2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

That Vinny Stapes track is top. Jehnny Beth one is Shitsville. Other ones somewhere in between and forgettable.

Crazy how big Gorillaz have gotten. Seemingly amongst kids about as old as Clint Eastwood (the song) but yeah, Blur must be becoming the lesser known Albarn outfit.

3 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah, maybe I just don't remember it that well but everyone seems way more hyped for this than Plastic Beach

I'd say the main reason they've gotten bigger/ more hyped is because it's been 7 years since Plastic Beach (I know there was also The Fall but no one cared about that album tbh).

Plus Gorillaz are bigger worldwide compared to Blur. I'd say Blur are still the bigger name in the UK.

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

The new Soulwax one is worth a listen. Doesn't quite have the bangers of Nite Versions but I think it'd sound decent live. 

It'd somehow completely passed me by that they had a new one out. I'm on that now.

Somebody want to do the legwork for me and find out if Reakwon's new record is worth a listen?

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

Very pleasantly surprised with Craig Finn's album. Lyrics are about as good as the ones he wrote for the best Hold Steady albums and the instrumentation gives them a new lease of life.

Enjoying Moonlandingz record tho there's some filler on it. JAMC is much better than I expected. Really wanted to like Formation's debut cos they seem like cool dudes but it's all pretty disposable 2010 NME TV trash really. O well.

Looking forward to jumping into the Raekwon album and the Mount Eerie new one - loads of the best albums recently have been hella morbid and that ones meant to be pretty good too.

I rarely post to the forums, but having been one of the first to extol the virtues of TuneYards before they first played West Holts (where was everyone for the gig of the festival - two rows of spread out musos...), I feel I have to share PWR BTTM - Ugly Cherries.  I'm a little late to the party I know (I hate parties anyway), but if you haven't heard this and you like TuneYards/Pixies/Breeders/great music then I guarentee you will have this on repeat for days.  btw they are touring next month!

Enjoy...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nikkic said:

The new Soulwax one is worth a listen. Doesn't quite have the bangers of Nite Versions but I think it'd sound decent live. 

I had it in my head that it would follow on from the forever-extended Nite Versions tour and be really heavy. But going the way they have has allowed them to explore a few different musical avenues, and successfully in my opinion! It still has some sharp teeth about it to go mental to live as well. ;)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/report_new_qotsa_album_is_finished.html

Wrap on QOTSA #7. Woop.

No Lanegan for the first time since S/T tho, which is a shame. Seems like he'd be high on the list of collaborators if they're still on good terms, but I've not seen much about guest appearances whereas on LC there was a teamsheet of guests before the album was finished. Maybe more inwardly focused on the members contributing this time.

All very exciting though. Gonna be lit af.

On 25/03/2017 at 4:29 PM, SighMo said:

The more I play it the more I realise Wildflower by The Avalanches will be my, sitting in the garden with a beer on warm evenings go-to album this summer... cool as!

It's a worldie. An utterly top bins, 45 yard screamer of an album.

That Saturday on West holts gets better everytime I look at it.

That Ondatropica album is noice btw

Edited by mjsell

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

If you haven't already, check out the previous EP too, Time is Tight. I think it's the better of the two, although there's not much in it.

Just downloaded it, will give it a listen on the way home. Cheers. 

On 3/25/2017 at 4:42 PM, Pipkins said:

I rarely post to the forums, but having been one of the first to extol the virtues of TuneYards before they first played West Holts (where was everyone for the gig of the festival - two rows of spread out musos...), I feel I have to share PWR BTTM - Ugly Cherries.  I'm a little late to the party I know (I hate parties anyway), but if you haven't heard this and you like TuneYards/Pixies/Breeders/great music then I guarentee you will have this on repeat for days.  btw they are touring next month!

Enjoy...

You sound like great craic.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, dentalplan said:

This Kelly Lee Owens album is wonderful. Hadn't heard of her before this week but got recommended this track yesterday and it's enormous, and the album stands up to it as well. Check it.

Also been enjoying this a lot. Apparently she's mates with Daniel Avery and it definitely reminds me of his (superlative) album.