Plan to avoid traffic chaos if it is a wet one

Sawdusty surfer

ME has said he'll use The Bath and West for parking if it wet, obviously with a huge fleet of shuttle buses.

I'm sure someone on here suggested this... Is he stalking eFests? :)

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/michael-eavis-explains-why-rain-won-t-affect-traffic-at-this-year-s-glastonbury/story-30082531-detail/story.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought somewhere I saw that a lack of buses available was a problem ?!! so to transport 100,000 plus people from the bath and west to the bus park at gate A would be a complete nightmare !! as I'm sure this gate is busy enough already with the planned coach arrivals !! we have been dropped on the road one previous year because of this so don't think logistically this could happen !!

Our coach was sent there (mistakenly?) along with a bunch of other coaches in 2015. It was utter chaos and the lack of organisation on hand was disturbing. We got there at 7am on the weds morning and had to queue in scorching heat until about 13:00pm. Loads of people started losing their shit (lack of water plus sobering up from the journey down then minimal movement in the queue) and I remember thinking at one point that, that was me done with any Glasto's for the future.

If people do have to go there next year then I hope the festival has their shit together this time, fucking nightmare though. I still get stressed even thinking about it!.

Queue outside gate A for the shuttle bus to B&W on Sunday night was shit, it hardly moved for over an hour and some people were getting well mardy.  

Almost descended into a full blown ruckus when some bloke jumped the line. There was one security guy there trying to keep things calm whilst about 400 tired and grumpy folk were chanting at this guy to get to the back. Handbags were drawn at one point.

Grudging respect to the prick though, he stood his ground and ignored absolutely everyone else. Security should of put him to the back though, they let the side down. 

Edited by Junglist1981
Derp

Word on the street was that a lot of congestion was caused by lack of 'metal road' in the entrance fields as it was still stuck in the mud at Download (I think) I know the entrance to the caravan fields was one lane only to the 'customs check' bit where it is usually five or six wide, so they could only check one caravan at a time rather than five.

I know it's easy to say now as I sit in my relatively warm and definitely dry office, but being prepared for a queue in all weathers is essential! 

You need a small bag with water, snacks, sweets, and a bottle of spirits/cocktail. Also, suncream and a waterproof! You never know what's going to happen so make sure you have everything you may need to hand. There's no point in getting cross in a queue, we're all in it together so just be jolly and have a drink (unless you're driving, in which case stick to the sweets- and I mean rhubarb and custard, not naughty "sweets"!), chat to people around you, and just be patient! You'll get in eventually! :) 

These stressful queuing stories remind me of a dream I had that was quite the opposite, the queue was actually set up like an old fashioned holiday camp where people were doing organised activities to help them get prepared for being in the festival, it was so much fun, everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves, so unlike the real thing. 
Charm x

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

What is this queue of which people talk?  I normally get the coach, so I don't think I've ever seen a queue.

That's a total lie of course, when I didn't go by coach, I usually waited in a big old queue, and I queued from the coach back in the 90s, but normally when I come by coach, I stroll right in.

I normally leave at 7AM on the wednesday, so that I can beat the rush hour in Shepton, and get in the East caravan queue by 8:30ish and parked up by 9:30ish

Last year, left at 7AM, parked up at 6:30PM. I live 26 miles from the site :D

Edited by paulshane

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What is this queue of which people talk?  I normally get the coach, so I don't think I've ever seen a queue.

This, taken in 2015, was actually not too bad as the weather was lovely, it was the zig zag fencing that broke me. 
Charm x

xgeijp.jpg 

27ys2c.jpg

Edited by Charm

WE always leave everything in our cars whilst queuing, just have our tickets and maybe a small rucksack with some beers in, once we've got our wristbands we go back to the car load up and walk straight in, its much easier and far less stressful then queuing with all our gear, and you can nip inbetween others who are having to lift wheelbarrows and the kitchen sink etc making the queuing time shorter

25 minutes ago, Charm said:

This, taken in 2015, was actually not too bad as the weather was lovely, it was the zig zag fencing that broke me. 
Charm x

Spot on. I don't think i've ever been as depressed as I was when queuing to get a coach back to B&W in 2015. Turned a corner thinking I was 5 minutes away to see another hour or so of Zigzag fencing. :sorry:

Edited by DareToDibble

34 minutes ago, Fladog said:

WE always leave everything in our cars whilst queuing, just have our tickets and maybe a small rucksack with some beers in, once we've got our wristbands we go back to the car load up and walk straight in, its much easier and far less stressful then queuing with all our gear, and you can nip inbetween others who are having to lift wheelbarrows and the kitchen sink etc making the queuing time shorter

Isn't that called queue jumping?

15 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There was hardly any rain during the festival in 2016!

Either that's a joke, or you are referring to those periods of the festival when you were snuggled up in your sleeping bag, S2H!

There was quite enough rain during the festival, thank you very much! Saturday morning at 7am it frickin' caned it down for more than an hour, and all of Sunday arvo/evening was drizzletastic too. And that wasn't all of it by a long chalk!

:)

Ben