Other Stage Headliners 2015

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tool have been doing shows this year, however looking at some of the setlists they're 10 songs long!? Imagine paying to see a band who've been going over 20 years, who probably cost £40+ and they play 10 fucking songs.

You do realise how long Tool's songs are, right? That'd be as long a set as a typical band playing 20 songs I bet.

Have you seen The size of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's setlists?

Friendly Fires & Enter Shikari with successful albums out early next year. FF decided to do a weird remix album, new one soon I think & ES are onto their new one. Prob both still subs though.

& yes Enter Shikari could sub/headline, especially against say... Led Zep/Prince

Both are great at performing live.

Edited by Couchy

Tool don't want the screens on when they play, no doubt that means no BBC coverage too. They also want to be suitably paid. These factors probably rule them out.

I don't think the BBC thing makes a difference, massive attack weren't shown this year were they? And I'm sure I read that the festival book who they want and it's up to the BBC to negotiate with acts.

I definitely see what you are saying with the money though. I need to get this thought out my head really cause I'm certain it will never happen but I keep thinking about how great it would be.

Friendly Fires & Enter Shikari with successful albums out early next year. FF decided to do a weird remix album, new one soon I think & ES are onto their new one. Prob both still subs though.

& yes Enter Shikari could sub/headline, especially against say... Led Zep/Prince

Both are great at performing live.

neither Enter Shikari or Friendly Fires could / would play that high, successful new albums or not. i think Friendly Fires are past their peak of popularity so maybe third on Other is about as high as they'd go, and Enter Shikari probably wouldn't go higher than mid-Other

as for Tool, surely when they start touring properly again / release a new album they'll be snatched up by Download or Sonisphere as a headliner (like they were in 2006). they don't seem at all like a likely candidate for an Other headliner

neither Enter Shikari or Friendly Fires could / would play that high, successful new albums or not. i think Friendly Fires are past their peak of popularity so maybe third on Other is about as high as they'd go, and Enter Shikari probably wouldn't go higher than mid-Other

as for Tool, surely when they start touring properly again / release a new album they'll be snatched up by Download or Sonisphere as a headliner (like they were in 2006). they don't seem at all like a likely candidate for an Other headliner

To be fair I don't think anyone thinks Tool are likely; we just like to dream :P

• 4 weeks later...

Would love Frank Ocean but wouldn't Damon be more suited to West Holts?

I think he would have suited West Holts this year and would be wonderful there next year but he has gotten a fair bit of attention over the festival season so far and with a Latitude headline slot and two Royal Albert Hall shows on the horizon as well as countless other shows I'm sure he'll do between now and next summer, I'd say Other Stage would suit him better next year.

I reckon Disclosure were given west holts this year because they are an easy go to option for a big dance other stage headliner next year.

They could have easily been an other headliner this year.

It doesn't work like that*.

West Holts is booked independently of bookings for other stages, so a booking for West Holts is a booking for West Holts, rather than a booking made by the festival that then has to put them into a suitable slot on a chosen stage.

(* mostly, anyway. Sometimes an act is 'put' onto a particular stage by Michael, as was the case with Bryan Ferry on West Holts this year. I'm aware of three times that has happened in around 15 years with Jazzworld/West Holts, tho I guess there'll be a few more I don't know of).

Feels a bit soon for them, no?

Oh, was it 2011 they last played? Hadn't realised, in that case I suppose it is a bit soon, but it would still be great. Think of all the rotters that play year after year, we need something to balance them out.

Would I be getting a bit too ambitious to say The Knife could do it? I don't really know what stage they'd play, not sure how big they are.

I think he would have suited West Holts this year and would be wonderful there next year but he has gotten a fair bit of attention over the festival season so far and with a Latitude headline slot and two Royal Albert Hall shows on the horizon as well as countless other shows I'm sure he'll do between now and next summer, I'd say Other Stage would suit him better next year.

Well I think he would be too big for WH next year but he'd also have been too big for it this year. Musically it suits the stage perfectly but he's 'the guy from Blur'.

The first hour of Damon's Latitude set was enjoyable enough, if not overly exciting but the encore was off the scale.

Lonely Press Play
Everyday Robots
Tomorrow Comes Today (Gorillaz song)
Slow Country (Gorillaz song)
Kids With Guns (Gorillaz song)
Three Changes (The Good, the Bad & the Queen song)
Hostiles
Photographs (You Are Taking Now)
Kingdom of Doom (The Good, the Bad & the Queen song)
You and Me
Hollow Ponds
El Mañana (Gorillaz song)
Don't Get Lost In Heaven (Gorillaz song)
Out of Time (Blur song)
All Your Life (Blur song)
Encore:
End of a Century (Blur song)
Tender (Blur song) (with Graham Coxon)
Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz song) (with Kano)
Mr. Tembo (with The Leytonstone City Mission Choir)
Heavy Seas of Love
Edited by Gnomicide

The Libertines

Faithless

the lure of some good money in summer 2015 will prove too much

No idea on the third - would love it to be The Maccabees but not sure if they are big enough for that.

Surely Frank Ocean is more West Holts, and not quite big enough for Other? They booked The Weekend to headling West Holts two years ago, I guess he's on a par size and style wise.

Nah, Ocean's a bigger name than The Weeknd and with a new album will surely be Other headliner sized.

The Prodigy must be due a return soon

Seems like they just wanna headline festivals now.