Acid_Haze

And, moreover, are they really a band bigger than most headliners GF has ever had. REALLY?

A very brief discussion with Dr Google, looking anti-chronologically for reference has created the following little list, just from the last few years. The Stone Roses...bigger than:

U2

Bruce Springsteen

Muse

The Rolling Stones

Metallica

The Who

Paul McCartney

Oasis

R.E.M.

Coldplay

Radiohead

Blur

I could go on.

I'm not denying the place the Roses hold in the hearts of many British music fans. I'm not saying they wouldn't be an enormously popular announcement for GF2015. But let's keep things in perspective...?

Ben

On the other hand:

Arcade Fire

Kasabian

Mumford and Sons

Gorillaz

The Verve

Basement Jaxx

The White Stripes

Moby

Stereophonics

and at the time they first headlined I'd throw in

Muse

Arctic Monkeys

The Killers

Kings of Leon

as well.

So that's 13 I'd say the Stone Roses are bigger than, against your 12 (who I would agree are bigger). I wasn't really sure how to judge Stevie Wonder or Rod Stewart.

So if they're bigger than 13 and smaller than 12 they are bigger than most Glastonbury recent headliners. You've only got to go back another couple of festivals before you hit Skunk Anansie headlining, too.

EDIT: Just noticed that would mean having Muse in both lists, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Ho hum.

Edited by theevilfridge

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

I think you're taking Will's comment too far and not giving the Roses' back catalogue its proper due up there, Ben. The phenomenal quick sellout of the Heaton Park gigs is not something you can write-off as NME hype, they clearly have a huge fanbase, that's an achievement that a lot of headline bands couldn't muster. I don't think Will was saying they're on the level of The Rolling Stones and U2, but they're obviously far too much of a big deal to be on the Other Stage. I wouldn't call Second Coming "universally panned", either, it's a great quality record.

No, I think that's whey dental edited...he realised the confusion with my interpretation...blah blah blah! How confusing.

Anyway - bottom line...Roses, biggish band, nowt more.

Ben

Yeah that's how it went. I skim read and ended up looking daft. :P

But they are pretty massive. I think they're bigger to your average British festivalgoer than Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, The Who and R.E.M - maybe even Muse and/or Radiohead nowadays. It gets easy to forget they did sell like nearly half a million tickets a couple of years ago and I don't think the demand has cooled off since. Either way we should all be able to agree they're too big to do anything other than headline Pyramid.

Who forced you to buy the ticket?? Tell me?! I'll knock them clean out!!

They haven't conned anyone into buying a ticket, you have your own free will, and none of the Glastonbury crew have ever said otherwise. Technically if that is the rule, they should have to tell you in October.

My mate Rib forced me to buy a ticket. He is a bit of a whopper so if you knock him clean out then I will buy you a beer. Although buying drinks for feisty and aggressive women is probably not a wise move :-)

Who's the geezer that loves depeche mode? On a flight and they have a whole live set from Berlin. I really can't get into them myself. (Apart from just can't get enough, obviously)

That would be me. I think you should listen to the albums before judging them really. Although I enjoy them live, the live drums seem to lose a bit of the recorded outputs edge and momentum. Plus when you have a 30 year career and a new album, which tunes do you play. If you want to watch them live, watch the devotional tour or their gig at Crystal Palace.

Lad met Reni from the roses, pics to prove. Asked about glasto, he replied. "that's the million dollar question" Apprently

Link to post with pics and comments below.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11134363_10153171480053774_84648815_n.jpg?oh=56d5afd82e83d66ab457136bc2ced5e5&oe=5523728F&__gda__=1428434300_fef90144b3fd9cccb14394ce788b0fec

LOL funny how this lads pics have gone round loads of forums with different things apparently said. Good to see the lad quote what was actually said and I am pinning all my hopes firmly on the Roses.

