Pink Floyd?

Woffy

I had a quicky looky see if there were any half decent tix available but the only ones offered were right up in the gods. Been there done that in 2006, front row circle, but didn't really fancy having a stupidly expensive bird's eye view again so decided to definitely give it a miss this time. Can't believe it was really 9 years ago but On An Island complete with Rick and 2/3 of CS&N and Mr.Bowie etc and not to mention the entire glorious 20(ish) minutes of Echoes of course was such an amazingly good gig that I seriously doubt it could ever be bettered anyway ... famous last words and all that !

All sold out in next to no time this morning needless to say, even the extra dates ... but quelle surprise to find you can pick many tix up from scumbag touts various :fuckyou:

The chances of anything coming from mars 'Pink Floyd' playing Glasto are a million to one ... and all that, unless you truly believe in reincarnation and certain other miracles occurring simultaneously of course ;) The chances of DG ever playing are probably not that dissimilar either I suspect.

Edited by mikeb

I had a quicky looky see if there were any half decent tix available but the only ones offered were right up in the gods. Been there done that in 2006, front row circle, but didn't really fancy having a stupidly expensive bird's eye view again so decided to definitely give it a miss this time. Can't believe it was really 9 years ago but On An Island complete with Rick and 2/3 of CS&N and Mr.Bowie etc and not to mention the entire glorious 20(ish) minutes of Echoes of course was such an amazingly good gig that I seriously doubt it could ever be bettered anyway ... famous last words and all that !

All sold out in next to no time this morning needless to say, even the extra dates ... but quelle surprise to find you can pick many tix up from scumbag touts various :fuckyou:

The chances of anything coming from mars 'Pink Floyd' playing Glasto are a million to one ... and all that, unless you truly believe in reincarnation and certain other miracles occurring simultaneously of course ;) The chances of DG ever playing are probably not that dissimilar either I suspect.

yeh gilmour said he wanted to play small venues for this tour as the thought of playing the size of gigs when he was in pink floyd make him feel terrified now.

So the likelihood of ever doing glastonbury is pretty much zero I'd say.

The festival had its chance to get the full pink floyd band (I think roger waters would have turned up for at least part of the gig, considering it was granting a man his dying wish) in 2008.

But glastonbury chose to go for jay z instead.

Edited by russycarps

yeh gilmour said he wanted to play small venues for this tour as the thought of playing the size of gigs when he was in pink floyd make him feel terrified now.

So the likelihood of ever doing glastonbury is pretty much zero I'd say.

The festival had its chance to get the full pink floyd band (I think roger waters would have turned up for at least part of the gig, considering it was granting a man his dying wish) in 2008.

Tbf the version I am familiar with is that it was offered to the festival quite late in the day, wasn't it? I was extremely angry with the festival until about a year or so ago over their decision not to take them up on the offer but I've now, somehow, come to terms with the fact that I will never see anything resembling Pink Floyd live. As hard as that is.

Tbf the version I am familiar with is that it was offered to the festival quite late in the day, wasn't it? I was extremely angry with the festival until about a year or so ago over their decision not to take them up on the offer but I've now, somehow, come to terms with the fact that I will never see anything resembling Pink Floyd live. As hard as that is.

That's true, it was very late in the day. Much as I hated the (alleged) decision to say "thanks but no thanks" more than words can ever convey, at the time I don't think there was much choice. I can't quite remember the exact timing but certainly bookings had already made and possibly even announcements already made. It wouldn't really have been 'right' or professional to dump a major booking so close to the event just because something else came along ... no matter how good the 'something else' might would have been !

It's unclear as to whether the circumstances behind the offer were made clear at the time mind you but if they were then I still can't understand why something couldn't have been sorted in one way or another. Depending on what was on offer so to speak, cancelling or substantially changing existing bookings wouldn't necessarily have been required. If all the relevant facts were put on the table then I've not much doubt that a suitable arrangement could have been come to. The possibility of a 1-off MDC-sanctioned special event on the Thursday evening for instance. However, for nothing at all to have happened I can only assume that the real reason behind the approach perhaps wasn't known at the time.

In other news ...

... so decided to definitely give it [David Gilmour @ RAH] a miss this time ...

Ummmmmm, OK, so I admit it: I have absolutely no willpower whatsoever ! My resolve weakened and I just couldn't resist looking around for odd tickets potentially becoming available ... so several hours after they went on sale and quickly sold out, I now have a stray floor seat for the extra Saturday date (hopefully) coming through a letterbox near me :D Thank you Mr.StarGreen :drinks: although Mr.CreditCard isn't even remotely impressed just thinking about how much my couple of hours at the RAH is actually going to cost him in reality by the time travel, accommodation and everything else is taken into account :rolleyes:

Edited by mikeb
  • Upvote 1

Waters was never the problem, he's actively campaign for a reunion for years. He doesn't even have new music since the early 90's and his shows are all Pink Floyd anyway.

