Kanye west confirmed

mike99

I am fine with whoever headlines if you don't like them or him you can go to another stage. It's all about the range of music and entertainment and you can always find something you can enjoy.

I really like the Park Stage, Leftfield and the Green Room bar.

• Downvote 1

Brilliant response to this from Emily in the Graun

Emily Eavis was born the first year I started going in 1979 so she was five in 1984 so I find it laughable that she would know anything about what people thought in 1984 and seeing there was no Internet then how would she possible know what people thought that year.
Hawkwind played in 1981 so she would have been two .
I would not call Kanye ' One of the world’s biggest superstars ' - in fact I had never heard his name before and would not have a clue if he was sitting next to me on the Tube.
they can put on what they want but they have to accept that not everyone will agree with their choice
and sorry all this bollocks about ' He has agreed to play a festival where headliners get paid a fraction of their normal rate in support of Oxfam, Water Aid and Greenpeace as well as thousands of other worthy causes. '
with National exposure on TV ' he should be Paying them to play '
its likely that U2 would not be the band they are just now if it was not for their performance at Live Aid.
in fact putting on someone who I have no clue about their music is doing me a favour as for sure ' if I get a place this year ' I will be no where near the Pyramid stage.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

Emily Eavis was born the first year I started going in 1979 so she was five in 1984 so I find it laughable that she would know anything about what people thought in 1984 and seeing there was no Internet then how would she possible know what people thought that year.

She's talked in interviews about The Smiths being her earliest festival memory. Maybe most of us wouldn't have much of an inkling about what was going with reception of The Smiths in 1984 if were 5 at the time, but we didn't grow up in the festival HQ with our dad running the thing. I remember knowing every in-and-out of the saga of some guy at my mum's work who was trying to undermine her and get her sacked, this happened when I was in my first year of school. Nobody ever spoke to me directly about it, and I had no clue of anything that goes on in a workplace, or what my mum's job even was, but I absorbed loads of it because it was a huge part of my parents' lives at the time. I might have been a bit clueless if you'd have asked my 5 or 6 year old self what was going on, but now I'm a grown man who understands what a workplace is like, I have a perspective on it and know pretty much exactly what went on as I've seen similar things happen at my work.

tl;dr version; yes, she does know what she's talking about.

But that does not explain how she knew what people thought - none of us did in those times as they certainly was no forum where people could pass on information and comments - so if she picked up things from her father then it was only his view - The Original Glastonbury Festival Website started in 1998 so before that there was nothing.
  • Downvote 3

Everyone agrees the Rolling Stones were shit though, right? If anything, they lowered my expectations of who the headliners would be... Thought we might be stuck with pensioners trying desperately to remain relevant forever.

By everyone, I take it you mean you? The Stones were unbelievably good.

I've never met a person before who liked that, but it looks like I finally have. Fair enough, to each their own!

Were you there in person pr did you see them on TV? The TV performance was not as well received as the actual performance was. The tens of thousands of people around me who were having the time of their lives will tell you a different story.

I would not call Kanye ' One of the world’s biggest superstars ' - in fact I had never heard his name before and would not have a clue if he was sitting next to me on the Tube.

well he is one of the world's biggest superstars. the fact that you haven't heard of him just says that you're thoroughly ignorant of music and culture in general. whatever about not liking his music/him, not hearing his name before just highlights how dreadfully out of touch you come across.

Were you there in person pr did you see them on TV? The TV performance was not as well received as the actual performance was. The tens of thousands of people around me who were having the time of their lives will tell you a different story.

I watched on TV and I still thought they were great!

Ronnie Wood has spoken about it!

Ronnie Wood Speaking to The Mirror

Ronnie said: "Its bloody ridiculous that Kanye is the headline act this year. It p****s me off so I try not to think about it too much.

"Glastonbury is the home of rock music and, look, Kanye isnt rock.

"Hes a great entertainer and he knows how to captivate an audience with all his swearing, but when it comes to what that festival is about, its the wrong choice."

He added: "Good luck to the man I dont know if hell survive when hes on that stage.

"People who go there for rock music are starting to get very angry about all these rappers and RnB singers taking over."

Go Ronnie!!

• Downvote 5

Ronnie Wood has spoken about it!

Ronnie Wood Speaking to The Mirror

Ronnie said: "Its bloody ridiculous that Kanye is the headline act this year. It p****s me off so I try not to think about it too much.

"Glastonbury is the home of rock music and, look, Kanye isnt rock.

"Hes a great entertainer and he knows how to captivate an audience with all his swearing, but when it comes to what that festival is about, its the wrong choice."

He added: "Good luck to the man I dont know if hell survive when hes on that stage.

"People who go there for rock music are starting to get very angry about all these rappers and RnB singers taking over."

Go Ronnie!!

There is only one Ronnie that I listen to and that's my rugby coach. I really think although it was a great profile raiser for the festival with The Rolling Stones playing BUT he somewhat underestimates the open mindedness of the Glastonbury festival goer, and also suggests that Glasto is the home of rock music and only rock. It's the home of a lit of other music as well.

Also I highly doubt he is a Nostradamus type figure by that last post.

Edited by willutalk

Does that really need an exclamation mark? Is it that exciting? Have we all been waiting with baited breath to hear what Ronnie Wood's opinion of this year's headliners is?

Well he did join a band after theyd written all their fucking amazing songs, so he's a big authority