Kanye west confirmed

mike99

Him pulling out in a strop might be worth a cheeky quid or two! (Wonder if there is conditions, like it has to be a rant and not him injuring himself)

Can't believe the Eavi would ever realisticly pull the plug unless he got convicted of something rather unpleasant

Him pulling out in a strop might be worth a cheeky quid or two! (Wonder if there is conditions, like it has to be a rant and not him injuring himself)

Can't believe the Eavi would ever realisticly pull the plug unless he got convicted of something rather unpleasant

he won't pull out - the man doesn't care what others think of him. he thinks of himself as the be all to end all, and so if he wants to play Glastonbury, he'll do it

and nah, have they ever pulled the plug on anybody? seems very un-Glastonbury

I thought Jay Z had supposedly paved the way for rappers to headline Glastonbury? Do Glastonbury goers hate Hip Hop? Are Glastonbury goers racist?................i would not have thought so...........it would sadden be to think I was wrong on this.

Hip Hop, as far as I have experienced, has been embraced for manys a year by the festival and its goers.......Cypress Hill, Snoop, Jurrasic Five, Public Enemy, N.E.R.D, Wu-Tang Clan, Kool Keith etc etc, on and on...........

Is the reaction to Kanye really about Hip Hop headlining? If so, thats fucking sad and pretty God darn ridiculous.

I was under the impression that most people who have an issue with this booking have an issue because the guy comes across as an utter self obsessed egotistical dick and that attitude does not sit well with a lot of folk. Am I wrong? Is it all about the music, why folk are up in arms? I was personally under the impression that if Kanye was as successful as he is, but less of a asshole that this would not be an issue. Is there nothing in that train of thought? Am I naive and it is actually about peoples issue with the black mans music?

The day after we have Kanye do his thing and no doubt rant, preach and ego massage on the Pyramid we will have the Dali Lama occupy the same space and speak to the masses...............bizzare it the extreme, but thats what one gets at such a festival...............

I wonder if Dre came out of retirement and was announced as a headliner would the reaction be the same?

Do Glastonbury goers hate Hip Hop? Are Glastonbury goers racist?................i would not have thought so...........it would sadden be to think I was wrong on this.

It's hard to tell what exactly is driving the anti-Kanye-ers - and it's probably not the same reasons for everyone anyway.

However, it's quite possible for someone to accept some 'black acts' whilst still rejecting a whole genre such as hip-hop due to racism. There's more than just skin colour itself that can trigger racism.

It's hard to tell what exactly is driving the anti-Kanye-ers - and it's probably not the same reasons for everyone anyway.

However, it's quite possible for someone to accept some 'black acts' whilst still rejecting a whole genre such as hip-hop due to racism. There's more than just skin colour itself that can trigger racism.

True. But with Kanye I thought he makes it easy for people to hate him irrespective of music style or skin colour.

My experience of Snoop alone at the festival would suggest to me that those who attend, in the main, dont have the issues some say define the hate for the Kanye booking. It was the middle of the day and the field was jammers. Especially at the pinch points near Mandela and the markets. Not Dolly jammers by any stretch but definitely not sparse as Glasto goers would rather be elsewhere than listen to and watch a black man perform his angry black man music.................

I think the Brits performance didn't help him, people with a 'fear' of black people would have seen that and their underlying racism may have been sparked into life. I definitely saw people on social media that I wouldn't have thought would be in the slightest bit racist talking about 'load of hood rats' 'at least they're not out on the rob' etc, I think Snoop has a far more favourable image for a lot of those sorts of people

This is the problem.

A lot of Kanye's stuff has passed me by since Late Registration (which I bought at the time and think is a decent album - no more really) but I've delved into his back catalogue since he was announced and recognised hardly any of it and disliked most of it.

However, it seems like if you voice a negative opinion about him now, some people automatically label you a racist. I am not a racist. I am not a hater of 'black acts' (a horrible phrase!) or a hater of hip-hop or, to be honest, Kanye West. I tend to avoid the 'celebrity' shite that so called journalists pedal as news so don't really have an opinion on him outside of his music. The stuff he's doing these days (which is verging away from what would usually be classified as hip hop anyway) just isn't my bag and that's the reason I won't be watching him, nothing else.

A theory for the lineup not coming out yet.

Kanye was confirmed, and the response was pretty aggressive, to say the least. Emily grew angry, and wrote an opinion piece for the guardian. Alas, the petition continued to grow strong, up to 130,000 people, and a search of 'glastonbury' into twitter still threw up a high percentage of people moaning about Kanye.

Emily decided to take revenge. One dark and stormy night, she rings up Prince, Radiohead and Blur, who she'd booked in a historic treble headline slot, and tells them she feels the glastonbury petition starters, serial moaners, and, hell, the general public at large, needed to realise that asking unspecifically for guitar music over a critically acclaimed act on top of his genre Kanye wasn't necessarily smart or wise, so would they mind waiting a year or three? She then walks over to a big red button in her office, and mercilessly presses it.

Booking Snow Patrol in the Sunday headline slot instead. The lineup will be out when small bits on the contract are tidied up.

Anger fades away from Kanye, and onto snow patrol, keeping everyone happy. Snow Patrol feel interesting, as they are made odds on favourites to pull out (which they are far too boring to actually do), and Kanye's massive ego continues, unchallenged.

Acts from niche genres are always going to get a negative reaction. That's why they are a niche genre: because they arent popular with the masses.

The same thing happened last time a niche act headlined, Metallica last year.

If eminem was due to headline there would be a petition to stop him playing too I reckon.

I am sure there is a small element of racism in all this, but I dont believe that's the driving force behind people not wanting him to play.

For most people I suspect it comes down to the fact they think hip hop is shit and kanye west is a c**t.

What Kanye West album should I try before Glastonbury if I decide I wanna watch Kanye?

I know nothing about his genre at all, although the only songs I know (Goldigger and the 2 with McCartney) I don't dislike.

(p.s To give you an idea of my usual music taste, my favourite artists are Damien Rice, Jamie T and Frightened Rabbit.)

What Kanye West album should I try before Glastonbury if I decide I wanna watch Kanye?

I know nothing about his genre at all, although the only songs I know (Goldigger and the 2 with McCartney) I don't dislike.

(p.s To give you an idea of my usual music taste, my favourite artists are Damien Rice, Jamie T and Frightened Rabbit.)

well i don't think you're gonna find an album of his that sounds like any of those acts you've listed, but give My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy a listen

Edited by FloorFiller