Glastocam!

pauladam

Some years ago now, the trackway staff would come and drink in the village pub. They were all drinking Fosters, but happened to see some locals drinking orange pints. Upon enquiry, we told them it was Cheddar Valley cider. It was being sold at £1 a pint as the barrel was left over from a wedding. The trackway lot decided they wanted to try this. We did warn them to take it easy…..they didn’t listen. Some very merry folks left the pub that night. In fact we could hear them late in the night outside the front of the Crown, playing a game of “he’s got a pineapple on his head” game. This involves, singing the lyrics and then attempting to smash a pineapple on the top of one’s head. If it smashes, you win. The road outside was covered in pineapple mush the next day.

Next day they were putting up the fence at the far end of the site, away from any long drops. Apparently it was carnage. Anyone who knows Cheddar  valley, knows the affect it can have on the digestive system if unused to its content.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A video of how the fence goes up:

And another, good for anyone planning a break in: 😅

Plus I remember stumbling across this video by some of the blokes putting it up a few years back while on a vlog binge:

I remember watching that last one and being so fucking jealous of the lads using their bodies for something other than typing and clicking a mouse, out in the open, in the sun.

Didn't show the times it was shitting it down on them, but it briefly felt like a wonderful way to live.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Plus I remember stumbling across this video by some of the blokes putting it up a few years back while on a vlog binge:

I'm surprised by how much of the other side of the fence is hedges. Looks like lots of cover....

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm surprised by how much of the other side of the fence is hedges. Looks like lots of cover....

Cover doesn’t get you over the fence. The amount of noise you’re going to make trying to get a ladder through the bushes will have security on you in no time. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Cover doesn’t get you over the fence. The amount of noise you’re going to make trying to get a ladder through the bushes will have security on you in no time. 

There’s other more natural stuff that can be hidden and that doesn’t make such a noise though 

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Is it just me that watched those and thought, “I reckon I could climb it”? 
Am I a typical white privileged male who reckons they’re invincible or could I actually pull it off? I am pretty athletic… 

27 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Is it just me that watched those and thought, “I reckon I could climb it”? 
Am I a typical white privileged male who reckons they’re invincible or could I actually pull it off? I am pretty athletic… 

I think the real issue is finding a spot that's between observation towers, timing it to avoid the patrols and then picking a spot that doesn't land you in either a staff campsite or on top of more security on the other side. 

5 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

There's also at least 20 holes in the fence.

I've said this before - but in no scenario would going over or under the fence be the easiest or most sensible option. There's so many gates, each with their own operational quirks. Sit watching one of them operate for an hour and anyone with a bit of nous will spot a way in. I know exactly what Gate and method I'd try if I ever felt the need.

Edited by incident

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I think the real issue is finding a spot that's between observation towers, timing it to avoid the patrols and then picking a spot that doesn't land you in either a staff campsite or on top of more security on the other side. 

I think it’s doable, but you need to do a bit of recon, ideally you’d need a ticket for the year before you need to break in so you can check out where guard towers are etc. and then hope they don’t move the next year, or have some mates with tickets who could do that for you. Patrols should be easy enough to work out if you spend a bit of time observing them before you attempt to break in, plenty of bushes to hide in to do that. It’s something I’d love to do just to see if I could do it, but hope to never be in a position to have to.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

40 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'd love to know the stats on break-ins. Of course, the successful ones won't be known, but there must be a good few captured each year. It must be so exhilarating to try!

I had to go off site in 2017 (I think) and gave a lift to a hitchhiker that was trying to get in. He had tried a few times already, I dropped him out near the CV east end. He had been caught a couple of times already, and the pain in the neck was that security always took them back to the PGA area and released them. So they then had to get to wherever their next attempt was to be made. Some of his group were in, but he did say this was to be his last go, and if he failed he was going to stay with friends in Taunton or something like that. He was very cheerful 🙂