Madabout G

I'm sure people have already mentioned in this thread but I cba reading back through 8 pages - didn't Barry Gibb say it was Diana Ross next year?

Would be good but I was having a conversation over the weekend about it - not sure if HER ego would let her accept the legends slot....

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Wasn't there but watched some videos and it looked a bit "nice" in spots. A la Bacharach. So maybe that slot as opposed to the legends. 

Diana Ross' setlist from the other night. Would fucking nail the Pyramid with this.

That would probably surpass Lionel Ritchie. Especially because as much as I loved his performance, there's far more genuine classics in there.

Please make it happen Michael, Jeff Lynne was a poor choice IMO. 

Edited by arcade fireman

Aye that setlist would go down an absolute storm. I'm assuming a veteran like herself would have the showmanship to go along with it so apart from if her voice has gone to absolute shit (seems pretty great in videoes I've seen) I can't see her being anything less than a success. Fingers crossed they're right about her being booked

I DobtIIiibbbn laugh

4 hours ago, Badlands said:

How was Carole King? She got the chops for a Glastonbury headline set or even the legends??

Headline, no. Legends slot or even a cheeky high profile sub slot, yes.

First half of the set (The Tapestry bit) was amazing, second half got a bit "Vegas" towards the end but still good. Fair play to her, she's amazing for 74!

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Do we think RightBazza could even headline?

Would it be any more of a leftfield choice than Stevie, who was deffo considered beforehand by many as too small of a booking....?

I watched the Sunday coverage yesterday and Chris Martin mentioned in the interview afterwards how Gibb was nervous about even being up there as a special guest. Martin reckons he felt not enough people would know him.

1/3 of the Bee Gees isn't headline material. I can't remember much controversy over Stevie's size, and he's certainly a bigger draw than Bazza on his own.

I'm sure there was newspaper speculation that he'll be there next year, just not in the Legends slot.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Pre doing Glasto, Stevie wasn't doing shows any bigger than Bazza did on his solo tour, ie. places like the O2.

I'd say as a total body of work Bazza's tunes are more firmly rooted in the popular consciousness of the British public than Stevie's are.

Aye but the majority of them are with his band, not on his own. He's not really got much of a rep as a solo performer has he? I'd be very surprised if he got top billing.

Either Di Rozay or Rightbazza would quench my legends thirst!

25 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Aye but the majority of them are with his band, not on his own. He's not really got much of a rep as a solo performer has he? I'd be very surprised if he got top billing.

I'd be surprised as well....but I'd also say that - as last Bee Gee standing - RightBazza basically now embodies a band who are regarded with a vast amount of affection and positive memory.

I dunno where else he could play if he's also booked to play the same year as Miss Ross, and I think he - just about - has enough goodwill in the bank to top the bill.

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's not often ill say this to you, but I think you're way off with this one cal. Stevie may have been seen as 'too small' amongst the masses but I remember it being championed on here. Nearly everyone i knew who was there went to see him. If bazza was on in the afternoon pyramid i reckon they'd all go to that too, but not if headlining. 

Stevie Wonder is an actual 100% legend, who practically reinvented music.  I think it's really quite hard to overstate his impact on music, particularly R&B.  To my mind, he's up there with Bowie or McCartney in terms of musical influence, and if I'm honest, the only reason I'm not giving him a higher status is because I'm basically a white electronica indie-kid* who doesn't listen to that much R&B**.

* 'Kid' might be stretching it
** This of course means I might be talking total bollocks and Stevie was an utterly derivative artist and I'm simply not aware of his influences.