Pink Floyd?

Woffy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at the stage now where I'd just like to see Pink Floyd songs at Glastonbury whether it's Gilmour or Waters doing them.

If Grandaddy and PJ Harvey are there too that would more than compensate for the possible Adele/Muse/Coldplay, and now that BMTH, omniboreathon.

I think it was mentioned somewhere that David Gilmour isn't doing back to back dates at different venues and, typically, he has a show in Warsaw on the Saturday so no Gilmour I'm afraid. Rog doing a festival would be nice as he's got a new album lined up so doesn't need the Wall setup but I doubt it would be Glastonbury.

59 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think it was mentioned somewhere that David Gilmour isn't doing back to back dates at different venues and, typically, he has a show in Warsaw on the Saturday so no Gilmour I'm afraid. Rog doing a festival would be nice as he's got a new album lined up so doesn't need the Wall setup but I doubt it would be Glastonbury.

That's not confirmed officially tho yet - perhaps I'm clutching at the the most clutchiest of straws!

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Rog doing a festival would be nice as he's got a new album lined up so doesn't need the Wall setup but I doubt it would be Glastonbury.

Surely Roger is a headliner tho? He's just done one of the largest tours of all time.

That might be 'The Wall' selling tickets but...

I tried to watch Roger Waters - The Wall last night. I'd always liked the album as a teenager, it was one of those albums you listened to with your headphones on after a smoke. I'd never understood the critical mauling it used to get when I read about it in magazines.

After watching it last night however, I think I may have been wrong and it is actually a bloated, egotistical load of shite. There's some decent tracks on it, dont get me wrong, but they're far outweighed by the duds. 

He comes across as a dick in it as well.

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Badlands said:

I tried to watch Roger Waters - The Wall last night. I'd always liked the album as a teenager, it was one of those albums you listened to with your headphones on after a smoke. I'd never understood the critical mauling it used to get when I read about it in magazines.

After watching it last night however, I think I may have been wrong and it is actually a bloated, egotistical load of shite. There's some decent tracks on it, dont get me wrong, but they're far outweighed by the duds. 

The Wall album certainly a curious one - full credit to Roger for the vision, but I find lots of it unlistenable, especially the theatrical bits.

Obviously the famous tracks - In The Flesh, Another Brick, Mother, Numb, Run Like Hell etc are classics - but the stuff in between?

50 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Surely Roger is a headliner tho? He's just done one of the largest tours of all time.

That might be 'The Wall' selling tickets but...

Yep, course. That's why I don't see it coming to Glastonbury - he's already headlined and I couldn't see it happening twice.

35 minutes ago, Badlands said:

A lot of the cutaway shit was unnecessary and I sort of agree that when some of those songs appear not as part of a continuous album listen but in between clips of Rog looking sad by gravestones then yeah they don't seem as good.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Yep, course. That's why I don't see it coming to Glastonbury - he's already headlined and I couldn't see it happening twice.

A lot of the cutaway shit was unnecessary and I sort of agree that when some of those songs appear not as part of a continuous album listen but in between clips of Rog looking sad by gravestones then yeah they don't seem as good.

I particularly cringed with Young Lust, the close ups of lasses arses on that big screen while Rog and his crew are singing about needing a dirty women. Ended up fast forwarding that bit.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Headlined? Well if he did, old Rod played after him :)

9 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

C'mon. Long set doesn't = Headliner set. Just because we consider someone to be a headliner doesn't mean they are.

But it wasn't quite as clear as that.

Roger was the 'headliner' but didn't Rod kick off, and they compromised that Rod would go on last, but Roger would get a headliner time slot?

What you mean is that he played last.

Back then (I'm not sure if it's different now) Glasto didn't use the word 'headliner' in their contracts. So I heard, it was included in the contract after some insistence from Rod's end.

Also, on the basis of rumours, efestivals had Roger Waters listed as playing last (based on what I thought would be the play order). I then got a call from a senior Glastonbury bod asking me to change it because it was causing some diva-type wor5ds to be coming from Rod's camp.

Who did Michael Eavis think was headlining that night? Pink Floyd Roger Waters.

From Neil himself!!

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

From Neil himself!!

That maybe what Michael was thinking, but there is no other reference anywhere else on the internet (not that I can find). I think it's widely accepted that Rod was the headline act that year.

As for the Pumpkins/Cohen. Again just hearsay. I don't believe they have ever been referenced as a headliner anywhere other that people speculating on these boards that they "should have been".

Edited by Justiceforcedave

3 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

As for the Pumpkins/Cohen. Again just hearsay. I don't believe they have ever been referenced as a headliner anywhere other that people speculating on these boards that they "should have been".

In the case of Cohen, any such speculation would most definitely be retrospective - in the lead up to the Festival, by far the most commonly suggested slot for him was headlining the JazzWorld - when the lineup was finally released, a lot of people (including myself) were questioning whether a man that hadn't toured for 15 years and had never had a strong reputation for live performances could even pull off a sub-headlining slot on the Pyramid. The idea of him being considered a headliner, before the Festival, would have been a joke.

Then, he played. And it was sublime.

• Upvote 1

Cohen has to be one of my finest Glasto moments.  I saw him later when he did a UK tour and was on stage for over three hours in an absolutely glorious concert.

It was a heck of a judgement call for Glasto but, boy, did they get it right.

On 05/12/2015, 14:15:15, Scruffylovemonster said:

I find if you ignore the last couple of tracks it's great. No duds on disc one that I can think of. 

Yeah what the fuck? The wall is ace. Even the trial has grown on me in recent years. I wonder what tracks this fellow considers to be duds?

It's the pink Floyd album I listen to most.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, justperfect said:

Waters playing the wall at Wembley a couple of years ago was one of the best shows I've ever had the privilege to watch.

Ever

I was at that too. Absolutely exhilarating stuff. Like you say, a real privilege to be there. I'll never forget it.

50 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Animals is my go to album now but only cos I didnt own it for years. Wish you were here would probably be my go to album all things equal. 

Aye I love them also. It irks me a bit that darkside gets all the plaudits. I rarely play it

Edited by russycarps

On 05/12/2015, 15:08:00, GlastoEls said:

But it wasn't quite as clear as that.

Roger was the 'headliner' but didn't Rod kick off, and they compromised that Rod would go on last, but Roger would get a headliner time slot?

As I was led to believe, Rod got upset at various websites (including this one) making assumptions on the line-up before it was announced, and putting Waters above Rod - and I was asked to love Rod to the top because he (more likely his management) was threatening he would pull out if he wasn't.