Saturday stroll round the site.... (Pics)

Stretlow

7 hours ago, alexwetherell said:

Has anyone ever visited the site using public transport? Me and the Mrs don't drive, but really want to go visit at some point when the fest isn't on. I know we'll have to get a train to Castle Cary, but not sure if it's possible to get a bus any closer to the site from there? I'd imagine it'd have to be a taxi...

There are busses that run from castle cary to Shepton mallet / Shepton Mallet to Pilton. First bus is one hour tops, second 10/15 minutes. Check return times as you don't want to be stranded in Pilton.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning to visit the site on the way to Cornwall at the end of March. It's pretty much equidistant between our House and where we are going and more or less on the way, so it will be a good place to stop and let the dog stretch its legs. Something I've always wanted to do, and it will be a little surreal to walk our dog there, and be in the same place three months later with about 200k other people!

I've read on here to email them first and they will email you a map etc, anybody got their email address?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Planning to visit the site on the way to Cornwall at the end of March. It's pretty much equidistant between our House and where we are going and more or less on the way, so it will be a good place to stop and let the dog stretch its legs. Something I've always wanted to do, and it will be a little surreal to walk our dog there, and be in the same place three months later with about 200k other people!

I've read on here to email them first and they will email you a map etc, anybody got their email address?

It's courtesy to email them in advance and as it's a working farm they'll request that you adhere to the country code, keep dogs on a lead, etc. I usually email help@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk and office@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk and get a response in a couple days from one of those addresses. They've never sent me a map, but you won't need one anyway. I usually park my car by the playing field on Pylle Road then walk down through Hitchen Hill, you get a nice view of the Pyramid in all its naked glory

Edited by SPTFRE

4 hours ago, SPTFRE said:

It's courtesy to email them in advance and as it's a working farm they'll request that you adhere to the country code, keep dogs on a lead, etc. I usually email help@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk and office@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk and get a response in a couple days from one of those addresses. They've never sent me a map, but you won't need one anyway. I usually park my car by the playing field on Pylle Road then walk down through Hitchen Hill, you get a nice view of the Pyramid in all its naked glory

Thank you for your help. Looking at google maps, is the playing field you refer to next to, or also, Pilton Skateboard park? I can see that on the map relatively close to Hitchen Hill. From here can you just pretty much walk to the Pyramid?

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Thank you for your help. Looking at google maps, is the playing field you refer to next to, or also, Pilton Skateboard park? I can see that on the map relatively close to Hitchen Hill. From here can you just pretty much walk to the Pyramid?

Yeah, that's it. They prefer it if you don't park directly outside the park if you're not using it but there's plenty of space on the side of the road about 50 yards down the road towards Mary's Gate. 

If you follow the Hitchen Hill road, rather than bank off left to go towards the actual farm, carry on down the hill towards "The Wood" and explore away. You'll be surprised how many other people you might bump into doing the same as you, and don't forget to post some pics, it always looks beautiful in Spring

On 13/02/2017 at 8:39 PM, guypjfreak said:

Top of the range old son. I agree.. 

It took me four years lol now we make a little pilgrimage and have a can o cider and pill to say thanks.... 

I know most go to the stones but they have become a bit of a mess nowadays imo.. A couple of years me and the wife picked up a load of those gas canisters and the wife's made a sort of mobile sculpture lol 

Yeah there was a distinct lack of 'leave no trace' going on at the stones last year

you could probably get a bus to the 'East' camper/caravan entrance from the main road A37, then it'd be a mile or so walk through Pylle to get to 'Gate C'.

I've been a few times 'out of season' but always feel like I'm trespassing, are the farmers OK with people wandering around ? I'd love to get some pics of the railway line area.

edit: missed all the posts above me :D will email.

gatec.thumb.jpg.9e95728c861720581b085fdb30e62219.jpg

Edited by paulshane

there are always people walking round the farm, we walk and run there all year round.  No one minds as long as you look out for livestock, follow the tracks and shut gates etc. You can get buses to Pilton from Shepton / Glastonbury.  They are Somerset buses and so are infrequent, may not turn up on time, and may not turn up at all. Timetables are on line.

If you get off the bus near the pub, walk through the village to to the farm and either go in through Mary's gate, Worthy Lane or by the Tithe Barn (All will show on maps). Don't forget to wave if you see someone, we are friendly down here.

It is all rather lovely out of season.

IMG_3484.JPG

8 minutes ago, phil the shrew said:

This is a ridiculous question as 2017 will be my 10th Glastonbury but where exactly on the site is the wooded area with the pond? Not quite sure how I've missed that!

near the new john peel tent , although I haven't made it yet even being camped next to it !!

11 minutes ago, phil the shrew said:

This is a ridiculous question as 2017 will be my 10th Glastonbury but where exactly on the site is the wooded area with the pond? Not quite sure how I've missed that!

You can be forgiven for the first 8 years, since it wasn't there, but I can't fathom how you missed all the fuss over it's introduction last year.  It's called The Wood and is near the new John Peel tent.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/the-wood/

Hi guys, if this helps at all, last year I parked in the coach park at gate A. Google maps is Park Hill, Pilton (opposite cider orchard). 

I walked south then turned left to take me along to the Pyramid (takes you to the back of it)

Saw some tractors and was simply greeted with a friendly nod. 

IMG_1851.PNG

Red gate / gate A coach park has barriers with a keypad. Sometimes it is open and sometimes not. Parking there may involve a long stay if they shut behind you. That area belongs to Park farm and not Worthy.

And because Stuart likes pedantry,  the pond has always been there. They have just cleared around it.

Edited by pilton digger

3 hours ago, pilton digger said:

Red gate / gate A coach park has barriers with a keypad. Sometimes it is open and sometimes not. Parking there may involve a long stay if they shut behind you. That area belongs to Park farm and not Worthy.

And because Stuart likes pedantry,  the pond has always been there. They have just cleared around it.

26 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It was there - we just weren't allowed to go there.                                          

You pedantic gits! It wasn't part of the festival then, ok? :P

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It was there - we just weren't allowed to go there.                                          

Sure, I can get even more pedantic.

It was there, and we were allowed to go there, but at that point it was just a single path through the woods and nothing special was made of it.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Sure, I can get even more pedantic.

It was there, and we were allowed to go there, but at that point it was just a single path through the woods and nothing special was made of it.

Really?  Personally I would say that's not pedantic, it's actually interesting information that there was public access in the past, I genuinely didn't know that.