Headliner predictions 2017

swede

2 minutes ago, evannn said:

There are also Radiohead fans who want to hear music from In Rainbows onwards, and a lot of fans who like everything from Pablo Honey (insert joke) to AMSP. An old musician/group who have consistently made music to a decent standard should be up there certainly, but a group who've been rinsing their old material for a cash grab shouldn't. 

There's more of an argument for them being headliners in 2013

I am sure there are plenty of Radiohead fans who want to hear deep cuts. It's the overall percentage of the crowd I am speaking about though, and that's the important thing about a festival. The majority of the crowd aren't going to be Radiohead fans who have their favourite album lists tatooed on their arm.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Is he the lead writer though? How do you know Amy Wadge didn't just give him credit for Thinking Out Loud (which lets be honest is the song that has elevated him to glasto headliner) in exchange for the exposure? After all It's far more tuneful than the two early singles he did write. I'm not trying to slag him just curious whether artistic credibility is that important for a headliner if they're popular enough.

The songwriting dynamics between Ed and Amy are well-documented and go back to when he was nothing. He doesn't write most of his songs alone, no, but the idea he just turns up to the studio and adds a vocal track to songs offered to the highest bidder, ala S Club 7 or Rihanna, holds no grounds in reality I'm afraid.

Edited by Zac Quinn

47 minutes ago, Untz said:

There is a universe right now where Hot Chip are playing Beach Party on the Pyramid in glorious 27 degree sunshine and I'm stuck in the one where I'm "working" in a shitty office counting down to pub o'clock.

Mate if it is any consolation then I have been pi55ing blood out of my rear end after a colitis flare  and been pumped full of steroids. I have some how fet to get myself sorted for works xmas doo tonight. I would much rather be sat bored in the office.

41 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Can we just agree the headliners should have been Radiohead, The Stone Roses, and The Cure? I'm delighted it isn't, because I would have been one bitter bastard.

It should have been Depeche Mode mate. Such a wasted opportunity and they are absolute fools not taking the opportunities when they have been asked.

14 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

The point was made about bands getting booked for their songs from 20-40 years ago though, not for the music most of the crowd aren't interested in. I bloody love Doom & Gloom, but I don't think there was many people in that field bothered about hearing that song.

The Northern blokes comment between 30-50 is poor.

I only said it because I am one.  It was an exaggeration, but that demographic does have a higher than average concentration of Roses fans.

4 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I am sure there are plenty of Radiohead fans who want to hear deep cuts. It's the overall percentage of the crowd I am speaking about though, and that's the important thing about a festival. The majority of the crowd aren't going to be Radiohead fans who have their favourite album lists tatooed on their arm.

Im not talking about deep cuts or lists. Radiohead have always been  massive. They could be considered headliner-worthy on music released pre-2000, or post-2000. The Stone Roses couldn't

5 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Mate if it is any consolation then I have been pi55ing blood out of my rear end after a colitis flare  and been pumped full of steroids. I have some how fet to get myself sorted for works xmas doo tonight. I would much rather be sat bored in the office.

It should have been Depeche Mode mate. Such a wasted opportunity and they are absolute fools not taking the opportunities when they have been asked.

I'm sure they will be asked again...and again!

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I only said it because I am one.  It was an exaggeration, but that demographic does have a higher than average concentration of Roses fans.

Think the age barrier is even lower to be honest. They seem to have a shitload of fans in their 20's.

5 minutes ago, evannn said:

Im not talking about deep cuts or lists. Radiohead have always been  massive. They could be considered headliner-worthy on music released pre-2000, or post-2000. The Stone Roses couldn't

I'm going to have to disagree with you there mind. It's a pointless argument, because its hypothetical, but if Kid A was their first album, and the songs before that didn't exist, I don't think they would have been headlining today. That's not about the quality of the music, more about what will appeal to the crowd. 

