2016 Other Stage headliners

Rose-Colored Boy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great shout. Can imagine that Kraftwerk on the other would be FULL of talkers.

Surely they'd need the screens and all the rest of the set-up that comes with the new Other Stage for full effect? Would be a bit of a waste on West Holts.

They could even chuck New Order in the John Peel Tent.

I dunno, they were still headlining decent sized festivals last tour: Benicassim, Bestival. They're also far bigger than any act to have played there for any Glastonbury I can remember...

Yeah I could see them subbing the pyramid for sure. They'll be playing arenas in the UK by that point, they're already playing Madison Square Garden in autumn.

I still think they'd be better on the other stage headlining up against a different genre act on the Pyramid. Not sure how much they use visuals in their act though. Maybe subbing would be ok.

Not sure why people are suggesting Calvin Harris - commercially he's too big to headline the Other Stage (though probably wouldn't fit the Pyramid either...)

Because being commercially huge doesn't guarantee a correspondingly huge position at Glastonbury. Look at the the recent placings for Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran and Ellie Holding. People were looking at record sales and talking about Eliie Goulding, suggesting she was strong Pyramid sub with potential to headline. She subbed Other. Glastonbury knows their demographic, with an average age of 36. I think Other headliner IS right for Calvin Harris. He's not a Pyramid headliner and he's not going to play in daylight.

Although it has been argued that he's too pop for the Pyramid top spot and to big for Other, so simply will never play again until his profile drops.

He would need to actually mix / play live too. Rather than a pre recorded set

He'd also need to accept that he'd get paid relatively f*ck all in comparison to what he gets for just turning up at these Vegas superclubs. Luckily that should be enough to keep him away...

Disclosure will be too big for the other stage slot by next year I reckon. They're in prime position to get bumped to the pyramid.

The only acts that are 'too big for the Other Stage' are Pyramid headliners and the occasional sub. Disclosure won't be too big for the Other Stage by any stretch, especially if the likes of The Chemical Brothers aren't.

Surely they'd need the screens and all the rest of the set-up that comes with the new Other Stage for full effect? Would be a bit of a waste on West Holts.

Would putting Kraftwerk in the JP work? They've got the screens and a guarantee of darkness for their lighting effects...

Would putting Kraftwerk in the JP work? They've got the screens and a guarantee of darkness for their lighting effects...

Sadly, JP seems like the most likely option. I think it would be busy, but manageable.

I just want it on WH as the sound is far better and I can make a quick dash to the SE Corner. But those bloody lack of screens...

I don't think it would be very busy at all. I think I read that they had a tiny crowd at T in the Park.

Different demographic, no? Of course it would depend on who they were up against.

A half full JP tent would be too grim to bear. We'll have them too small to play the Crow's Nest soon.

I watched the entire set in between BB King and Morrissey. So it was more than 3 songs. Not sure how many they played off their first album. I couldn't tell you anything on it.

14 songs...

Setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/biffy-clyro/2011/worthy-farm-pilton-england-53d303bd.html

I liked Biffy in my teens. They were an awesome live band when the 3rd album came out, but everything they've done since has been utter turd. And looking at that set, even in 2011 they only played 2 decent songs out of 14, it wouldn't get better with a headline set in 2016. Unless they ever played a first 3 albums tour/set, I'm leaving Biffy as just some good memories.

Different demographic, no? Of course it would depend on who they were up against.

A half full JP tent would be too grim to bear. We'll have them too small to play the Crow's Nest soon.

It is, but I'd say it still holds up slightly here. My mate who was there said it was embarrassingly small. I do think the JPT would be best for them anyway, with 3D glasses handed out at the start.

I liked Biffy in my teens. They were an awesome live band when the 3rd album came out, but everything they've done since has been utter turd. And looking at that set, even in 2011 they only played 2 decent songs out of 14, it wouldn't get better with a headline set in 2016. Unless they ever played a first 3 albums tour/set, I'm leaving Biffy as just some good memories.

Exactly my feelings.

They seemed to be absolutely everywhere as well, without going out of my way to try and see them I think I have managed to see them 4 or 5 times - through them being support acts and their festival appearances.