Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The trick at any Roses gig is to get really drunk and sing louder than Ian Brown when he opens his gob.

Good tip this. Another tip is to get yourself to the Stonebridge  on Thursday, sing yourself hoarse, and then in the unlikely event the Roses do play, you've  already had your fix and can go see someone else.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

They aren't playing Glastonbury. 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Would they get more money from a MSG gig than they would at headlining Glasto? 

They still have a Glasto shaped hole in their itinerary. 

Could it be a shootout between The Roses, Radiohead and Muse for the final headline spot?

Just now, eastynh said:

Would they get more money from a MSG gig than they would at headlining Glasto? 

They still have a Glasto shaped hole in their itinerary. 

Could it be a shootout between The Roses, Radiohead and Muse for the final headline spot?

Or perhaps we could have someone relevant

7 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Or perhaps we could have someone relevant

How can bands who all sell out football stadiums in the UK and would all go to No 1 in the album charts if they released music not be considered relevant? 

Or by relevant do you mean a band that up and coming? 

I would definitely not watch Muse or Radiohead and only peer pressure would get me to watch Stone Roses as I want to watch LCD Soundsystem, but I find it a bit silly to suggest these bands are not relevant. The age demographic is far different at Glastonbury than any other festival I have ever been. Justin Bieber is apparently the hip and new headline act. All 3 of the bands stated would imo get a far bigger crowd at Glastonbury. How are they not relevant?

Edited by eastynh

Just now, stocky3000 said:

in your (and my) opinion in terms of quality output
4 nights at Wembley would say this is their peak

Weird isn't it. It doesn't feel like they're anywhere near as big now as they were when they played the Paralympics, or when Viva La Vida came out, and yet they're still selling out stadiums like nobody's business

6 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

Sheeran did 3 and he was the first to do that

And what's more they were specifically marketed as his only UK gigs of the year, whereas Coldplay are doing four nights at Wembley and two nights at the Etihad and a night at Hampden, it's ridiculous

Edited by Zac Quinn

5 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

So..... the Roses are back in the question?

Nah people tend to not think so. It is an intriguing gap in their schedule though. People are saying the £££ is the issue. 

I know nothing about the finances involved in regards to festivals and concerts. Yet I find it a bit dubious that they would earn more from a gig at Maddison Square Garden than they would from playing Glastonbury. I may be miles wide of the mark though.

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Nah people tend to not think so. It is an intriguing gap in their schedule though. People are saying the £££ is the issue. 

I know nothing about the finances involved in regards to festivals and concerts. Yet I find it a bit dubious that they would earn more from a gig at Maddison Square Garden than they would from playing Glastonbury. I may be miles wide of the mark though.

From what I gather, Gkastonbury headliners get GBP 200,000 or thereabouts. Whereas IOW for example pays up to 1M. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, this is just what I've picked up over the years on this board)

MSG holds 20,000, and if you charge them 50 quid a ticket, that's a gross of 1M.  You still have to pay the staff and overheads, but then merch absolutely rakes in the dough. I'd say MSG would be a much bigger payday for any band that plays there.

But the Glasto gig can be profitable in the post-event album sales...

Edited by maelzoid

I personally think that gap in the roses schedule is due to glastonbury, but not because theyre playing. Having big shows like that over glastonbury would potentially have an impact on sales for gigs falling G weekend.

I could be wrong but as a band who seem to want to maximise profit in everyway, ensuring theres no glastp crossover would only help that.

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

From what I gather, Gkastonbury headliners get GBP 200,000 or thereabouts. Whereas IOW for example pays up to 1M. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, this is just what I've picked up over the years on this board)

MSG holds 20,000, and if you charge them 50 quid a ticket, that's a gross of 1M.  You still have to pay the staff and overheads, but then merch absolutely rakes in the dough. I'd say MSG would be a much bigger payday for any band that plays there.

But the Glasto gig can be profitable in the post-event album sales...

But, again, post-TV album sales only happen if the performance is good and the Roses are notoriously touch-and-go in that regard

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I find it kind of sad that a band would turn down the best part of £50000 a member for less than 2 hours work. There really is more to life than money.

Edited by eastynh