2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

3 hours ago, uscore said:

I like that I got a down vote for posting a song I like. Nice work, that person.

I don't know if this is the reason, as it wasn't me, but it might be because you posted a random link to god-knows-where. It's not all that user friendly for someone browsing a thread on new music, and it's no surprise if no one clicked on a faceless link just to a band that you like.

I mean this in the least arsey way possible.

7 hours ago, fat_man_joe said:

I don't know if this is the reason, as it wasn't me, but it might be because you posted a random link to god-knows-where. It's not all that user friendly for someone browsing a thread on new music, and it's no surprise if no one clicked on a faceless link just to a band that you like.

I mean this in the least arsey way possible.

Oh fair enough if so, I guess. It's a YouTube link, I expected it to embed into the post like everyone else's did

14 hours ago, Mardy said:

New ep by Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever.

It's an absolute beaut. I'm new to this band but they're the best thing I've found in ages. The latest in a long line of genius Australian indie pop. The Go-Betweens, Ariel Maps, Modern Giant, the Lucksmiths. That sort of thing. Anyway this is a fucking cracker.

Yes! They're bleddy ace, the last EP featured highly on my list of best records of last year (as recorded for posterity on this website, although no-one seems to have taken any notice). I'm glad some of the bastions of taste on here are discovering them. I'm not so glad they're coming over for EOTR, which makes a Glaso slot unlikely, although I guess they'll do some shows around it.

14 hours ago, Mardy said:

New ep by Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever.

It's an absolute beaut. I'm new to this band but they're the best thing I've found in ages. The latest in a long line of genius Australian indie pop. The Go-Betweens, Ariel Maps, Modern Giant, the Lucksmiths. That sort of thing. Anyway this is a fucking cracker.

What a tune that is. Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yes! They're bleddy ace, the last EP featured highly on my list of best records of last year (as recorded for posterity on this website, although no-one seems to have taken any notice). I'm glad some of the bastions of taste on here are discovering them. I'm not so glad they're coming over for EOTR, which makes a Glaso slot unlikely, although I guess they'll do some shows around it.

They're playing the Lexington just after eotr, 4th September, i think

• Upvote 1

On 10/03/2017 at 7:51 AM, kingcrawler said:

Listened to the new Circa Waves album twice now and can't say I'm too into it. I'm not a huge fan by any means but I thought their debut was a solid effort and that they were really good at what they did. They've changed up the sound on this new one a bit though, half of it seems to be going for an Homme influenced Arctic Monkeys sound and the other half is the same idea as their debut but without the jangle. It's not a bad album and I'll stick with it but on the whole it just lacks the charm and the fun that their debut had.

I think that's what they were going for, but they've somehow landed on a Hoobastank vibe.

Had expectations that it'd be generic but that'd give it too much credit at this point. This is just a purely awful album. I recommend that people don't listen to it.

Edited by dentalplan

7 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yo I noticed. I had heard one song but didn't realise they had an album until your post on the AOTY thread - thought I posted as much to say thanks but seems I forgot to. As much as I enjoyed that I think the new EP is even better, Julie's Place is stellar.

The London show around EOTR being marketed as a 'debut London show' has pretty much dashed my hopes of an early Wills Green slot. :( Can only hope they roll out some more dates up the country after that.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yo I noticed. I had heard one song but didn't realise they had an album until your post on the AOTY thread - thought I posted as much to say thanks but seems I forgot to. As much as I enjoyed that I think the new EP is even better, Julie's Place is stellar.

Ah, cheers Dental, glad someone noticed. I'm not sure which of the two I prefer, they are both superb. Not sure releasing lengthy EPs is a good idea, surely they'd have got more attention putting an album out? Maybe they're going to go Beta Band-stylee. Anyways, they're a fab new band who deserve to be very popular, this forum and this thread once again ahead of the curve.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I think that's what they were going for, but they've somehow landed on a Hoobastank vibe.

Had expectations that it'd be generic but that'd give it too much credit at this point. This is just a purely awful album. I recommend that people don't listen to it.

Yeah I didn't think you'd like the album at all. I don't dislike it as much as you do, it was disappointing but I've still heard worse albums this year. I'll give it a few more goes this week and see if it grows on me as there's a few songs on there I do like. 