Lad met Reni from the roses, pics to prove. Asked about glasto, he replied. "that's the million dollar question" Apprently

Link to post with pics and comments below.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11134363_10153171480053774_84648815_n.jpg?oh=56d5afd82e83d66ab457136bc2ced5e5&oe=5523728F&__gda__=1428434300_fef90144b3fd9cccb14394ce788b0fec

I'll be slightly disappointed if it is the Stone Roses! Love Indie music, love their stuff, used to Live in Manchester, and have never been as disappointed by a band as when I saw them at V a few years ago!! I know it's V Festival, but I expected a legendary set from THE Legendary Indie band pretty much of all time! I've seen Ian Brown before, and even met the bloke, and bloody loved him, so I'm not going down the typical road of slagging him off, but they really just didn't do it for me and my mates, all massive fans expecting a magical gig!

Hopefully if it is them, then they will prove me wrong - and maybe it just didn't click that night, but it was just too quiet a set (most of the kids round us just didn't know much about them, but you could hear them all chatting the whole time rather than the Roses), John Squire was off doing his own twiddling bits in between every song that just became a bit tedious, and somehow the set became quite boring at times in the middle. The great stuff was brilliant, but there was just something that felt a bit of a let down to us all. Especially after the Killers had unexpectedly absolutely smashed it the night before!!

I was at V fest that year and did not watch the Roses as I knew they would fall flat on their arses just through the demographic of the crowd. I am a massive Roses fan but after seeing them at Heaton Park, I knew V fest was not the place for them. I think they would be fantastic at Glasto though.

In regards to the Killers, I quite like them on records. But I have seen them twice at V now and they bored me senseless. The year you are on about when the Roses played, previous to them coming on I saw The Human League, Pixxie Lott and then The Happy Mondays one after each other. Watching the killers directly after the Mondays smashed it in the tent was a massive anti climax as they could never live with that.

I think you're taking Will's comment too far and not giving the Roses' back catalogue its proper due up there, Ben. The phenomenal quick sellout of the Heaton Park gigs is not something you can write-off as NME hype, they clearly have a huge fanbase, that's an achievement that a lot of headline bands couldn't muster. I don't think Will was saying they're on the level of The Rolling Stones and U2, but they're obviously far too much of a big deal to be on the Other Stage. I wouldn't call Second Coming "universally panned", either, it's a great quality record.

I think people are too quick to dismiss the Second Coming on the back of the reviews it received. People pan it now without taking into the consideration the context at the time and why it seemed to get such bad reviews.

The media was very quick to stick a knife into all things Madchester after the way the scene supposedly imploded. The Mondays had blew up in a haze of bad drugs, homophobic comments and poor decisions, Factory went bump, the Hacienda was clogged down in extreme violence and gangland behaviour. The media at the time loved sticking the knife in. The Roses did not help themselves. Fights with record label, 5 years to release the Second Coming and internal arguments within the band. Plus the media has their new Mancunian darlings in Oasis, who managed to steal the thunder of their idols by producing a classic equally as good as the Roses debut.

The Roses were on a hiding to nothing. If they had produced an album full of Ten Story Love Songs, they would have been panned for not progressing. Instead they produced a Led Zep influenced rocker. The problem was that Oasis had produced something better and were better copy.

The Second Coming has a whole host of fantastic tunes. No it is nowhere near as good as the debut, but then again not many albums are. But it is far better than most of the derogatory reviews it received.

It is funny how things happen in cycles. Yes Please by the Mondays was derided and that is not a bad album. A few years later the media were right behind the rise of Black Grape. Same with the Roses. the shit they got after Squire quit and they played Reading was very harsh. Yet a few years later the media were giving great reviews to Ian Browns debut solo album and The Seahorses album. Yet neither of these albums are anywhere near as good as The Second Coming.

Edited by eastynh

I can't believe how many people lay into The Second Coming, I think it's great. Squire's guitar on it is something else

I thought Love Spreads was a great single and it got my hopes up for the album. When album came out I found it disappointing at the time.

A few years ago I put the CD back on and was surprised that the album was much better than I had remembered.

I agree, if you haven't played it for a while it's worth giving another listen.

