Glastocam!

pauladam

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Go tell that to 2016.

2016 was my first glasto, I really do hope the mud is better. The weather over the actual festival weekend was god, but it was the 10 days of solid rain before that really made the difference.

Even still, I had a great weekend

35 minutes ago, across97 said:

2016 was my first glasto, I really do hope the mud is better. The weather over the actual festival weekend was god, but it was the 10 days of solid rain before that really made the difference.

Even still, I had a great weekend

I don't understand why people think the weather during  last year's festival was 'good'!

Maybe it's just that in comparison to the pre-festival horror show it was less bad?

It rained a fair amount over the course of the five days, but more than that, there were very few periods of actually nice weather. I remember the sun on my face (it was bloody gorgeous) for about an hour at around 7am on Saturday morning, sitting outside a friend's tent after coming back from an all nighter in the SEC. That's the only genuinely 'good' weather I can remember, and I slept no more than 1-3 hours in any 24 hour period, so it's not as if I would have missed it!

Sunday afternoon and evening was drizzle the whole time - I remember wading through Silver Hayes in constant wetness. Ugh.

Not that I didn't have a great time - it was my best ever festival, I reckon, Just that the PTSD that has created this myth of the weather being OK does not chime with my (admittedly frazzled) memories!

:)

Ben

Wednesday afternoon through til Thursday night was pretty nice weather, I thought.  I caught some sun Thursday and we were sat on the ground up at the stone circle Thursday afternoon with only the slightest hint of a damp arse.  Monday was bloody glorious, we hung around til mid afternoon and went home with some fairly impressive tans.

When the clouds cleared Saturday evening though, just as Tame Impala were coming on and we were given some lovely rainbow sights before one of the best sunsets I've ever enjoyed, that was nice weather regardless of the ground conditions.  Look at the BBC coverage of Chvrches to see just how magnificent that sky looked :)

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Wednesday afternoon through til Thursday night was pretty nice weather, I thought.  I caught some sun Thursday and we were sat on the ground up at the stone circle Thursday afternoon with only the slightest hint of a damp arse.  Monday was bloody glorious, we hung around til mid afternoon and went home with some fairly impressive tans.

When the clouds cleared Saturday evening though, just as Tame Impala were coming on and we were given some lovely rainbow sights before one of the best sunsets I've ever enjoyed, that was nice weather regardless of the ground conditions.  Look at the BBC coverage of Chvrches to see just how magnificent that sky looked :)

I guess I also forget sometimes just how much the weather can vary across the site, given its enormity! Not blazing sunshine, maybe, but its certainly possible for it not to be raining on much of the site, even if its caning it down somewhere else!

Ben

7 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't understand why people think the weather during  last year's festival was 'good'!

Maybe it's just that in comparison to the pre-festival horror show it was less bad?

It rained a fair amount over the course of the five days, but more than that, there were very few periods of actually nice weather. I remember the sun on my face (it was bloody gorgeous) for about an hour at around 7am on Saturday morning, sitting outside a friend's tent after coming back from an all nighter in the SEC. That's the only genuinely 'good' weather I can remember, and I slept no more than 1-3 hours in any 24 hour period, so it's not as if I would have missed it!

Sunday afternoon and evening was drizzle the whole time - I remember wading through Silver Hayes in constant wetness. Ugh.

Not that I didn't have a great time - it was my best ever festival, I reckon, Just that the PTSD that has created this myth of the weather being OK does not chime with my (admittedly frazzled) memories!

Ben

last year the weather was shit 

it did effect how much fun I had, I would have had far more fun with the sun. I am not one of these strange people who complains it's too hot . I want it to bake. I want to struggle to get my tent pegs in the ground. I want to have to wear a sun hat for the weekend. I want to drag my blow up bed out my tents at 7 am as it's far too hot to sleep inside.  I want to bath in sun cream every day. 

• Upvote 9

Just now, shuttlep said:

last year the weather was shit 

it did effect how much fun I had, I would have had far more fun with the sun. I am not one of these strange people who complains it's too hot . I want it to bake. I want to struggle to get my tent pegs in the ground. I want to have to wear a sun hat for the weekend. I want to drag my blow up bed out my tents at 7 am as it's far too hot to sleep inside.  I want to bath in sun cream every day. 

