Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

11 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

between the initial line up poster, block 9 announcement and these self confirmations it is surely set to be one of the best overall Glastonbury line ups in years. perhaps ever.... might be OTT on that but it is coming together very nicely. Let's hope we have the conditions to match! :lol:

Yeah it's looking fucking packed this year. Also consider we really don't have a fucking clue what Friday Arcadia is going to throw up 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Hey! I kinda forked out a lot for my equipment. I have 2x Pioneer XDJ 700s and an Allen and Health Mixer - I also have a reloop 7000 turntable (just the one at the moment but i'l get another soon - same as you I don't have the space for it).

I'm quite vanilla in terms of how I get my music - I alternate between digital downloads, that I analyse through standard rekordbox and keep on my USB - I also have a record collection (still working on the size of that though - got about 35 records which I believe is tiny for me).

Ideally, I don't like to use software other than to analyse records so like if you want tips on using software I can't really help you. But if you aren't arsed with all that it's good - having a controller kinda means you have to use software though

I hope this helps - timecode is definitely worth it though if you wanna get the grips of vinyl without purchasing a boatload of records

Cheers mate, thanks for your input. Vinyl is not really the problem as I have shitloads of it. The problem now is that I have nowhere to store any more really. I have attached a pic of my set up so you can see I am a little restricted for space. I have a few more boxes in my house and loads in my mums garage. There is literally no more room for any more at present (unless it is on my most wanted list)

Have bought myself some new decks and a new mixer recently as mine had been used and abused over the last 15 or so years. After saying I would never dj out again (Was fed up with all the other stuff that goes with it) I have played a couple of gigs recently and really enjoyed it.

Now I would like to start getting new stuff. ideally it would be on vinyl but I appreciate it is not practical from both a space point of view and with playing out (lugging crates of vinyl about in taxis is not a very nice experience).

I am not really after advice on using software. I don't want any sync buttons or anything like. I want something that resembles using vinyl. I think Matt Ed Banger might be right in that I could use the Pioneer software with the time coded vinyl at home and then use Rekordbox to put the tunes on memory stick or cd if I do play out.

Yet I just wanted peoples opinions on Midi controllers. I would be interested in getting one if someone can recommend one that is fun to use. I don't really want to buy one and it just gathers dust at home while I continue just playing on my decks. I also wondered if anyone uses Ableton to dj and what it is like.

Cheers for the advice anyway Matt and Matt

resized pic.jpg

Edited by eastynh

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Shed, unless you already know him? Pitched somewhere between acid and techno he has a bucket load of tunes under his own name and some aliases such as Head High and WK7 

Whether he will be playing this style at Glasto I don't know but I reckon this comes under the term modern classic! :

also found this just now which is mint!

Cheers mate, will have a listen.

56 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Yeah it's looking fucking packed this year. Also consider we really don't have a fucking clue what Friday Arcadia is going to throw up 

Hopefully someone like Shades of Rhythm opening again. That was fantastic last year and one of my highlights.

23 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Cheers mate, thanks for your input. Vinyl is not really the problem as I have shitloads of it. The problem now is that I have nowhere to store any more really. I have attached a pic of my set up so you can see I am a little restricted for space. I have a few more boxes in my house and loads in my mums garage. There is literally no more room for any more at present (unless it is on my most wanted list)

Have bought myself some new decks and a new mixer recently as mine had been used and abused over the last 15 or so years. After saying I would never dj out again (Was fed up with all the other stuff that goes with it) I have played a couple of gigs recently and really enjoyed it.

Now I would like to start getting new stuff. ideally it would be on vinyl but I appreciate it is not practical from both a space point of view and with playing out (lugging crates of vinyl about in taxis is not a very nice experience).

I am not really after advice on using software. I don't want any sync buttons or anything like. I want something that resembles using vinyl. I think Matt Ed Banger might be right in that I could use the Pioneer software with the time coded vinyl at home and then use Rekordbox to put the tunes on memory stick or cd if I do play out.

Yet I just wanted peoples opinions on Midi controllers. I would be interested in getting one if someone can recommend one that is fun to use. I don't really want to buy one and it just gathers dust at home while I continue just playing on my decks. I also wondered if anyone uses Ableton to dj and what it is like.

Cheers for the advice anyway Matt and Matt

resized pic.jpg

My experience with midi controllers is mixed, I currently use the Traktor S4, which is good fun to use just because of the extra 'stuff' you can do with them, loops are easy, samples and vocals can be thrown in etc, but you don't get the same feeling you get with vinyl for obvious reasons. I have had a play with with the Pioneer midi controllers which feel more like CDJ's more fun because the platters are better but still lacks something for me. I think my main issue with digital is the super accurate bpm counters, even without sync you just slide the pitch shift until they match and it's done, few tweaks here and there and you're sorted. 

