Can we move Glastonbury to the middle of July please?

RichardWaller

On 24/07/2016 at 9:20 AM, Mardy said:

... The idea that mud is better than sun is up there with Farage claiming there'd be 350 million a week extra for the NHS. Baseless. mendacious, infammatory and downright dangerous.

I too much, much, much prefer heat to mud. But are you sure Farage made that claim?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, NorthernScum said:

I too much, much, much prefer heat to mud. But are you sure Farage made that claim?

Apparently so.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-nigel-farage-nhs-350-million-pounds-live-health-service-u-turn-a7102831.html

Although on the actual footage, he only mentions 238M a week.  But the net figure is nearly half - 120M https://infacts.org/uk-doesnt-send-eu-350m-a-week-or-55m-a-day/

Edited by stuartbert two hats

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've listened to it a few times. He doesn't make the alleged claim, whichever figure we look at. I've made a point of listening carefully since his reasonable breast-feeding comments were blown-up with such hullabaloo.

7 hours ago, NorthernScum said:

I've listened to it a few times. He doesn't make the alleged claim, whichever figure we look at. I've made a point of listening carefully since his reasonable breast-feeding comments were blown-up with such hullabaloo.

The footage doesn't show him making the claim, but the relevant quotes are in the article body.

On 24/07/2016 at 3:45 PM, nikkic said:

I agree, I meant extreme in terms of the Glastonbury weather spectrum. 2007 and 2010 are probably the worst and best in recent memory. 

Most of the issues with weather like 2010 stems from people not looking after themselves eg not drinking nearly enough water. Totally avoidable. 

The fact people like being really hot is completely alien to me. Im never going to understand it.

No one wants rain as a first choice, but if its a bit colder - put another layer on, Simple. If its 28° and sunny. There is no chance of getting cooler, none what-so-ever.

Clear freezing winter days are my favourite. If we were guaranteed those, we could move it to December for me

11 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The fact people like being really hot is completely alien to me. Im never going to understand it.

No one wants rain as a first choice, but if its a bit colder - put another layer on, Simple. If its 28° and sunny. There is no chance of getting cooler, none what-so-ever.

Clear freezing winter days are my favourite. If we were guaranteed those, we could move it to December for me

What's wrong with 21C?

14 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Tell me to butt out here if you think I'm out of line, but - in order to help you deal better with warmer ones - how's your level of fitness, generally?

I'm unclear on the science, but I think if you're aerobically fit you can generally handle hot weather better. Certainly,  in the past when I've been carrying more weight and exercising less it's more of a struggle on hot days.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Tell me to butt out here if you think I'm out of line, but - in order to help you deal better with warmer ones - how's your level of fitness, generally?

I'm unclear on the science, but I think if you're aerobically fit you can generally handle hot weather better. Certainly,  in the past when I've been carrying more weight and exercising less it's more of a struggle on hot days.

Dunno, I'm a right fat c**t and I love the sun.

Mind I also love cold, clear days too. It's just he motherfucking rain that gets me down.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not even any great sun worshipper - never sunbathe or anything like that - but I still wish every year could have weather like 2010.

Ditto.  For most of the time I'm like @FuzzyDunlop, a creature of cold and mists.  Favourite time of year is generally early spring when you get the wonderful combination of bright skies and a bit of greenery coming through, but also still nice and cold.  Often grumble when it's too hot, especially as has been pointed out there's not much more you can do to cool down once you're down to shorts!

But for that one week, give me the sun in all its glory. Doesn't have to be a heatwave, but clear skies from Tuesday to Monday is what I want.  Just seems to lift the whole experience.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm probably above the average Glasto goer fitness wise. I play football twice a week and I go to the gym (not as often as I should), but I do go. I'm 6ft 3 and 14st 4. So I'm not carrying too much extra.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And the view over the site is glorious. Watching someone ace on the park in brilliant sunshine and turning your head  and looking over the site in all its glory is life affirming and can bring a tear to the eye. 

Even first thing.  We normally park up on Big Ground, so opening your tent in the morning to see blue skies as the whole site's coming to life is just glorious!

On 26 July 2016 at 8:46 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

I know you hate the heat but you really are being silly now fuzzy, we might all die of hypothermia if we tried to do Glastonbury in the snow, have you ever slept outside in December, I'm sure it's horrific :)
Charm x

1 hour ago, Charm said:

I know you hate the heat but you really are being silly now fuzzy, we might all die of hypothermia if we tried to do Glastonbury in the snow, have you ever slept outside in December, I'm sure it's horrific :)
Charm x

I was being facetious with the december comment tbh.

Its when it is for a reason - the solstice. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop