The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

2 hours ago, hurdy said:

Generally rubbish. Limited to no use in overcast conditions and still take hours to charge if you get direct sunlight, assuming you're not moving around much. 

You'd be much better off with a high capacity powerbank. 

2 hours ago, sam1981 said:

Bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phone-Solar-Chargers/24000mAh-OLEBR-portable-capacity-Devices-RED-Red-Black/B071GKH2Y4

Wasn't the cheapest one, but thought it'd be good. Battery is fine, solar charging simply doesn't work.

2 hours ago, lazzareo said:

Yes, don't get one ?

OK, then! That saved me money and regret, thank you! ?

On 4/10/2019 at 8:45 PM, crazyfool1 said:

yep that looks good ... might need topping up but they work well ... it was only heavy as I took it loaded with ice cold water ... empty its fine :) 

On 4/10/2019 at 9:48 PM, dotdash79 said:

Plan is to use a solar shower to warm the water up then fill this up a couple of times.

Sorry to bring up an old topic....but I've been wondering about these solar showers. I think I'd much prefer it to feel nice and clean (and obvs more eco-friendly), but I'm worried that showering next to a load of tents will make the ground wet for everyone else. Any one have any thoughts on this?

26 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Sorry to bring up an old topic....but I've been wondering about these solar showers. I think I'd much prefer it to feel nice and clean (and obvs more eco-friendly), but I'm worried that showering next to a load of tents will make the ground wet for everyone else. Any one have any thoughts on this?

Yes it will, so depends where you are, what the terrain is like and how much water you use. 

I've seen plenty doing it in the campervan field, but of course the vans are next to them so it just soaks away without concern.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

im more likely to be using mine in a dry year when Its more needed ... at these times the water just evaporates and it hardly makes a difference in my opinion .. id obviously do it whilst respecting other peoples space and use it  not just outside someones entrance ...

Random question...bought an airbed from Lidl for 2017 and it's pretty great quality. Lent it to my boyfriend for another festival and he's lost the plug ? I bought a replacement one from ebay (somehow actually bought two) and it's just that bit too small to fit. Has anyone ever bought a replacement plug that actually works?

I do realise that by the time I've tried and tested several replacement plugs I could have just bought a new airbed but I just can't seem to let this go!

6 minutes ago, 4519dennis said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0761NKB74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my recent acquisition - ridiculously expensive but looks good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SHjUCbH65WH0H 

This is the power bank I’ve been using the last few years, it lasts the whole weekend and is less than half the price of the one you’ve found :)

1 minute ago, Cian T said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SHjUCbH65WH0H 

This is the power bank I’ve been using the last few years, it lasts the whole weekend and is less than half the price of the one you’ve found :)

Got one of those! Agree it does the job just as well but getting a new power bank every year is part of my Glasto preparation ritual.

5 minutes ago, 4519dennis said:

Got one of those! Agree it does the job just as well but getting a new power bank every year is part of my Glasto preparation ritual.

mine too .... in fact I probably buy at least 2 to power my fancy dress.... i keep hoping for some massively powerful ones that are very light with improvements in battery technology ... but nothing seems to appear 

On 4/18/2019 at 11:24 AM, jfaragher said:

So I've just bought these -https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FPNHH9N/ and would encourage other smokers to do the same.

I know they're plastic and plastic = bad, but IMO they're essential if you want to "leave no trace". 

A friend put me onto these a while ago - super handy! Just ordered myself a new batch for the glasto pile ?

On 4/18/2019 at 4:03 PM, AmazingAbby said:

Random question...bought an airbed from Lidl for 2017 and it's pretty great quality. Lent it to my boyfriend for another festival and he's lost the plug ?

"lost the plug" did he indeed? ?

......i'd advise you probe him further for the location of the plug, it may be much closer to home than you think & all your boyfriend is guilty of is possibly trying new experiences at the other festival & maybe widening the circles of his friends! ?

• Upvote 1

Can anyone recommend any comfortable women's lightweight trainers / walking shoes for the festival? I have wellies and boots, but the boots are too heavy for 5 days and it's not going to rain anyway (though I will be taking wellies to appease the weather gods). I usually just wear Converse if it's dry but 2017 was the last year I'm doing that - I'm getting too old and my feet can't cope anymore. Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

Can anyone recommend any comfortable women's lightweight trainers / walking shoes for the festival? I have wellies and boots, but the boots are too heavy for 5 days and it's not going to rain anyway (though I will be taking wellies to appease the weather gods). I usually just wear Converse if it's dry but 2017 was the last year I'm doing that - I'm getting too old and my feet can't cope anymore. Thanks in advance!

Honestly when it comes to your feet the best thing is to go into shops and try them on. I bought a pair of boots on recommendation from somebody on here once and they crippled me. My husband got them too and they were fine for him. He used them for 2 Glastonbury's and multiple hill walks. Everytime I wore them I had blisters before I left the car park. 

20 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Got this:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek500-si-mattress-xl-blue-id_8352448.html

Bit more expensive than I'd hoped but it is comfy.

Thanks mate. Looking for something a bit thicker, I end up on my side sometimes and my boney hips get uncomfortable. Think I will just get a cheap airbed and hope its okay.