2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, evannn said:

I don't know if it's still a dirty word, but there's a lot of DIY emo on bandcamp; Foxing, twiabp, Jeff rosenstock are my main recs but a lot of labels put whole rosters on there (maybe try big scary monsters, top shelf, triple crown, count your lucky stars). 

New burial seems to go on there, so maybe hyperdub have a lot of stuff (electronic, experimental bass). 

clipping. are a really good experimental hip-hop group, their newest album is on there (so maybe other sub pop artists are too). 

And I couldn't do a bandcamp thread without recommending Ducking Punches, a fave local band of mine. great folk-punk on xtra mile. 

Love emo! Was actually listening to Formlessness by TWIABP(AIANLAFTD) today, so I'll take that as a good indicator that your recommendations are sound. Clipping, again, big fan, been meaning to listen to that new one, so might do that tomorrow.

Today's listening was Colin Stetson's Sorrow: A Re-imagining of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, proper boss ass shit there. And from there I remembered Sarah Neufeld released an album early this year that I never got round to, so I stuck that on and it was lovely. Been a nice day.

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Today's listening was Colin Stetson's Sorrow: A Re-imagining of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, proper boss ass shit there. And from there I remembered Sarah Neufeld released an album early this year that I never got round to, so I stuck that on and it was lovely. Been a nice day.

I listened to that on a train after a heavy night out. Not a good idea.

8 minutes ago, Chewie said:

New Childish Gambino album is real baby making music

Can see this getting a lot of replays over the weekend 

only listened through once and as somebody who's not really followed him it definitely wasn't what i was expecting. i know Camp was far more conventional hip-hop but has his work since been this experimental or is this his first foray in to that territory? not really sure what to make of a lot of it either way but there were definite great moments in there

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 8:51 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Is The Rolling Stones' new one worth my time?

Got round to listening to SVIIB the other day, really enjoyed it, solid listen. Also very much enjoying Instrumentelepathy by The Gaslamp Killer. My work have banned use of personal devices in the office, so I've had to resort to streaming everything through my work computer, Bandcamp is pretty much the only thing that works there, if anybody's got any recommendations for good recent full albums on there? Pretty much all Gaslamp Killer, Trust Fund, those Majora's Mask soundtrack remixes and Mitski at the moment.

New stones album sounds great to me, I think they can be pretty hit and miss personally but this is great.

For bandcamp I bought an album off there recently from a band called Mums (formerly Aeroplanes Fly High) and it's brilliant, fuzz turned up to 12 and loud as anything (think the albums called land of giants or something). Saw them at Islington mill and I think the whole of Salford must've felt the vibrations. They're pretty funny too 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

only listened through once and as somebody who's not really followed him it definitely wasn't what i was expecting. i know Camp was far more conventional hip-hop but has his work since been this experimental or is this his first foray in to that territory? not really sure what to make of a lot of it either way but there were definite great moments in there

This is definitely more experimental than his other work, although some of his LPs have touched on it.

Gobsmacked by the new Gambino sound to be honest! Was it expected that he was coming out with something so funky? I played Camp to death and enjoyed really  Royalty but thought he was disappearing up his own arse with that last one.

That Last Shadow Puppets cover on the last page is fucking horrific by the way....

8 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I can't listen to music when I'm pished, fucks with my perception of time for some reason.

Elaborate Lawny.

It does me too. But I quite like it. Except when I wake up on the sofa an hour before I have to get up for work having had weird dreams all night due to a Spotify playlist playing on headphones all night. 

One night I nearly had a fucking heart attack listening to Eno's Music for Airports in bed when c**ted not realising my Spotify account payment had been cancelled and a fucking advert for shampoo or summat kicked the shit out of the ambience. 

3 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Elaborate Lawny.

It does me too. But I quite like it. Except when I wake up on the sofa an hour before I have to get up for work having had weird dreams all night due to a Spotify playlist playing on headphones all night. 

One night I nearly had a fucking heart attack listening to Eno's Music for Airports in bed when c**ted not realising my Spotify account payment had been cancelled and a fucking advert for shampoo or summat kicked the shit out of the ambience. 

Only when I get very drunk, but I can't follow the linear progression of the song at peak pished, so either it seems like all the song is happening at once and I don't know what the fuck is going on, or it seems like the same bit of the song has been playing for fucking ages. At less drunk I can keep track at what bit of music is in the second, but can't remember the bit that came before it at all, so it doesn't have any sort of tune or make any sense. It's what I imagine insanity to be like. Recently there's been footage of drunk me hearing a song and being like "AWW YIS DIS MAH JAM!!!", then abruptly stop realising there's any music on at all and wandering around blankly like a ghost until about 20 seconds later when I pick up the song again and getting on it, that cycle repeated 3 times in a 90 second video. Absolutely mortified I was, I had assumed that post-memory drunk Lawn was 100% dancing queen all the time, but it seems my consciousness is just intermittently going for wanders without my physical form, which is obviously not on.

59 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Gobsmacked by the new Gambino sound to be honest! Was it expected that he was coming out with something so funky? I played Camp to death and enjoyed really  Royalty but thought he was disappearing up his own arse with that last one.

I knew it was gonna be funky and different (or else I wouldn't have bothered as I'm not regularly a fan) but it's not even a rap album, which is what's knocked me for six. #RightDonald has no right to make an album so utterly wondrous. Amazing stuff.

Edited by dentalplan

16 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Only when I get very drunk, but I can't follow the linear progression of the song at peak pished, so either it seems like all the song is happening at once and I don't know what the fuck is going on, or it seems like the same bit of the song has been playing for fucking ages. At less drunk I can keep track at what bit of music is in the second, but can't remember the bit that came before it at all, so it doesn't have any sort of tune or make any sense. It's what I imagine insanity to be like. Recently there's been footage of drunk me hearing a song and being like "AWW YIS DIS MAH JAM!!!", then abruptly stop realising there's any music on at all and wandering around blankly like a ghost until about 20 seconds later when I pick up the song again and getting on it, that cycle repeated 3 times in a 90 second video. Absolutely mortified I was, I had assumed that post-memory drunk Lawn was 100% dancing queen all the time, but it seems my consciousness is just intermittently going for wanders without my physical form, which is obviously not on.

Hehe! Brilliant!

All which begs the question:

Do you actively manage your pissedness at Glastonbury then?

I've learned to. My avatar / profile pic being my nadir. But that was Stag Do Glastonbury.