Will They Show The Football?

Gnomicide

32 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

With all due respect, you must be an extremely casual fan if that was the case.

Not at all, but you have to make choices. I had no chance of a final ticket and already had one for the festival.

I could have left the festival, got a taxi to a pub, probably be surrounded by people who want them to lose, (as it turned out) watch them lose, get a taxi back.

Or, I could keep tabs on the score while watching Robert Plant.

Maybe it comes from supporting a team that frequently reached European finals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

They used two fields in 2010, one of which is now (I think) Dairy Ground and the one I went to which is now part of Campervan East.

Love Fields, rather than Campervan East. But yeah, point is valid that they'd now struggle to find suitable space even if they thought it was a good idea.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Love Fields, rather than Campervan East. But yeah, point is valid that they'd now struggle to find suitable space even if they thought it was a good idea.

Having just looked at the map, Yep, you're right! 🙂

I could understand desire to watch it if it was a final but at the stage the Euros are at either they'll lose and it'll be a downer for your festival or they'll win and you'll get the chance to see the next game.

On a personal note I would say that any football taking place in core festival hours (Fri to Sun 11.00-00.00) doesn't interest me at all.

That said I do still have very fond memories of watching England v Portugal in a packed Pyramid field on the Thursday of 2004.

Crowd glastonbury 2004 watching england hi-res stock photography and images  - Alamy

6 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

If it comes to it I will just watch it in one of the bars or on my phone (if it works)

I'm out in Germany for a week just before I go to Glastonbury, got 6 games in 7 days including England v Serbia, but I can understand why they have chosen this stance.

In 1998 England's group game v Colombia was shown and that meant a very low crowd for the Foo Fighters, similarly in my time of going in 2004 the Q Final v Portugal and in 2010 the final group stage game v Slovenia were both shown which didn't clash with music as they were on Thurs and Weds respectively.

Then the 2010 disaster v Germany was shown on the Sunday afternoon and that pulled big crowds of people away from Ray Davies and Slash, and in turn meant large areas of the site had to be kept clear to accom the football.

I'm sure if the games were on the Weds or Thurs they would show it, but I can see why they won't do it during 'prime' festival time.

Missing Slash for that football shite is one of my biggest Glasto regrets.

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

On a personal note I would say that any football taking place in core festival hours (Fri to Sun 11.00-00.00) doesn't interest me at all.

That said I do still have very fond memories of watching England v Portugal in a packed Pyramid field on the Thursday of 2004.

Crowd glastonbury 2004 watching england hi-res stock photography and images  - Alamy

I am in that crowd, somewhere.

Just now, Punksnotdead said:

Anyone talking about a football result "ruining" their festival needs to give their head a wobble! If we can survive the Brexit result & still have a great time, what's a game of football?

yeah absolutely ... just move on its a pretty damn great place to forget whats gone before 

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Anyone talking about a football result "ruining" their festival needs to give their head a wobble! If we can survive the Brexit result & still have a great time, what's a game of football?

I read through the thread again, I don't think anyone has actually said that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I read through the thread again, I don't think anyone has actually said that?

You, yourself said you "felt so low" after an England match - or have you forgotten what you posted already? A couple of others said similar things. 

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

You, yourself said you "felt so low" after an England match - or have you forgotten what you posted already? A couple of others said similar things. 

Hmm, perhaps there is a difference between what I said, "I felt so low afterwards", and your categorisation of, "ruining their festival", no?

1994 world cup, found one small bar that had a normal TV to watch the Ireland Mexico game, quite a crowd in watching, a lot far from TV

Team in green scores, loads of cheering, someone at the front turns around and shouts IRELAND ARE IN WHITE 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, mph said:

1994 world cup, found one small bar that had a normal TV to watch the Ireland Mexico game, quite a crowd in watching, a lot far from TV

Team in green scores, loads of cheering, someone at the front turns around and shouts IRELAND ARE IN WHITE 

That bar was probably  The World Cup Bar, run by Roy, Aka Weird Beard, and was a precursor to Lost Vagueness. 

I don't remember that much about it except that on the bar he had made one of the games which had a bent piece of wire and you have to move a loop of wire along it without the loop touching it or it would set a loud buzzer off. 

AIMG_9250.jpeg

18 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

That Portugal defeat was the Thursday and it was forgotten by later that evening.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:52 AM, Gnomicide said:

the reason they said they showed it in previous years was to stop loads of people leaving site and maybe causing an issue in a local town.

On 5/3/2024 at 4:47 PM, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Missing Slash for that football shite is one of my biggest Glasto regrets.

I second (made) this mistake and also the possibility or Dr John 🥴

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Neil said:

the reason they said they showed it in previous years was to stop loads of people leaving site and maybe causing an issue in a local town.

That makes a lot of sense. I guess it's a none issue nowadays with really good connectivity on site, and streaming services being available... Plus I'm guessing many with campers / motorhomes have 12v TVs. 

If anybody, for some reason, would rather watch than enjoy the festival, no need to leave the site these days.   

57 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

That makes a lot of sense. I guess it's a none issue nowadays with really good connectivity on site, and streaming services being available... Plus I'm guessing many with campers / motorhomes have 12v TVs. 

If anybody, for some reason, would rather watch than enjoy the festival, no need to leave the site these days.   

Can’t you let people be? No real need to add ‘for some reason rather than enjoy the festival’. It’s perfectly reasonable for people to get enjoyment from multiple sources and if someone loves Glastonbury and football then that’s okay. 

I don’t like football but I wouldn’t be negative towards those that do, and it’s fine if they show it and fine if they don’t. 

• Like 2

It is gonna be a tricky one for me, i'm determined to not let the football affect my Sunday at Glastonbury, but I have already gambled on tickets and travel for the QF in Dusseldorf the Saturday after, obviously dependant on England winning the group, and the R16 that Sunday afternoon. 

Theory is not to watch the game, have a great party at James or Baxter Dury etc, and hope to find out that England have won.

I'm hoping that's how it plays out anyway.

51 minutes ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

So what if thousands of people try to get to the local pub to watch it .... It could cause absolute carnage in the village 

Would many people *really* be that stupid? The most local pubs won't be showing it at all so they'd either be wasting a trip or having to drive further afield (even ignoring that pubs showing it may be ticketed, or locals only, or simply full). Surely most people leaving site would have a firm plan, as without one they're probably not going to see anything.

If someone is really that desperate to see a game, and doesn't want to rely on mobile data, then it's really not that difficult. Bring a battery operated TV and sit up on the hill for a couple hours to watch it - Can get a cheap one for about a hundred quid, with the Mendip TV transmitter being less than 10 miles away and literally visible from the hill so the reception should be perfect even with the crappiest mini-aerial.

3 hours ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

So what if thousands of people try to get to the local pub to watch it .... It could cause absolute carnage in the village 

Would that many people go through the upheaval of leaving site for a footy game? I think the Glasto crowd would prefer to be in Glasto tbh.