Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

12 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I saw Joe Goddard on his new solo venture last night, it wad fantastic. There's a much more groovy/electronic feel to his live show, it's almost like he's tempted to burst into a rave 

So keen for this but can only see that he'll be a clash victim - surely he'll have to have a late night slot, any chance he'll be after the headliners do you think? 

#clutchingatstraws

10 minutes ago, Time Being said:

Is it with a full-on band? Count me in if so. The new tunes sound good.

On a separate note, I've really been enjoying Moderat since getting into them post-lineup release. Do we have any info on where/when they will be playing?

Moderat are a tough call but could possibly sub Justice, whatever stage they'll be on. 

1 hour ago, Cieran said:

Moderat are a tough call but could possibly sub Justice, whatever stage they'll be on. 

I could see that as well, but darkness would benefit them a lot. I know every band wants to play in the dark mind you. John Peel headliner could work. Park headliner would be amazing.

2 hours ago, Time Being said:

Is it with a full-on band? Count me in if so. The new tunes sound good.

On a separate note, I've really been enjoying Moderat since getting into them post-lineup release. Do we have any info on where/when they will be playing?

Nope just him, a whole bunch of gear (the electronic kind) and Valentina was with him last night. I suspect we'd get at least Alexis joining him at Glastonbury though.

Just thought i'd post this here because many of you understand the feeling

After mixing on cdjs for ages, and eventually buying a turntable a few months ago. I have to say I completely see why people switch solely to vinyl. It has taken me ages to get the hang of it but once it all clicks into place there's nothing else like it. I can't believe I'm becoming one of those 'vinyl superiority' w*nkers.

I still believe that it's not the be all and end all of DJing, but it definitely changes the way you look, feel and hear the tracks you have. I'm so glad I actually took the time to learn because I don't think I could go back now, I actually get such a joy out of getting records, checking out labels and using them in mixes / sets.

I know of course it's not for everyone, vinyl can be pretty catastrophic if you can make a mistake, mistakes are a bit harder to correct, but I have so much respect for DJs who stick with it and resist the growing trend of software etc.

Anyone else feel the same? I feel like despite the fact i'm more likely to play out on CDJs, the best form of practice at home for me is vinyl

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Just thought i'd post this here because many of you understand the feeling

After mixing on cdjs for ages, and eventually buying a turntable a few months ago. I have to say I completely see why people switch solely to vinyl. It has taken me ages to get the hang of it but once it all clicks into place there's nothing else like it. I can't believe I'm becoming one of those 'vinyl superiority' w*nkers.

I still believe that it's not the be all and end all of DJing, but it definitely changes the way you look, feel and hear the tracks you have. I'm so glad I actually took the time to learn because I don't think I could go back now, I actually get such a joy out of getting records, checking out labels and using them in mixes / sets.

I know of course it's not for everyone, vinyl can be pretty catastrophic if you can make a mistake, mistakes are a bit harder to correct, but I have so much respect for DJs who stick with it and resist the growing trend of software etc.

Anyone else feel the same? I feel like despite the fact i'm more likely to play out on CDJs, the best form of practice at home for me is vinyl

It's just a much more visceral thing, wrestling with the platter, the physical nature of mixing with vinyl is far more satisfying, less satisfying when you have to lug a load of records to play a gig though! Having said that, cdjs and now software setups have allowed me to be far more experimental with how I put together mixes, and having the ability to consistently mix across different genres adds it's own element of fun, I've not really mixed straight up 4/4 house and techno for a while now though, I like a bit more 'texture' to my mixes these days if that makes any sense? And house doesn't really provide that for me anymore - still love listening to it, but djing it just bores me a bit now. 

2 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

It's just a much more visceral thing, wrestling with the platter, the physical nature of mixing with vinyl is far more satisfying, less satisfying when you have to lug a load of records to play a gig though! Having said that, cdjs and now software setups have allowed me to be far more experimental with how I put together mixes, and having the ability to consistently mix across different genres adds it's own element of fun, I've not really mixed straight up 4/4 house and techno for a while now though, I like a bit more 'texture' to my mixes these days if that makes any sense? And house doesn't really provide that for me anymore - still love listening to it, but djing it just bores me a bit now. 

Yeah i get what you mean - i'm still big on the 4/4 beat but I love how vinyl beatmatching has taught me to hear beats that don't necessarily have kicks - I feel like it's taught me to know if tracks are the right speed instinctively 

But yeah, lugging around records isn't easy - but I think it teaches you to be selective and know your records

Just now, Matt42 said:

Yeah i get what you mean - i'm still big on the 4/4 beat but I love how vinyl beatmatching has taught me to hear beats that don't necessarily have kicks - I feel like it's taught me to know if tracks are the right speed instinctively 

But yeah, lugging around records isn't easy - but I think it teaches you to be selective and know your records

Yeah for sure, when it clicks it's a great feeling, and you're right, it makes you appreciate additional elements of tracks more because you haven't got the safety net of a super accurate bpm counter so you have to create your own mental cues within the tracks. 

Its just a really fun skill to have, but vinyl these days absolute kills the wallet too, I was lucky to have some really good 2nd hand record shops when I was at uni and picked up so many older bits and pieces for absolutely nothing, the only vinyl I buy now is limited releases really anyway. 

23 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I saw Joe Goddard on his new solo venture last night, it wad fantastic. There's a much more groovy/electronic feel to his live show, it's almost like he's tempted to burst into a rave 

Good to hear that it was excellent, Mez, and the almost-bursting-into-a-rave is what I needed to hear, as on first couple of listens I wasn't enormously taken by the new record. Just a little bit cheesy and :ph34r: disco-ey to me at times...

Ben

Edit  - though there are a couple of bangers on there too!

Edited by bennyhana22

19 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Good to hear that it was excellent, Mez, and the almost-bursting-into-a-rave is what I needed to hear, as on first couple of listens I wasn't enormously taken by the new record. Just a little bit cheesy and :ph34r: disco-ey to me at times...

Ben

Edit  - though there are a couple of bangers on there too!

I was the same Ben. On first listen I wasn't overly impressed. But I listened more and it grew on me lots and then seeing it live just kicked it up a notch. 

Just now, willsnewman said:

I was the same Ben. On first listen I wasn't overly impressed. But I listened more and it grew on me lots and then seeing it live just kicked it up a notch. 

That's perfect, as I was definitely intending to see him at Glastonbury and, maybe more excitingly, he's playing late night at Latitude, which could be really good as the Sunrise Arena at night can be a lot of fun.

Ben

Thoughts?

C-QeJUvXUAEXbZ_.jpg

• Hope Art's House (Artwork, Jackmaster, Midland and Peggy Gou) is a Boat Party and not Thursday 
  • Call Super - multiple sets then?
  • Digital Mystikz is a massive booking
  • Hessle Audio will be a boat party again, Shirley.
  • Forest Swords... interesting placement. @bennyhana22 might not be so happy.
  • Lobster Boy must be a boat party.
  • Shaggy is in there - that'll be rammo.

Wtf, so many decent names for Silver Hayes - Hunee & Antal, Call Super, Tennis, Schwarz, etc. Hoping for some multiple sets/big traffic Thursday, again.