Glastocam!

pauladam

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

I'll be hoping to see the Ribbon Tower this week, and maybe the Park stage early next month. I recall that's one of the first things to go up.

Even though it's the stage I am 'least interested' in, I love seeing the Other Stage gradually evolve into being behind the Pyramid.

Oh, what a time to be alive!

Ben

With everything starting a little earlier and Emily Eavis saying they were going to cram in 2 years worth of music into one festival what are the chances of some of the larger stages having acts performing on the Thursday?  I'm aware there maybe licence constraints, and I could be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 78 but I get a feeling something is going on.

3 minutes ago, Padgey said:

With everything starting a little earlier and Emily Eavis saying they were going to cram in 2 years worth of music into one festival what are the chances of some of the larger stages having acts performing on the Thursday?  I'm aware there maybe licence constraints, and I could be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 78 but I get a feeling something is going on.

Pretty much zero chance of that.

In order to put on any live music on the larger stages, they'd have to get permission from Mendip Council. And it'd be impossible to do that secretly as the locals need the chance to object etc - which they would do.

I don't think there's much chance that the Festival would book acts without having the permission in place or at least a reasonable assurance that they're likely to get the permission, and so essentially if that was happening we'd have heard something about it months ago.

5 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I think we'd know as there would have to be licencing applications and nothing gets passed the people on this board. There may be something like Leftfield being open, this has happened before, but I can't see any of the big stages opening up.

Cheers guys, informative as always.  Although I wasn't suggesting it would be done secretly but announced closer to the time but I never thought about permission having to be ran by the locals, and as you both say there are plenty of people on here that would've brought it to our attention if that was the case.

I'm still intrigued as to why they are setting up a couple of weeks earlier! 

1 minute ago, Padgey said:

Cheers guys, informative as always.  Although I wasn't suggesting it would be done secretly but announced closer to the time but I never thought about permission having to be ran by the locals, and as you both say there are plenty of people on here that would've brought it to our attention if that was the case.

maybe they're just giving themselves a bit more breathing space after last year, when the weather messed things up during the build.  i think some areas were not finished in 2016.

1 minute ago, Padgey said:

Just now, fatyeti24 said:

maybe they're just giving themselves a bit more breathing space after last year, when the weather messed things up during the build.  i think some areas were not finished in 2016.

I was just about to say the same thing. They always seem to still be building up until the last minute, The Other being the case in point when they were delayed due to some form of weather based carnage at Download having a knock on effect to items that were needed. As a result, James were on about an hour late as trucks spread wood chippings in front of the stage before letting people in. If they can get the stages built up sooner, they will have a little more leeway should something similar arise. 

12 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

That seems by far to be the most likely explanation.  I'm lending the "double the bands" statement very little credibility.  Even if it was Emily not Michael who has been saying it.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Last year was badly affected by rain. The Whitelake overtopped and flooded areas needed for access on the Friday and made movement off hardstanding near impossible across site without creating the Somme effect. A lot of the build didnt finish until the Friday of the festival in areas. SE corner was particularly bad. I have been told that it was so bad Health and Safety were seriously considering cancellation so that is why the gates opened early. ME reasoned that once there were lots on site it had to go ahead and H&S couldn't do anything about it without starting a riot.

3 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Last year was badly affected by rain. The Whitelake overtopped and flooded areas needed for access on the Friday and made movement off hardstanding near impossible across site without creating the Somme effect. A lot of the build didnt finish until the Friday of the festival in areas. SE corner was particularly bad. I have been told that it was so bad Health and Safety were seriously considering cancellation so that is why the gates opened early. ME reasoned that once there were lots on site it had to go ahead and H&S couldn't do anything about it without starting a riot.

Wow. So last year was nearly called off last minute!? 

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I am feeling the ribbon tower will be up in days 

i everything is starting earlier then the fence should be on it's way up shortly 

I'm not convinced that the fence will go up any earlier than usual - it should start arriving in about 10-14 days anyway by usual schedule so it's almost due anyway.

So far the stuff we're seeing (pyramid, ribbon tower, etc) is all equipment owned by the Festival - my guess is that they're looking to get the stuff that they can do "for free" out of the way as early as possible, and then all the rental stuff (fence, tents, stages) will arrive broadly on the usual schedules and with less distractions as the core stuff is already done.