Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

I ended up watching last nights because of all the discussion on here. I was expecting a complete car crash and it wasn't that bad. Certainly not their best work but they were alright.

My exact though. People are over reacting on this thread. Edited by keeno

Songs they played/album they're touring is poor. Very rare that a Glasto headliner's current/latest record is their best.

That's an excellent point and got me thinking. Examples? I'm really struggling. last year's AM? (although I prefer the first one)

Radiohead 1997 OK Computer? Only one i can think of off the top of my head

Radiohead 1997 OK Computer? Only one i can think of off the top of my head

All three headliners in 97 fit the bill really (Prodigy, Radiohead & Ash), even though Ash only headlined the Sunday because Steve Winwood had a sick note from his mum.

• 3 months later...

In my opinion Alt-J are a sickeningly boring band in a dull and rather uninspiring scene of music that is surprisingly popular. This is heavily justified by the mundane live performances, many of which i have stood through at Glasto thinking just if this was a grunge or heavy rock band! Give me some umpf. Instead I get boring tediously long sets that bore me to death with uncreativity.

In my opinion Alt-J are a sickeningly boring band in a dull and rather uninspiring scene of music that is surprisingly popular. This is heavily justified by the mundane live performances, many of which i have stood through at Glasto thinking just if this was a grunge or heavy rock band! Give me some umpf. Instead I get boring tediously long sets that bore me to death with uncreativity.

Er... what?

tonight

Alt J ...........................ist song ...shit 2nd shit

ryan adams...............ummmmmm NO rubbish

jungle.........................not sure ......nice on a sunny day

fka twigs ...................not my cuppa tea ..strange instruments but naaaaaaa

ojays........................good OLD sons

vance joy.................band-stage

old jools HAS to get on that bloody piano doesnt he ...cant stand him lol i reckon hes gonna bring out a WHO IVE PLAYED WITH book for xmas lol strange man

Edited by guypjfreak

lineup for next week is Mary J Blige, Marianne Faithfull, Band Of Skulls, Hozier and First Aid Kit

don't know if she's been on since but Mary J Blige absolutely smashed it when she was on Jools Holland

up there with the best performances on the show i've seen, so will be good to have her back. First Aid Kit should be decent as well. always put on a good live show

Not really I actually love many other genres (folk, dub, reggae, good indie rock, Baroque pop (Arcade Fire), pop-puck etc etc) but that kind of stuff I just don't get.

yeah in fairness i totally agree with you. Alt-J and other similar bands are fucking awful, and no doubt a whole new flock of them will be clogging up the upper reaches of the Other Stage and John Peel come the next festival (with Alt-J themselves being placed ridiculously high). total NME bait

Good thread, this.

The O’Jays were pretty good. As said, Jungle, might be alright on a sunny day, but not particularly interesting. FKA Twigs was pleasant also but not as exciting as I was expecting. Didn’t like Alt-J or Ryan Adams.

Edit: I saw a description earlier about bands who “don’t really seem to have much to say, but quite fancied playing ATP”. That’s pretty much how I feel about Alt-J. I wouldn’t go as far as to say they’re awful, just don’t really see the point.

Edited by bocumaroy

I'm afraid to post in this thread but hey ho, will give it another go. I watched with high hopes and also low ones cos they were all acts I've missed this summer. Its cemented the fact that I made the right decisions.

I've only ever heard about Alt J on forums and how amazing they are??? Really?

Was soooo disappointed in Jungle after hearing the feedbck about their gigs but if they are at Glasto (and providing I get a ticket) I'll check em out - clash allowing.

So why hang around? It's not like somebody is forcing you to stay. What a strange statement.