Headliners 2016

thewayiam

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

'Dangerous'

As in, like, you know, actuallyfuckingdangerous. Dun dun dunnnnn.

Edit: Also, using the word 'unarguably' round these parts is completely misguided.

Yes. Actually dangerous. They closed off various entrances to the field for the Stones for safety reasons (because of crowd size), and owing to both the demand for Adele tickets and her general popularity it would not be unreasonable to work on the basis that Adele will attract a similar sized crowd. 

It genuinely astonishes me that people think that Adele could play anywhere other than headline. But then in fairness I would have said that about Muse a couple of weeks ago and I've kind of come round to that idea.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, theouterlimits said:

Yes. Actually dangerous. They closed off various entrances to the field for the Stones for safety reasons (because of crowd size), and owing to both the demand for Adele tickets and her general popularity it would not be unreasonable to work on the basis that Adele will attract a similar sized crowd. 

It genuinely astonishes me that people think that Adele could play anywhere other than headline. But then in fairness I would have said that about Muse a couple of weeks ago and I've kind of come round to that idea.

Wait, you think Adele would attract a similar size crowd as the Rolling Stones? I don't think anyone is arguing she'd be a very popular headliner, but I can't see her attracting north of 100,000 people.

31 minutes ago, theouterlimits said:

Does the time of day impact the crowd management? Surely as long as she's on the pyramid it will be fine, playing any other stage could be "dangerous"

25 minutes ago, jparx said:

Wait, you think Adele would attract a similar size crowd as the Rolling Stones? I don't think anyone is arguing she'd be a very popular headliner, but I can't see her attracting north of 100,000 people.

This; IF she headlines, the site will be split fairly evenly, unlike The Rolling Stones who attracted a disproportionate amount of people (magic night). Personally, Adele would send me to sleep; not what's required from a headliner I reckon zzzzzzzzzz :)

32 minutes ago, jparx said:

Not necessarily. I'm saying that organisers will have to keep in mind that it might very well happen, which is why she wouldn't be put anywhere but headliner.

37 minutes ago, theouterlimits said:

Sorry, but your logic just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

For it to be dangerous, she'd need to attract a noticeably bigger crowd than Lionel Richie drew last year - and bear in mind he got more than 100,000 people or to put it another way, about 60% of the people on site at any given moment. And the field coped comfortably.

So we know that it'd take significantly more than 60% for it to become dangerous. Do you honestly think Adele could manage that?

Bear in mind that we're talking about 8pm, when there's significantly more competition on site - and also that about 10-15% of the people on site will be on shift so are out of the equation.

Obviously there'll be people who want to see Adele. Lots of them. That's not in doubt. But there's also a lot of people who won't bother, almost regardless of what time she's on. There's no chance that Adele at 8pm could become dangerous.

Adele can play any time of they day as long as there's enough big names on elsewhere to draw people away. So you'd need an unusually big sub on the other if she was going to sub the pyramid. Seems a lot of effort to go to instead of just doing the logical thing and having her headline.

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Adele can play any time of they day as long as there's enough big names on elsewhere to draw people away. So you'd need an unusually big sub on the other if she was going to sub the pyramid. Seems a lot of effort to go to instead of just doing the logical thing and having her headline.

Exactly my point, albeit put better than I did.

16 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Say she was for example subbing Friday for instance, there will be a lot of fans within a Disclosure/Bastille crowd we'll go with as that's recently been discussed who won't be bothered about seeing her. They'll want to be getting drunk and jumping about everywhere. If she did Sunday under a header (I don't expect it then you're looking at the kinds into The 1975 or BMTH probably and such like for Saturday, although I don't see a sub and New Order quite doing the job that the others would.

21 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Does the time of day impact the crowd management? Surely as long as she's on the pyramid it will be fine, playing any other stage could be "dangerous"

If they stuck her on Sunday afternoon against no competition, then yes it would get more crowded than headlining.

Personally, I'm not convinced she'll be *that* big of a draw either. I have a feeling that the Venn diagram of Glastonbury's demographic and Adele album buyers isn't all that massive.

Where I can see a problem with Adele being the sub and where danger might come from would be the possible movement after her. With headliners everyone leaves, after the legend slot most of the traffic is away from the stage (the act following usually is not near as big) but if she Subs  depending on who would be following her and possible crossover there could be a massive movement to and from with a major crowd control headache 

15 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

General feeling within our group is that we'd go and see her but wouldn't stay for the whole set... She'd be amazing live no doubt but do I want to watch an entire 2 hour set of ballads on my Glastonbury Saturday? No. 

I think that would be how I would see it too.

14 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Coldplay first song played at half time show today *should* be yellow according to set list leaks, betting still available from various people......odds a bit shit now though as lots of people are jumping on it.

Where's this leak? Can't see em starting with Yellow 

22 minutes ago, sisco said:

Completely the wrong thread I know but if anyone does hear of any Coldplay tickets for the Saturday/Sunday becoming available for Wembley can you give me a shout. Thanks!

Honestly set up some twickets alerts on the website, and get on Twitter and search every day (easiest to meet if you can, if not check their tweet history, if they're reasonably regular and clearly real they probably won't be scamming you from their own Twitter account) and there'll be no problem. 

More will appear in the weeks leading up to the gigs. I do this for most big gigs now, rarely order at the time 

Edited by efcfanwirral

57 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Where's this leak? Can't see em starting with Yellow 

Think it came from people watching the sound checks and rehearsals, they should walk on playing Yellow and then I win £75, if they dont then they arent playing the same order they practiced in and I lose :(

59 minutes ago, sisco said:

Completely the wrong thread I know but if anyone does hear of any Coldplay tickets for the Saturday/Sunday becoming available for Wembley can you give me a shout. Thanks!

Theres a facebook group for buying and selling at face value, cant remember the name now but I posted it earlier in this thread....

5 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Think it came from people watching the sound checks and rehearsals, they should walk on playing Yellow and then I win £75, if they dont then they arent playing the same order they practiced in and I lose :(

Where would one bet on stuff like this?