I think the best option is timecode, let's you have the fun on vinyl with the accuracy of digital and means you can transition your understanding of the software etc across a few different things. 

My set up is desperate for a reboot but I barely touch my controller these days, so spending over a grand and new stuff is probably an unwise investment. Get yourself to a local DJ shop and they'll let you have a play. 

In terms of Ableton, I've tried DJing with it, but I found it's a pain to learn and there's tons of pre-prep that goes into beatgridding the tracks and stuff, but my knowledge of the programme is really limited. I do fancy having a mix now though....

23 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

My experience with midi controllers is mixed, I currently use the Traktor S4, which is good fun to use just because of the extra 'stuff' you can do with them, loops are easy, samples and vocals can be thrown in etc, but you don't get the same feeling you get with vinyl for obvious reasons. I have had a play with with the Pioneer midi controllers which feel more like CDJ's more fun because the platters are better but still lacks something for me. I think my main issue with digital is the super accurate bpm counters, even without sync you just slide the pitch shift until they match and it's done, few tweaks here and there and you're sorted. 

I think the best option is timecode, let's you have the fun on vinyl with the accuracy of digital and means you can transition your understanding of the software etc across a few different things. 

My set up is desperate for a reboot but I barely touch my controller these days, so spending over a grand and new stuff is probably an unwise investment. Get yourself to a local DJ shop and they'll let you have a play. 

In terms of Ableton, I've tried DJing with it, but I found it's a pain to learn and there's tons of pre-prep that goes into beatgridding the tracks and stuff, but my knowledge of the programme is really limited. I do fancy having a mix now though....

Cheers Matt

I think the time coded vinyl's are a good place to start. They are pretty cheap and I already have the software. Plus if I get any bookings then it will be for old skool anyway, so I would just use vinyl. I would like to play some nu skool breaks. Much prefer breaks to house these days. So maybe head in that direction with new stuff.

There are no dj superstores in Manchester anymore, soundbase has gone. I would still like to try a controller but will just get the vinyl for now.

Edited by eastynh

4 minutes ago, OBface said:

Has anyone caught the Black Madonna XOYO residency yet? Thinking of heading down for the 5th.

I went for the pre show before it kicked off. I can see why it's lot of fun, you'l definitely have a good time

I'm not 21 yet so i'm not allowed in lol. I wanted to go for the Ben UFO night

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I went for the pre show before it kicked off. I can see why it's lot of fun, you'l definitely have a good time

I'm not 21 yet so i'm not allowed in lol. I wanted to go for the Ben UFO night

Ah Matt I forget just what a youngster you are at times! There are other dates I'd probably prefer tbh but the 5th is when my pals are going so probably my only shout. 

55 minutes ago, OBface said:

Has anyone caught the Black Madonna XOYO residency yet? Thinking of heading down for the 5th.

Sadly not. The last entry times have always restricted me from ever getting to XOYO not being a London lad.

Hopefully she will be bringing her party to worthy farm though.

Edited by The60ftOctopus
did a silly

58 minutes ago, OBface said:

Went last week when she played with Job Jobse and Mike Servito.  Was very surprised when I turned up to see she wasn't djing on her own, rather doing a B2b with each dj in between them having their own solo slots.  Wasn't overly impressed with much of it (actually found the guy upstairs was playing better music) but the final hour was supposedly a b2b with Servito and it ended up being mostly her, and it was outstanding.

At a fiver it's a no brainer, I will probably look to go again before her residency is done.

2 hours ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Sadly not. The last entry times have always restricted me from ever getting to XOYO not being a London lad.

I work but don't live in London. Can often be see looking very worse for wear waiting to catching the first train back from St Pancras of a morning :) 

1 hour ago, Cieran said:

Please!!

Send me your details and I'll try my very best!

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Has anyone heard from @FloorFiller?

I pm'd him yesterday to see if he wanted a hand tonight but haven't heard anything...

1 hour ago, Morgs74 said:

Went last week when she played with Job Jobse and Mike Servito.  Was very surprised when I turned up to see she wasn't djing on her own, rather doing a B2b with each dj in between them having their own solo slots.  Wasn't overly impressed with much of it (actually found the guy upstairs was playing better music) but the final hour was supposedly a b2b with Servito and it ended up being mostly her, and it was outstanding.

At a fiver it's a no brainer, I will probably look to go again before her residency is done.

Thanks - the 5th is her all night so hopefully will be a bit better.

Edited by OBface