Can we move Glastonbury to the middle of July please?

RichardWaller

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20 July 2016 at 7:59 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Can't we have a semi-permanent festival, May to August say, and we can all saunter down when the weather suits us best?

This is a brilliant idea, I went to a festival in India that lasted for 8 weeks, a Glastonbury that went on for that long would be amazing. 
Charm x 

I went to Latitude last weekend and the weather was so so hot, at times it was pretty unbearable and I would have done anything for some Glastonbury rain! Of course the sun was lovely but walking miles and miles in that heat is really just as exhausting

There was only one downside to 2010 and that was the cans of Guinness I'd taken were too hot to drink by mid-day.

I managed to stay hydrated by drinking cold cider from the bars. A price I'd be willing to pay for a repeat of that weather.

In summary, hat, factor 50, cider, bring your own red wine, space blankets. Sorted.

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Some people really need to grow a pair. 

Everyone's bodies will react to different things different, and some weather will suit some more than others. Some people coped with 2010 fine, others really struggled, same this year.

Only thing that bothers me is people who haven't done a proper hot one right up assuming they could deal with it fine. Unless you go out and spend five days in boiling sun with no shade, you won't know how your body reacts. It's very different to a holiday in the south of France.

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Only thing that bothers me is people who haven't done a proper hot one right up assuming they could deal with it fine. Unless you go out and spend five days in boiling sun with no shade, you won't know how your body reacts. It's very different to a holiday in the south of France.

I think that's fair.  I assumed I'd hate a muddy year and turned out it wasn't as bad as I thought.  By the same rationale you could assume a hot year would be beautiful and then promptly suffer.

So in conclusion:

1. Until you've experienced a certain weather condition in the context of 5 days at Glastonbury it's hard to comment on how you'll find it.

2. Everyone has different preferences and copes better or worse with different weather.

3. The festival is unlikely to move based on what we think, so the whole thing's redundant :)

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Everyone's bodies will react to different things different, and some weather will suit some more than others. Some people coped with 2010 fine, others really struggled, same this year.

I had an almighty motherfucker of a hangover whenever Willie Nelson played in 2010 and bought a couple of umbrellas to kip under for an hour or so. Couldn't hack the heat at that time. Buying ice from the shops helped aswell. 

People seem to moan about any type of weather though regardless. too rainy, too much sun, too much cloud, too cold at night, too hot in the morning, too muddy, too dusty.

Balls too smally. 

59 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I had an almighty motherfucker of a hangover whenever Willie Nelson played in 2010 and bought a couple of umbrellas to kip under for an hour or so. Couldn't hack the heat at that time. Buying ice from the shops helped aswell. 

People seem to moan about any type of weather though regardless. too rainy, too much sun, too much cloud, too cold at night, too hot in the morning, too muddy, too dusty.

Balls too smally. 

Oh yes, we wouldn't people being all negative about the weather now would we Mr Nal sir ....

*cough* weather thread 2016 *cough*

:ph34r:

On 21/07/2016 at 7:53 PM, Pinhead said:

Nope - leave it where it is. Makes no real difference. Bearded a few weeks before was as hot and dry as a bone all festi. Luck of the draw.

i agree old son you cant know wot the weather is gonna be like ...its always been as it is way change it ah

I'm sure somebody better informed can confirm this, but as far as "staying hydrated" goes, isn't alcohol a diuretic, and therefore in your bodies attempts to get rid of it it makes you wee it all out along with all the water? So drinking a cold beer or cider may feel like it's hydrating you but in fact is doing the exact opposite?

You know, I used to think the most remarkable thing about this site was that there are so many lovely, intelligent, funny people with absolutely appalling taste in music (you know who you are). But if anything, in recent weeks that's been outdone by the weatherc**ts who want some rain. The idea that mud is better than sun is up there with Farage claiming there'd be 350 million a week extra for the NHS. Baseless. mendacious, infammatory and downright dangerous.

I agree, I meant extreme in terms of the Glastonbury weather spectrum. 2007 and 2010 are probably the worst and best in recent memory. 

Most of the issues with weather like 2010 stems from people not looking after themselves eg not drinking nearly enough water. Totally avoidable. 

On 24 July 2016 at 9:20 AM, Mardy said:

You know, I used to think the most remarkable thing about this site was that there are so many lovely, intelligent, funny people with absolutely appalling taste in music (you know who you are). But if anything, in recent weeks that's been outdone by the weatherc**ts who want some rain. The idea that mud is better than sun is up there with Farage claiming there'd be 350 million a week extra for the NHS. Baseless. mendacious, infammatory and downright dangerous.

Yeah, it's a bit of a silly one that. The mud has such a knock on effect, not only just being harder to walk on particularly when wounded, but course the metal paths get congested cos you've got 30 people wide trying to be 5 people wide.. Don't think mud is quite as annoying as Farage though...