Secret Sets 2024!

Billy Shears

Churnups was good. Would have never seen them in a 'native' slot for them but was a no-brainer against not very much else.

My personal perspective is I'd rather the slot remained a scheduler's tool in their toolkit to surprise and enthral rather than something that was a priced in aspect of the festival along with the Legend and Headliner. It's already a wonderful and varied programme and I'm not sure another appointment slot is really needed.

From the festival's perspective, it's probably the other way around if they want to continue to book the biggest acts and create the most hype and anticipation around the event. In addition to that, it provides them an additional lever to book acts that they couldn't otherwise and circumvent commercial constraints that they may be subject to.

For that reason, I'd bet on it to remain, if there is an act out there willing to do the slot. The other reason I'd bet on it is that the purported Friday acts for positions 2 and 3 look on the weak side from a popularity perspective even if they are highly critically acclaimed acts with a cult following.

So here's my plucked out of nowhere shout. Beyonce doing a Cowboy Carter set.

Edited by Nduja

On 4/11/2024 at 7:01 PM, fullfathom5 said:

Need Blur to realise they shouldn't end the tour at Coachella and do a quick Churnup at Glasto.

I reckon they might after it sounds like a disappointing night for them at 'Chella

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Talcroft said:

I reckon they might after it sounds like a disappointing night for them at 'Chella

Absolutely ridiculous idea to end it there, huge % of attendees  aren’t interested in music , just what they look like on Instagram and how many likes they can get - complete sell out by Damon & Co IMO 

Surely one of the greatest British Bands should end it at the Greatest British Festival 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Traci said:

Absolutely ridiculous idea to end it there, huge % of attendees  aren’t interested in music , just what they look like on Instagram and how many likes they can get - complete sell out by Damon & Co IMO 

Surely one of the greatest British Bands should end it at the Greatest British Festival 

I love going to festivals big and small I try to get to one new one ever year! The list of ones I want to check out is endless. 

Cochella does not make the list sounds absolutely shite

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Talcroft said:

If they were going to end it, that would have already been decided.

It won't make a difference.

If they were doing glasto it would already be agreed

On 4/15/2024 at 11:14 PM, Traci said:

Very. Well. Said. 

ready for the singalong 👍

On 4/9/2024 at 7:56 PM, Scrump said:

This doesn't seem to be the consensus here but... I really hope the whole churnups thing doesn't become standard. I find it weird to expect a surprise.

Not a huge fan of there almost having to be secret sets as well. 

I know I sound like a right grumble guts !

Grumble Guts on Woodsies, early evening, pseudonym for Nick Cave...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's a question. Has there ever been a secret set by a band who hasn't played the festival before?
Notable ones I can think of had all played before: Pulp, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, The Killers, Foals, Jack White, Elbow, Hozier, George Ezra

• Like 1