• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

I don't understand why you are bothered how many hits he has had that don't feature someone else.

You have to think of the average age at Glasto these days. I guarantee Kanye will not only pull one of the biggest crowds of the festival, but he will also be one of the best 'alternative' headliners ever.

I remain convinced he will play a combo of old and new stuff and wont bother doing his rant like he did at Wireless or wherever it was, because he knows the crowd he's performing to.

Kanye will rant, probably after playing Runaway. He'll be on live TV, huge viewing audence, he's not an idiot, his hype and media clamour doesn't come from his music, it comes from being controversial and outspoken.

Kanye will rant, probably after playing Runaway. He'll be on live TV, huge viewing audence, he's not an idiot, his hype and media clamour doesn't come from his music, it comes from being controversial and outspoken.

Jim. when he doesn't rant, will you buy me a brothers?

people said the same about Jay Z though, and he was complete shit.

He came on singing Wonderwall and went into his most popular song remixed with AC/DC. Jay-Z knew the crowd he was performing to, and he'll almost certainly tell Kanye to put on a show. (I even watched a Kanye festival show on youtube where he said "I'd talk a bit longer but I made a promise to Jay"). If you like his songs it'll be a good one.

he'll clear half the field at Glastonbury if he does that, just as he did at Big Chill.

It's one thing to subject your own audience to it, but it's another thing entirely when many won't be huge fans.

Stronger

All of the Lights

Can't Tell Me Nothing

Gold Digger

Touch the Sky

Jesus Walks

Good Life

All Falls Down

Runaway

Niggas in Paris

Run This Town

Heartless

All Day

Through the Wire

Love Lockdown

FourFive Seconds

Only One

Power

Bound 2

Homecoming

There's 20 for you...

Maybe, I have no idea bar the few I know of. When I say mainstream hits, I mean a field full of non Kanye specific fans who will/should be at the Pyramid Stage, and the BBC audiences watching on the TV. You still stand by that 20?

Glastonbury don't care if the acts they've booked do other shows.

Other promoters do - some more than others. Melvin Benn, for example, who runs Reading/Leeds and Latitude is rather obsessed with getting exclusives for the top of his bills, and an example of this in action was a few years ago when Flo was 2nd from top at Reading/Leeds and Bestival headliner; Bestival weren't allowed to announce her until May.

While I don't know all of the contractual details with that, I suspect she'd signed to play only R/L on an exclusive basis that year then then Bestival came along trying to book her too. So Flo's management would have then talked to R/L to ask if it could be done and what restrictions R/L might apply, and they agreed she could do Bestival but it couldn't be announced until May.

It's all about Melvin wanting to protect his investment in the bands he's booked for R/L. If R/L didn't sell enough tickets because he'd let 'his' bands play somewhere else, he's in the shit. I might not like that sort of thing very much, but I am able to appreciate how it makes perfect sense from a financial angle.

So it's Metallica then?

Stronger

All of the Lights - RIHANNA

Can't Tell Me Nothing

Gold Digger - JAMIE FOXX

Touch the Sky

Jesus Walks

Good Life - T-PAIN

All Falls Down - SYLEENA JOHNSON

Runaway - PUSHA T

Niggas in Paris - JAY Z

Run This Town - JAYZ FT Kanye & RIHANNA

Heartless

All Day - PAUL MCCARTNEY ETC

Through the Wire

Love Lockdown

FourFive Seconds - RIHANNA _ PAUL MCCARTNEY

Only One - PAUL MCCARTNEY

Power

Bound 2

Homecoming - CHRIS MARTIN

There's 20 for you...

SO big screens with Music Videos for half the songs ?

It's acceptable for an act to use a stand in for when the featured artist is unavalble, mainly because it's one track. But for at least half your set. That shit don't wash with me.

It's acceptable for an act to use a stand in for when the featured artist is unavalble, mainly because it's one track. But for at least half your set. That shit don't wash with me.

Most urban artists do that though. Eminem, Rihanna, etc. when they play live. It doesn't really detract from the performance. The chorus blares out over the speakers, then they go back to rapping over it. Not really an issue.

EDIT: I mean look at dance acts. They basically just press play!

Edited by Icewulf

That is just standard for that genre of music. Your point is basically that you don't want to see Hip-Hop live but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a Hip-Hop headliner as many people love it. And once you have decided to have a Hip-Hop headliner of Glastonbury Kanye is the one you would pick, or possibly Eminiem.

Same! they were fantastic!

Same with our group, 7 or 8 were "non fans" before and could barely name a song. But anyone who had seen them before knew they'd nail it.

Kanye is different though. Hes capable of coming out with any old shite. And some Louis Vuitton auto tune rant will clear the field, as Neil said.

And I really hope that happens!

Edited by The Nal