Edited by Alan_C

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Get well soon matey. I'm still hiding from some people (I think) I was an utter arse to at my works Christmas doo. Fun times.

7 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Was just reading up on this, I'm probably being cynical but it seems like he heard her playing the song then decided to "co-write" it with her. 

They wrote it on his seatee after having dinner together. The 'victory for the record label' type of pop music you were seemingly alluding to in your original post usually sees the eventual singer not even meet the writer let alone have any input. But if you are calling for Amy to appear on the Pyramid in June I'm bang up for it, she's great :)

Edited by Zac Quinn

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I have a similar affliction so I fully sympathise.

3 minutes ago, evannn said:

Yet for all the lists and fan obsession, the best songs Radiohead could put together would never match the 15 tunes that the Stone Roses have been flagging to death (imo obviously). As much as I have criticised the Roses recently, them tunes and THAT album  deserves centre stage and the countries biggest festival. It is just a shame they seem intent on rinsing every last drop. 

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Yet for all the lists and fan obsession, the best songs Radiohead could put together would never match the 15 tunes that the Stone Roses have been flagging to death (imo obviously). As much as I have criticised the Roses recently, them tunes and THAT album  deserves centre stage and the countries biggest festival. It is just a shame they seem intent on rinsing every last drop. 

I'm sorry but just no. I like you eastynh and enjoy your posts, even though they are usually about Depeche Mode, who I quite like, but just no. The Stone Roses have always been mediocre at best. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

5 minutes ago, Untz said:

Get well soon matey. I'm still hiding from some people (I think) I was an utter arse to at my works Christmas doo. Fun times.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have a similar affliction so I fully sympathise.

Cheers fellas. Nothing I can do till the steroids start working. I am dreading tomorrow if it is a heavy night.Taking it easy, is easier said than done. 

No doubt I will make a fool of myself in some way Untz. It would not be the Xmas doo if we didn't :-D

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm sorry but just no. I like you eastynh and enjoy your posts, even though they are usually about Depeche Mode, who I quite like, but just no. The Stone Roses have always been mediocre at best. 

There was no point in even responding to his comment, if you think The Stone Roses music is mediocre. Can't really be a balanced opinion can it?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Haha at least I have progressed from New Order last year :-D

I gave Radiohead a go at Lollapolooza this year. Just not for me. I could appreciate their skills but it did not fill me with any emotion. I suppose they are a Marmite band. 

In regards to the Roses, I am not their biggest fan and have been extremely critical of them on here. Yet that album remains to this day one of the greatest albums I have ever heard and fills me with nothing but pure and utter joy. 

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Haha at least I have progressed from New Order last year :-D

I gave Radiohead a go at Lollapolooza this year. Just not for me. I could appreciate their skills but it did not fill me with any emotion. I suppose they are a Marmite band. 

In regards to the Roses, I am not their biggest fan and have been extremely critical of them on here. Yet that album remains to this day one of the greatest albums I have ever heard and fills me with nothing but pure and utter joy. 

Fair enough. I think if Roses are worthy of a Pyramid slot (and I guess they are, given how much people harp on about em, even if I personally don't), then you have to allow that Radiohead are too, though.

Get well soon :)

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fair enough. I think if Roses are worthy of a Pyramid slot (and I guess they are, given how much people harp on about em, even if I personally don't), then you have to allow that Radiohead are too, though.

Get well soon :)

I find Radiohead difficult to listen to in the same way I find Joy Division difficult to listen to. The odd song here and there is fine. High and Dry came on my Deezer flow recently and I sat there thinking this is a quality tune. Yet if I listen to more than a couple then it leaves me cold. Joy Division have exactly the same effect on me.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

easty's workmates: "Here comes easty. Don't say anything, he'll turn it into a conversation about Depeche Mode".

@eastynh: "ENJOY THE SILENCE"

:-D

I am going to bore them with my recent bowel habbits and Italian House tonight. It is far more preferable to talking shop and semiconductors.