Headliners 2016

thewayiam

9 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

Find it interesting how last year we were saying that Noel Gallagher wouldn't be playing glasto unless he was headlining and now he is being announced for medium sized festivals?

Is this just to earn a bit of cash before album number 3?

Isn't he just about earning cash per se?

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe he's headlining Y Not. I saw Frank Turner play there in a tent that held no more than 50 people and now they've managed to get Noel Gallagher. Fair play to them! Johnny Marr went down really well last year so I wonder if he had a word with Noel about it?

7 hours ago, cwaite123 said:

So Rihanna and Beyonce are in the UK over Glastonbury weekend and have the Sunday free, how convenient for Coldplay. 

Last year Neil said we were getting Coldplay and for a brief moment before The Who were announced there were rumours of some bloody awful supergroup centering around Chris Martin. Could the above be the tip of the iceberg?  Was Neil's info 12 months early ? Does this possibility make sitting on a red hot poker more preferable?  

Answers on a postcard please ;)

That's pretty much been what I have been thinking, that this was the talk (along with the swansong performance) last year but the timing wasn't right in the end and that the band are going to go balls out on one last big tour and media bonanza.

Coldplay's enthusiasm is infectious live.  I thoroughly enjoyed them despite myself when they played last time and wouldn't begrudge them one last night on that stage, as long as they promise it IS the last time.

the "talk" last year was from Michael Eavis saying that the TBA headliner on the poster was 2 bands together and that Chris Martin was "involved". this whole Chris Martin supergroup was just yet another bit of speculation that got out of hand on here based on those comments.

the 2 bands turned out to be The Who and Paul Weller, performing separately.

where Chris Martin fits into it wasn't clear, although given that Michael said it, it's quite possible that Chris Martin was involved with something else entirely, given that it's Michael's words we were going on.

I've invented a hypothetical situation where Rihanna, because she is in the country anyway, doesn't really have a massive ego, and knows the fee difference won't be that much, has agreed to sub one day. Given the Eavis's recent tactic of booking almost headline sized bands and bumping them up when a headliner disappears (Beyonce and Florence), it could work as a back up if their were worried about one of their booked ones (likely Adele if she was umming and ahing) falls through or decides to break something on stage a few weeks before the festival once again. 

I think I am just bored in a low speculation year.

6 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

I've invented a hypothetical situation where Rihanna, because she is in the country anyway, doesn't really have a massive ego, and knows the fee difference won't be that much, has agreed to sub one day. Given the Eavis's recent tactic of booking almost headline sized bands and bumping them up when a headliner disappears (Beyonce and Florence), it could work as a back up if their were worried about one of their booked ones (likely Adele if she was umming and ahing) falls through or decides to break something on stage a few weeks before the festival once again. 

I think I am just bored in a low speculation year.

who dropped out the year Beyoncé headlined?

14 hours ago, jparx said:

Can't believe he's headlining Y Not. I saw Frank Turner play there in a tent that held no more than 50 people and now they've managed to get Noel Gallagher. Fair play to them! Johnny Marr went down really well last year so I wonder if he had a word with Noel about it?

Rather than 'managed to get NG', it might well be that it's all NG can manage to get these days if he only wants to headline. Last album didn't exactly set the world alight, sales about a third of the previous one. 

Some of these UK line-ups are pretty dreadful. Europe ones are pretty strong but do get the feeling the UK festival scene is over saturated, particularly with the similar line up's and nothing to differentiate themselves. Wonder if this is the year that we see a few festivals to go the wall?

1 hour ago, HoTWire said:

Depending on what this forum is running server side .. I'm going ulong.max .... /coderjokes :/

Wow,  18,446,744,073,709,551,615  pages?

Sadly, I think we're going to be capped at a mere 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/670662/whats-the-maximum-size-for-an-int-in-php

3 hours ago, theDandy said:

who dropped out the year Beyoncé headlined?

I believe that EFestivals had information that she was originally booked to sub, so therefore the festival must have had someone else in mind for the main slot. I think the best guess was the Igit Formally Known Now Known Again as Prince? But she was certainly booked lower and bumped (she subbed T in the Park the same year).

Maybe Riri will do the same..