Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

lineup for next week is Mary J Blige, Marianne Faithfull, Band Of Skulls, Hozier and First Aid Kit

don't know if she's been on since but Mary J Blige absolutely smashed it when she was on Jools Holland

up there with the best performances on the show i've seen, so will be good to have her back. First Aid Kit should be decent as well. always put on a good live show

I was saying to the wife the other day Mary J Blige would make a great West Holts headliner, as would Lauren Hill.

Band of Skulls are superb - I recommend watching them live.

you would have struggled to miss them this year - they did a lot of festivals. All that experience clearly makes a difference to their live shows. I'll be interested to see how First Aid Kit perform in comparison with their restricted festival appearances this summer after a stunningly good album release.

I was saying to the wife the other day Mary J Blige would make a great West Holts headliner, as would Lauren Hill.

To such an extent that it almost seems too good to be true. Although if the alternating WH/Park theory (can't remember whose theory that is, sorry) proves correct, we're due a Mary J Blige or David Byrne headlining WH next year.

I've only ever heard about Alt J on forums and how amazing they are??? Really?

Was soooo disappointed in Jungle after hearing the feedbck about their gigs but if they are at Glasto (and providing I get a ticket) I'll check em out - clash allowing.

Alt J are well know for being a bit shit and dull. Their popularity confuses the hell out of me, more than most acts.

Not seen the show, but in their defence Jungle were awesome at Glastonbury this year but its not really the sort of thing that would ever come across well on Jools I don't tink.

Didn't think much of it came across well last night to be honest. I like FKA twigs but even she wasn't that great. Alt-J were dull beyond belief. Their new album is one of the most tedious things I've ever listened to, which is a shame because I thought there were a few decent songs on the first one.

you would have struggled to miss them this year - they did a lot of festivals. All that experience clearly makes a difference to their live shows. I'll be interested to see how First Aid Kit perform in comparison with their restricted festival appearances this summer after a stunningly good album release.

Yep, i've managed to see them twice this year, they really were everywhere. Much like First Aid Kit who are soooooo dull live they make Elbow seem exciting! :D

Saw them last night in Glasgow and they were incredible

Yep, i've managed to see them twice this year, they really were everywhere. Much like First Aid Kit who are soooooo dull live they make Elbow seem exciting! :D

really? granted i've only seen them once and it was at Bestival at 12pm whilst i nursed a terrible terrible comedown, but i thought they were marvellous. shining sun, great songs, lots of energy. exactly what i needed

MJB......naaaaaa

FIRST AID KIT.....yaaaaaa

MISS FAITHFULL.......great for a 68 year old

BAND OF SKULLS .......not bad

HOZIER.......ummmmm sounds religious to me amen and all that

IDRIS ELBA..........maybe would rather have heard more of this than MJB

till next week

MJB......naaaaaa

FIRST AID KIT.....yaaaaaa

MISS FAITHFULL.......great for a 68 year old

BAND OF SKULLS .......not bad

HOZIER.......ummmmm sounds religious to me amen and all that

IDRIS ELBA..........maybe would rather have heard more of this than MJB

till next week

I wouldn't get too hung up on the Amen of Hoziers song, He's Irish with issues with catholicism like most of us.

An extract from an interview when quizzed about the meaning "The song serves simultaneously as a message about human rights, a commentary about Hozier's upbringing in what he calls a "cultural landscape that is blatantly homophobic," and a strong statement about the institutional homophobia in Putin's Russia."

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen this weeks episode as I normally catch up on the Friday show at the weekend and skip the crap bits, which I did a lot of when viewing the first of the series! I loved Jungle, sadly missed them at Glasto this year because of Blondie commitments. Basically everything else was pretty meh. Judging from comments made about this week I shall be doing a lot of fast forwarding this week!

• 3 weeks later...

This woman seemed to only get the one track on Jools last night but I found her incredible, she takes the chic cool of Peggy Lee's sixties sound (Is that all there is, Fever) and Nina Simone and brings it to another level entirely, her strength being that she sings in the lower register but it just seems so natural, will definitely check her out if she tours Ireland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scq-WkeMlG0

Bet you don't mind when Arcade Fire sing in French. ;)

I was very impressed by Benjamin Booker and Robert Randolph's Family Band. Manics were good too, I thought. I like the new stuff though.

Nobody posted about Future Islands' crazy dancing last week. Has the fad died down?

Edited by dentalplan

Still trying to erase that memory! Brain bleach needed for the utter cringefest of that! I was nearly hiding behind the sofa.

Lol, loved it. Very very funny, i'd go to see them just for the craic ( sorry if i spelt that wrong, i know your Irish :) ) , i quite enjoyed the music though, and i'm a fan of dad dancing, i do enough of it!

I like the Manics politics, idealism (bit w*nky, but their '90's Clash-ish aesthetic) and interviews far more than I like their music. And I like their music.

Nicky Wire never fails to make me look at things in a slightly different way that I would have otherwise. And i thank him for that. Whether I agree with him or not.