This.

I want to be coughing a bit in the SEC at stupid o'clock from the dust we techno ravers are generating...!

Ben

• Upvote 1

Just now, naughtygeorgie said:

I got sunburn on the either weds or Thurs,  can't remember which, sunny friday afternoon/eve I've got pics to prove it, definitely blazing sunshine around midday Saturday, my hungover self  was dying with no hat on queuing for food..Monday obviously was blazing as everyone was leaving, again I got sunburn waiting for a tractor tow in CV West

Lots of rain at least 2 of the nights as our awning collapsed with the weight of water...as you said drizzle-fest all day Sunday...pouring Friday morning waiting for James to finally appear..

I think it was about 50/50 rain & shine but that's just my opinion & I've nothing to compare it too as 2016 was my 1st :):):)

Christ on a bike. Was it really like that? I must have been more mashed than I thought...

:blink:

Ben

14 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

When does the fence start to go up? 

are you planning  on building an underground hidden man cave and hiding in as soon as the fence goes up? Will George Clarke end up coming to stay with you after you have built it?

It was mostly cold and drizzly/overcast. The sun may have briefly come out but it was pretty shit most the time. If it hadn't rained so much beforehand people would still have complained about the weather.

Not being able to sit down was the worst though. I broke my back a year before and having to stand up or sit uncomfortably on a poncho all weekend was shit.

Last year I remember it stayed relatively dry on the Saturday evening into the night and there was a massive downpour at about 5am on the Sunday morning. We found some shelter in Shangri-La and were all up for powering straight through but decided to head back to the tent before we got pneumonia. Personally I don't mind the mud, the persistent rain is just a buzzkill though. The only year I've missed in recent times is 2010... 

58 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Considering what fell in both valleys either side the weather was better than good.
It does sound odd saying it was good but it really could have been so much worse.

This year it will be dry and pleasantly warm.

Was a glorious evening on the Weds, after a dodgy looking sky in the afternoon. Thursday must've been nice cause I spent a fair few hours sat at The Glade on a rug just having some ciders and enjoying the nice day.  Friday it pished it down in the afternoon, like proper torrential. Remember this well waiting for Frightened Rabbit, dried up by the time Christine and the Queens came on. I think Saturday was dry and Sunday was just manky.

There. That's my run through. 

8 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Was a glorious evening on the Weds, after a dodgy looking sky in the afternoon. Thursday must've been nice cause I spent a fair few hours sat at The Glade on a rug just having some ciders and enjoying the nice day.  Friday it pished it down in the afternoon, like proper torrential. Remember this well waiting for Frightened Rabbit, dried up by the time Christine and the Queens came on. I think Saturday was dry and Sunday was just manky.

There. That's my run through. 

I remember getting sunburnt, but also remember a huge downpour before Two Door. Couple of real bad downpours on Saturday morning, as in early hours.

But the rest I remember as being 'pleasant', could've been better, could've been a lot worse

checked back my photos and the weather for Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday was dry, plenty of cloud but sunny spells too. lots of pink-sunburn faces on Thursday evening.

Friday it rained after lunch around 2-3:30pm, but the evening was lovely, completely clear skies for Foals and Underworld. I was out around Block9 that night and it seems to have been dry then, and getting back to my tent in the early hours after it got bright.

Wasn't up until after lunch on Saturday but it was dry all day and night according to my photos. If there was any rain it must have been very brief. There was a rainbow during Tame Impala which suggests there might have been a shower somewhere, but I don't remember any during or after The Last Shadow Puppets, and it was sunny mixed with cloud for Tame Impala's set. New Order was dry as far as I can remember (although I remember feeling fairly miserable during it, so might have been cold/windy).

Sunday was fairly rainy all afternoon/evening.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Definitely don't think it was too bad during the festival. I bought a new poncho to put over my rainjacket and daypack should it get really bad, but never used it.  The only time I stood in the rain was while watching DakhaBrakha. 

The terrain was as bad as I have ever seen it though due to all the rain beforehand. Just looked at the new webcam. Lots of puddles next to the Pyramid now.