Did you listen to the Cameron Avery album? Haven't seen anyone else mention it and it seems like something you'd listen to given the Tame Impala connection. I thought it was quite good but maybe not as good as I was hoping for after he released Wasted on Fidelity which is the clear standout.

12 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I didn't think you'd like the album at all. I don't dislike it as much as you do, it was disappointing but I've still heard worse albums this year. I'll give it a few more goes this week and see if it grows on me as there's a few songs on there I do like. 

Did you listen to the Cameron Avery album? Haven't seen anyone else mention it and it seems like something you'd listen to given the Tame Impala connection. I thought it was quite good but maybe not as good as I was hoping for after he released Wasted on Fidelity which is the clear standout.

Don't think I've heard worse but I usually forget it if I do. Stuff like the latest ones by The xx, Dirty Projectors and Tokyo Police Club I can remember not getting into at all but are still leagues above what I thought of the new Circa Waves. I don't even see what spurred them on to be all "okay we make tough rock music now, deal with it". It might work for them tho, I dunno.

I haven't listened to Cam Avery yet but it's in the queue. I was really taken by the Gum album last year by one of the other Tame Impalads so hopefully it can do the same.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Don't think I've heard worse but I usually forget it if I do. Stuff like the latest ones by The xx, Dirty Projectors and Tokyo Police Club I can remember not getting into at all but are still leagues above what I thought of the new Circa Waves. I don't even see what spurred them on to be all "okay we make tough rock music now, deal with it". It might work for them tho, I dunno.

I haven't listened to Cam Avery yet but it's in the queue. I was really taken by the Gum album last year by one of the other Tame Impalads so hopefully it can do the same.

I was mainly thinking of Ed Sheeran and Vant, The xx album is probably still my favourite of the year so far but that's more down to there not being anything really great so far imo. But yeah, I don't see this sound working out too well for them, not anymore so than what they were doing before anyway. I'm going to see them next week so curious to see how well the new stuff goes down live. 

On 3/9/2017 at 7:34 PM, calamitymaud said:

Listened to The Shins new one, Heartworms, a fair few times now.

Big fan of theirs, and I had fairly low hopes because of one or two of the singles, but it's much better than I expected. 7.5/10 overall from me, which seems to be in line with the reviews so far.

I've had this on and off then on again over the weekend and reaaaaalllly like it.  My previous Shins listens have always left me cold - too close to whimsy with grating backing vocals for me.  I came to them backwardsly from Broken Bells and this one seems to me a smoother journey from that universe.  Then again maybe it's just my taste has changed a bit and now open to a bit of whimsy.  I'll be the one skipping around with a specially grown extra long floppy fringe come June when they play (hopefully).

• Upvote 1

Tell you what, that Japandroids longplayer might have some really gross moments but coulda been a lot worse without some quality control...

Imagine if this was the comeback single. Would be devastating on the scale of One For All/The Love Within.

At least it's a b-side but they should have never really hit record on this.

Edited by dentalplan

25 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Laura Marling's new one is fine; nice enough, not in a hurry to listen to it again immediately though.

New Charli XCX is lit af.

If my life depended on listening to the new Laura Marling album... well I'd probably listen to it but I'd savour the time before I had to. 

Didn't know xCx ChArLi xCx had anything new out. Heard literally zilch about that. Will go get it.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Didn't know xCx ChArLi xCx had anything new out. Heard literally zilch about that. Will go get it.

I wonder if she's given up on the UK tbh. She definitely largely ignored promoting Sucker over here for doing loads of stuff in the US, seems like she done nothing at all to promote this one here.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I wonder if she's given up on the UK tbh. She definitely largely ignored promoting Sucker over here for doing loads of stuff in the US, seems like she done nothing at all to promote this one here.

Don't blame her, teebs. As long as she goes to Glasto annually and can get access to Mr Kipling cakes then she has all the good bits about Britain covered.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Don't blame her, teebs. As long as she goes to Glasto annually and can get access to Mr Kipling cakes then she has all the good bits about Britain covered.

I'm not so sure, I don't know how any British person isn't crushed under the pressure of the weird tipping system in America.