Glastocam!

pauladam

I wonder if they are building earlier to mitigate the risk of the ground being ruined by all the lorries etc if we see similar rainfall on the run up? Get it done early, where feasible, so the ground can chill out a bit in the last week.

Im surprised the earlier build hasn't been mentioned in the really big secret thread to support the possibility of a full Wednesday and Thursday timetable with Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, Greenday, Prodigy etc etc and free ice cream for everyone.

Edited by Dave_c

23 hours ago, broken monkey said:

Super nerdy post alert!

Interesting to compare the fence line this year to last year for behind The Park. Looks like they're installing the fence higher up the hill this year. Think this field is crew camping though

2016.jpg

2017.jpg

So whats going up there?  It was matked like that on the map.

Looks too steep to be camping to make up for that taken by Carmageddon - is it part of the big secret or just another good viewpoint to chill out at.

2 minutes ago, Northtim said:

So whats going up there?  It was matked like that on the map.

Looks too steep to be camping to make up for that taken by Carmageddon - is it part of the big secret or just another good viewpoint to chill out at.

Shows as staff camping on the map. 

2 hours ago, Dave_c said:

I wonder if they are building earlier to mitigate the risk of the ground being ruined by all the lorries etc if we see similar rainfall on the run up? Get it done early, where feasible, so the ground can chill out a bit in the last week.

Yeah I think you're onto something there - if all the heavy vehicles have left the site a couple of weeks before the start, then we won't get that churning up of the ground just before the massed crowds descend

On 5/12/2017 at 1:08 PM, broken monkey said:

Super nerdy post alert!

Interesting to compare the fence line this year to last year for behind The Park. Looks like they're installing the fence higher up the hill this year. Think this field is crew camping though

2016.jpg

2017.jpg

Well spotted.

This will also give the twix powered fence jumpers a lot more incentive / confidence, being much nearer to that tree line so much better for cover - pre ladder stage:)

10 hours ago, Dave_c said:

I wonder if they are building earlier to mitigate the risk of the ground being ruined by all the lorries etc if we see similar rainfall on the run up? Get it done early, where feasible, so the ground can chill out a bit in the last week

I'm sure they have too, they always seem to leave things until the last minute every year and they really got caught out last year, they didn't manage things well in the end as they were backed into a corner by leaving so many things until the end and i think it scared the living daylights out of them, really close to a major closedown of the site and if they were in that situation again the HSE / MDC would jump right on them. Better for everyone to get things done early - spreads out the obsessive nature of us all:)

9 hours ago, duke88 said:

I wouldn't want to be camped on a hill that steep! Can't imagine it be the most comfortable night's sleep.

my first year i was in hawkwell and we had a decent spot but that hill up at the back just below the farm? (which by the way is almost as good as park hill for sitting with a can overlooking the site but a lot harsher to climb due to rough ground) yeah latecomers were pitching right on that slope.....some of them were almost at a vertical angle....god knows where they would have ended up if theyd rolled around a bit to much at night!

Edited by waterfalls212434

Isn't the hat is usually on the ribbon tower by now? Perhaps it's not there yet as it's being modified in some way for the 10th anniversay?

EE posted a piccy of it sat on a trailer on Instagram a few weeks back, can't see why else wouldn't of stuck it up there when the crane was in to build the rest of the tower.

Hmmm

• Upvote 1

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:26 PM, waterfalls212434 said:

my first year i was in hawkwell and we had a decent spot but that hill up at the back just below the farm? (which by the way is almost as good as park hill for sitting with a can overlooking the site but a lot harsher to climb due to rough ground) yeah latecomers were pitching right on that slope.....some of them were almost at a vertical angle....god knows where they would have ended up if theyd rolled around a bit to much at night!

We always camp at the top of Michaels Mead where it flattens out and see these tents pitched on the slope of Hawkwell every year, I always wonder how the hell they sleep in them.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Urgh, you have to feel for the crew putting up the fence when the webcam looks like it does now.

It's not that bad! I'd rather be there than in my office this morning.

We've got puddles next to the pyramid though! :unsure:

Edited by mjsell

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Urgh, you have to feel for the crew putting up the fence when the webcam looks like it does now.

It's amazing how quickly it goes from dustbowl to puddle-fest.  I live 90 miles West of the site, and we've had heavy rain all night and the local news is threatening us with 7 days more rain.  The webcam could be depressing viewing for a while.

13 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I'll take depressing viewing this week rather than in a month or so's time.

Edit: Heh, the people building the Other look like little Doozers. :)

Related image

"Ah dream a dream and make it true
That's what Doozers like to do
And building is the Doozer way to go two three four
'Cause every day the world is new
There's dreams to pay attention to
And building is the surest way we know two three four
Set your shoulder
Move that boulder
'Up two three four 'up two three four ...."

• Upvote 1