Edited by Boopickledaddy

'I'm Mr Eavis, I'm here to pick up my printed lineup poster'

'Thats fantastic Mr. Eavis, I just need your first name'

'I don't know'

glastonbury inspired Simpson quotes anyone?

"Glastonbury's not about freaks. It's about music, and corporate sponsorship, and youth orientated product placement."

"That, and getting toasted. Nicely toasted."

Fair enough, Lawn.

In terms of the Heaton Park sellout, I think it's down to a number of factors:

1. They are, genuinely, very popular and held in enormous affection, mostly in the UK.

2. The hype that spiralled upwards, exponentially, regarding their potential return, ever since they split. With Squire's stance, almost stopping playing for his artistic pursuits, and his gentle, but unequivocal position that the Roses were consigned to history, there developed, with every passing year, an ever-increasing fervour and clamour for their reunion, the likes of which, in my lifetime and geography, I can only compare to The Smiths. And yet, The Smiths had 2-3 times the canon that the Roses ever did. They also, arguably, made it, at a time when they were the antithesis to the scene, rather than at the vanguard of it. I'm not, btw, trying to turn this into a the Smiths are better than the Roses, squabble. It's just that, to me, the Roses garnered that sort of legendary status, without necessarily 'earning' it, if you know what I mean.

3. The gigs were (sensibly) in Manchester (see comment about Finsbury Park as a comparison).

And I'm making no personal appraisal of Second Coming in observing that it was butchered by the lion's share of writers and commentators at the time...

...I still love the scene in Shaun of the Dead when Nick Frost looks questioningly at Simon Pegg when finding a copy in the box of LPs to be used as potential weapons in the garden, only for Pegg to argue, somewhat defensively 'I like it!'. A brilliant line, when you think of the cultural knowledge needed fully to enjoy it!

Ben

Fair enough, Lawn.

In terms of the Heaton Park sellout, I think it's down to a number of factors:

1. They are, genuinely, very popular and held in enormous affection, mostly in the UK.

2. The hype that spiralled upwards, exponentially, regarding their potential return, ever since they split. With Squire's stance, almost stopping playing for his artistic pursuits, and his gentle, but unequivocal position that the Roses were consigned to history, there developed, with every passing year, an ever-increasing fervour and clamour for their reunion, the likes of which, in my lifetime and geography, I can only compare to The Smiths. And yet, The Smiths had 2-3 times the canon that the Roses ever did. They also, arguably, made it, at a time when they were the antithesis to the scene, rather than at the vanguard of it. I'm not, btw, trying to turn this into a the Smiths are better than the Roses, squabble. It's just that, to me, the Roses garnered that sort of legendary status, without necessarily 'earning' it, if you know what I mean.

3. The gigs were (sensibly) in Manchester (see comment about Finsbury Park as a comparison).

And I'm making no personal appraisal of Second Coming in observing that it was butchered by the lion's share of writers and commentators at the time...

...I still love the scene in Shaun of the Dead when Nick Frost looks questioningly at Simon Pegg when finding a copy in the box of LPs to be used as potential weapons in the garden, only for Pegg to argue, somewhat defensively 'I like it!'. A brilliant line, when you think of the cultural knowledge needed fully to enjoy it!

Ben

You talk a lot of sense Ben.

It would be pointless arguing the merits of The Smiths compared to the Roses. there is far more fun to be had by going on a smiths forum and telling them that The Smiths were shit compared to Joy Division/New Order. That causes fireworks. For the record I am in the JD/NO camp for that discussion.

the stone roses will never headline pyramid stage,

because glastonbury is in the meanwhile such a international

festival with vistors from all over the world.

but the stone roses are only a big number in brittain.

sadly, no one cares about them outside england.

Edited by tullux

Kasabian are hardly a big name outside of the UK

I don't understand that. They were booked to headline 20 years ago and are far bigger now. Kasabian headlined last year and are only relatively big in Britain. The Roses are far bigger.

They headlined coachella in 2013

Up there with the best I've read on here

If you was to analyse every band who have headlined and start going through their 'international appeal' I'm pretty sure we'd be questioning plenty who have headlined in the past