaction to something, surely? Thinking they might have a chance of booking Prince was probably that thing. 

I don't want them to ever ask Prince.. Ever again

I really hope he plays, but I'm also happy that Michael/Emily are willing to pull the plug if his demands get too ridiculous, which seems to be the case if the above story is to be believed.

The purple pillock can do one as far as I'm concerned.

The vast majority of people I know couldn't give a shit about him or his music. Hes a relic. A forgotten turd from an era full of other forgotten turds.

Had he played, I would have 100% seen Ryan Adams at the park and not been simply satisfied but slightly underwhelmed by The Who. Ill never forgive him for that (or myself for that matter... Sigh)

I was waiting for this thread:

At the festival I heard it definitely was Prince for the Sunday headliner (Original source a person who directly works for Michael Eavis) but they got exasperated by the increasing demands Prince was making, so they decided to pull the plug and put word out. Roger Daltrey Agreed The Who would fill in if they had to dump Prince.

I am sure this is an accurate version of the events.

I know for sure that's not the accurate story.

(Long time reader, new poster - hello!)

I agree that nobody is bigger than the festival and a lot of aggro does seem to have been caused by all this but...

Having seen Prince live twice I can confirm he puts on an amazing show. The quality of the music played is brilliant, he's charismatic on stage but never once came over as arrogant and seemed to genuinely enjoy the audience and got groups up on stage to dance with the band.

I think him as a headliner would be amazing - even for people who aren't fans in the first instance, he has some classic singalong hits that I think would be highlight moments for even the naysayers!