It's Gilmour who's the problem, always has. I have an old interview with him when he clearly says, it won't happen, he has no interest in Pink Floyd anymore. Live 8 was a one off, a closure rather than beginning. He turned down millions for a reunion and with all due respect to the power of Glastonbury, I don't think Eavis could have done anything to get PF together again.

At least Paul McCartney changed the name of the band though!

I've always had a thing for people writing their own lyrics though, and it's been argued to death on here. A lot of people couldn't care less who writes the words, but it really gets to me...

I don't think PMcC had a choice in the matter, legal reasons and all that. ;)

But fair enough if you have a thing about own lyrics, I missed that debate.

Aw. Yes, I didn't like their decline either, but look on the bright side, Dave Gilmour could have done what Paul McCartney did and made his wife a fully fledged band member! :D

We can debate forever whether they should have gone on calling themselves Pink Floyd after RW's departure...

'Pink Floyd':

Piper: Syd, Roger, Nick, Rick

Saucerful - The Wall: David, Roger, Nick, Rick until about halfway through The Wall then on wages for the live shows!

The Final Cut: David, Roger, Nick

Momentary: David, Nick, with Rick on wages

Division Bell: David, Nick, Rick

Live 8: David, Nick, Rick, with Roger as special guest

Endless River: David, Nick, Rick on tape

What Pink Floyd 'is' doesn't seem to matter!

Can't wait for David at RAH. Last saw him there 9 years ago on the On An Island tour. =)

Waters was never the problem, he's actively campaign for a reunion for years. He doesn't even have new music since the early 90's and his shows are all Pink Floyd anyway.

It's Gilmour who's the problem, always has. I have an old interview with him when he clearly says, it won't happen, he has no interest in Pink Floyd anymore. Live 8 was a one off, a closure rather than beginning. He turned down millions for a reunion and with all due respect to the power of Glastonbury, I don't think Eavis could have done anything to get PF together again.

Not sure this is entirely correct...

Roger left Pink Floyd. Dave et al managed to continue quite fine without him. Dave made quite clear to Rog at Live 8 that it was no longer his band. I pretty sure Dave doesn't want Rog to think he can come and go into the band as he pleases. Dave really doesn't need Rog from a live perspective and there's no chance they could work together in the studio. What possible incentive could Dave have for doing anything "Pink Floyd" again?

^ There isn't any reason, after Endless River.

Roger is doing his thing (Wall tours), David his (new album later this year and tour).

Obviously in some fantasy they play a 100 minute Glastonbury headline set, David, Roger and Nick (The Final Cut lineup so they've made music without Rick before), but in reality, it's not going to happen!

Is Roger working on a new album? Outside Ca Ira and the odd single ("Hello, I Love You"), Amused To Death was 23 years ago!

^ There isn't any reason, after Endless River.

Roger is doing his thing (Wall tours), David his (new album later this year and tour).

Obviously in some fantasy they play a 100 minute Glastonbury headline set, David, Roger and Nick (The Final Cut lineup so they've made music without Rick before), but in reality, it's not going to happen!

Is Roger working on a new album? Outside Ca Ira and the odd single ("Hello, I Love You"), Amused To Death was 23 years ago!

Yep, last I heard the wall tour was over for good and a new album is being made.

I pray that is the case, it will be interesting to compare it to Gilmours effort

I was wondering what was happening on that front as well. Reports various in late 2013 quoted him as saying there was one on the way. In fact he's even been quoted as having completed a 50 minute demo of it or something like that. Mind you, if whatever he actually has in mind takes anything remotely like as long as Ça Ira did from first inkling to actually having CD in the hand, I'll be long gone before it's released :lol:

Edited by mikeb

Ok so in fantasy land we get Gilmour on Pyramid and Roger on West Holts...simultaneously. Both are known to knock out Floyd back catalogue.

Who you gonna see?

That would be an absolute nightmare! Probably go for Gilmour because I have not seen him live before, it'd be hard though!

Ok so in fantasy land we get Gilmour on Pyramid and Roger on West Holts...simultaneously. Both are known to knock out Floyd back catalogue.

Who you gonna see?

Led Zep on t'Other Stage :P

But after weighing up the Pros and Cons of the nightmare clash from hell to trump all possible clashes ever ... I'm approximately 99.999999876% sure that I'd be enjoying Rog :)

• 5 months later...

He has an album to promote, and yes I agree it would maybe be wrong without Rick...but I nevertheless can't help finding his 'It's just a pop-group, I don't need it....' attitude a little arrogant, and somewhat dismissive of the legions of people across the globe that helped him achieve his god-like status. At least be thankful, a little humble even, and say 'I'm sorry'?