2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

17 hours ago, SighMo said:

Been playing the new Ibibio Sound Machine album, Uyai. Nigerian electro, colourful, sometimes 80s disco feel. Would like to see a live performance. 

It's a cracker - right up my street.  And yeah I imagine probably even better live.West Holts slot I hope.

1 minute ago, White Bear said:

Say what you want about Kasabian but at least they're always good for a laugh. Their last album provided some of the funniest musical moments of 2014. Here's to many more.

So this new Jay Som album is fantastic. Can't stop playing it and this song especially:

About to give the new Hurry for the Riff Raff album a go as well after seeing it getting some glowing reviews and liking some of what I've heard. Shame about that name or I probably would've given them a go before now :lol:

4 hours ago, bunfight said:

The Emerging Talent Longlist is taking time to appear isn't it? Has been out first week in March the last few years. I always try to find something from everyone on it and pick my own shortlist: got 3 last year, including SDTG....

Yes it is although the closing date was a bit later than previous years so I think it should be out tomorrow or Friday.  

Edited by addicted2noise
grammar

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

So this new Jay Som album is fantastic.

I think it is fairly good and that song is impressive. The record's got potential and she's produced it well but not many of the songs stand out really. 

Can't help but feel that maybe in the wake of Car Seat Headrest and Mitski crushing it after toiling away for years, she's a victim of the music press is loading up the praise on D.I.Y.-indie artists in attempt to shine a light on the new 'big' thing before they can really grow into the finished article. Same with the rave reviews that Vagabon album got last month. Tho this is probably how it's always been and I've only noticed it this year.

Edited by dentalplan

49 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think it is fairly good and that song is impressive. The record's got potential and she's produced it well but not many of the songs stand out really. 

Can't help but feel that maybe in the wake of Car Seat Headrest and Mitski crushing it after toiling away for years, she's a victim of the music press is loading up the praise on D.I.Y.-indie artists in attempt to shine a light on the new 'big' thing before they can really grow into the finished article. Same with the rave reviews that Vagabon album got last month. Tho this is probably how it's always been and I've only noticed it this year.

I'm liking the Vagabon and Jay Som albums at the moment, maybe they are being overpraised but I find them quite refreshing compared to a lot of music about right now. It is strange how they both start with songs about buses though. 

7 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

It is strange how they both start with songs about buses though. 

When they eventually make the transition from bedroom pop to mainstream acts as will they transition from songs about buses to songs about Bentleys and Hennessey.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, addicted2noise said:

I'm liking the Vagabon and Jay Som albums at the moment, maybe they are being overpraised but I find them quite refreshing compared to a lot of music about right now. It is strange how they both start with songs about buses though. 

The opposite of what I'm feeling, to be honest. If you listen to one of those 'breaking indie' playlists then you'll be stuffed with similar sounding lo-fi acts fresh off Bandcamp, and that's not a bad thing because they're generally as decent as the above mentioned, but similarly not quite there yet. And putting a rocket underneath one every couple of weeks is just gonna make the previous one easily forgotten. And then we have to look to Kasabian to save guitar music from the abyss.

10 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Kasabian are here to save guitar music!

I agree that it's in critical condition, but that's largely due to folk like them.

Loads of good "guitar music" (indie rock) around at the moment. In the last 12 months there's been top banana albums from yer mor well-known Mitski, Angel Olsen, Grandaddy, Los Campesinos!, Car Seat Headrest and Dinosaur Jr, and there's an extremely healthy DIY scene in the UK right now, and up and comers in the USA. The mainstream is well away from it, which I'm happy with, because it's much nicer to watch a gig in a room full dorks who actually like this stuff than the trendy leather jacket skinny jeans and winkle picker shitc**ts from the mid-00s NME cider craze days.