The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 4/11/2022 at 10:12 PM, Beaver89 said:

The earplug for sleeping chat above has made me think of this. If anyone wants earplugs for watching bands and protecting hearing. I just swapped out some old uncomfortable, questionable earplugs for such things with these from Loop. They come with 3 sizes of rubber and 3 sizes of foam earpieces to get the right fit.

The real benefit is that (according to their website at least) the loop is designed to pick up the sound and funnel it to your ears like an earphone but at a -18db level. You can also add a further -5db with the mute which fits in the middle. Have used a couple of times and will be taking with me for any particularly load or sharp sounding shows.

I struggled for so long with my old ones not fitting properly, hurting or gumming with wax that I thought I'd share in case anyone has been similarly struggling to find decent ones without forming out for customs. They have two tiers below this with fewer features - this is the full whack version.

(Not a deal but a recommendation nonetheless)

I use these for listening to loud gigs

https://www.snorestore.co.uk/acatalog/pluggerz-standard-music-earplugs.html

They are good at reducing the volume but still allow you to hear the music as such.

13 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

I've been looking for an Vango Icarus tent for a while and it is finally in the sale with Go Outdoors.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15980551/vango-icarus-500-deluxe-family-tent-15980551

It's been reduced to £229 and you can get another 15% off if you use code 15APR22 

I also got 7% cashback from my bank account so ended up £185 including £5 for membership card! 

I just thought i would post in case anyone else was looking for a similar tent, or wanted to take advantage of the 15% off.

This is an amazing deal. Had also been waiting for it to come down for the last year.

we decided it was possibly too big for both of us for Glasto and didn’t want to risk it getting trashed. Plus the weight of it…

We caved and got a Vango Carron instead (2022 version)

7 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Those big IKEA or Sportsdirect bags with one vital hand-saving modification: tape the handles together then wrap them with padding- bubble wrap or foam - and and add another layer of tape to hold it in place.

We always take the sports direct bags, might have to try this cheers

8 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Those big IKEA or Sportsdirect bags with one vital hand-saving modification: tape the handles together then wrap them with padding- bubble wrap or foam - and and add another layer of tape to hold it in place.

Don’t forget to pack the duct tape so you can tape it up again for the trip home.  

14 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

I've been looking for an Vango Icarus tent for a while and it is finally in the sale with Go Outdoors.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15980551/vango-icarus-500-deluxe-family-tent-15980551

It's been reduced to £229 and you can get another 15% off if you use code 15APR22 

I also got 7% cashback from my bank account so ended up £185 including £5 for membership card! 

I just thought i would post in case anyone else was looking for a similar tent, or wanted to take advantage of the 15% off.

This is a great tent, use it for camping all the time, 3 poles and it’s up 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

This is an amazing deal. Had also been waiting for it to come down for the last year.

we decided it was possibly too big for both of us for Glasto and didn’t want to risk it getting trashed. Plus the weight of it…

I'm in need of a new tent, is this the one you have? How heavy is it and easy to put up?

Thanks

Vango Carron 400 Tent 2022

VANGO CARRON 400 TENT 2022

1 hour ago, Perks said:

I'm in need of a new tent, is this the one you have? How heavy is it and easy to put up?

Thanks

Get a fresh and black, you won’t regret it!

13 minutes ago, Perks said:

mmmm - does it have a porch? not really looked at them pop up ones (is it a pop up?)

Those questions don't really apply - some do, some don't, some are, some aren't.

There's no singular F&B tent, it's a decently varied range.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Those questions don't really apply - some do, some don't, some are, some aren't.

There's no singular F&B tent, it's a decently varied range.

Cheers, id no idea on them, will add them to my list to look at

4 minutes ago, Divein said:

They do normal tents with porch's as wel, but Im unsure of what person they go up to. Mines 3 berth.

sound, thanks, 3 berth is what i'm after

2 hours ago, Perks said:

Thanks

Yes that’s the one. Full stand up for me and the Mrs (we are short arses!).

Not sure how easy it is as haven’t put it up yet. Might do that this weekend time allowing.

It’s not crazy heavy- 9.2kg. Comfortable compared to the Icarus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Always take duct tape in case of some kind of tent malfunction 🙂

100% agree with this along with 'S Hooks' which are perfect for hanging your bag in the toilets.

https://www.toolstation.com/s-hook/p33814?store=NA&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dc&pcrid=558040251567&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjw6dmSBhBkEiwA_W-EoBu9GDRv9xTk9lYu2qfCyBVCTtfNVgJ7WkbRXF_q_t688vYWUKUpcRoCDPwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Yes that’s the one. Full stand up for me and the Mrs (we are short arses!).

Not sure how easy it is as haven’t put it up yet. Might do that this weekend time allowing.

It’s not crazy heavy- 9.2kg. Comfortable compared to the Icarus

thanks, am tempted, gonna check out some fresh and black now too, then make a decision the weekend

9 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

Brilliant, thanks for posting that I have got then on my list but hadn't searched for them yet

5 hours ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

I have the Carron too which i used for camping at Leeds at the side of my friends Camper Van. Lovely smaller tent. 

You are correct about the weight, I've got this one as my daughter is getting the coach and is carrying just this for me, while i drive and carry everything else on my trolley! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gfa said:

We always take the sports direct bags, might have to try this cheers

We still take the p*** out of our friend who arrived at 1am in the ratting down rain with too much stuff in too many Ikea bags. 

He turned up at the wrong gate. His stuff was all soaked and our hands were all tore apart. Get a good rucksack!

1 hour ago, lazzareo said:

Can't you hang your bag using the hook on the door of the longdrops?

2 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

We still take the p*** out of our friend who arrived at 1am in the ratting down rain with too much stuff in too many Ikea bags. 

He turned up at the wrong gate. His stuff was all soaked and our hands were all tore apart. Get a good rucksack!

This is in addition to the good rucksack! I’m basically the pack horse.