Faithless

westholtschic

31 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Getting WiFi coverage for the pyramid field for something like that would be easy (source: I do this as part of my job)

WiFi doesn't mean internet.

If this was to be a thing, i'd get an app that just does streaming from some beefy servers located on site, which only works when connected to the temp wifi. No outside internet available on the WiFi, just the streaming server / website.

spin up lyrics for the big screens, party time 🙂

Clearly those things cost money (I've had many times I've paid for beefy servers and infrastructure). 

24 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Clearly those things cost money (I've had many times I've paid for beefy servers and infrastructure). 

Yeah.  But that would be f**king mint!  Tens of thousands of us dancing in the Pyramid and singing along with headphones on.  That's the kind of lunacy I live for.

57 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Getting WiFi coverage for the pyramid field for something like that would be easy (source: I do this as part of my job)

WiFi coverage across the geographic extents of the field? Yes, very easy.

Scaling it to be capable of dealing with potentially 20,000+ connected devices each of them simultaneously streaming live music (even if just locally) into densely packed crowds? Not so easy to maintain sufficient performance levels, and would get very expensive very quickly.

(source: While I'm thankfully not involved in the project we're wrestling with that exact problem at work)

2 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Yeah.  But that would be f**king mint!  Tens of thousands of us dancing in the Pyramid and singing along with headphones on.  That's the kind of lunacy I live for.

Would imagine that a fair number of Bluetooth speakers would suddenly appear - enough that you probably wouldn't need headphones.

Just now, danbailey80 said:

Reading and Leeds must be thinking this exact thing as there is no way they be handing out 60,000 headphones surely. 

https://www.readingfestival.com/news/the-worlds-biggest-silent-disco-with-sigma/

That was for last year, so presumably by now someone knows what mechanisms they used.

Is anyone brave enough to venture into the R+L section?

Does anyone else get the feeling Glasto need some new blood with new ideas (to work alongside the old). Why is it taking a forum/ social media to likely be moving the Faithless venue/ night? Likewise have they really thought about all the possible ideas for spreading the crowds on a Thursday? It's been going on for about 6 years. I appreciate you don't want to change a good thing.

Edited by danbailey80

6 minutes ago, incident said:

That was for last year, so presumably by now someone knows what mechanisms they used.

Is anyone brave enough to venture into the R+L section?

Its a shame most (ones that i've owned anyway, just android*) phones dont let the built in radio work unless headphones are connected, otherwise, a little 'Pyramid FM' station would be super easy 🙂 

*do modern non-headphone jack Apple devices have FM Radio built in?

1 minute ago, paulshane said:

Its a shame most (ones that i've owned anyway, just android*) phones dont let the built in radio work unless headphones are connected, otherwise, a little 'Pyramid FM' station would be super easy 🙂 

*do modern non-headphone jack Apple devices have FM Radio built in?

I don't think any Apple devices have ever had an FM Radio receiver, that's far too useful a feature for them to consider.

Tbh at this point probably less than a third of of Android devices still have it, and that number isn't going up.

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

Does anyone else get the feeling Glasto need some new blood with new ideas (to work alongside the old). Why is it taking a forum/ social media to likely be moving the Faithless venue/ night? Likewise have they really thought about all the possible ideas for spreading the crowds on a Thursday? It's been going on for about 6 years. I appreciate you don't want to change a good thing.

As shared yesterday by @parsonjack and @incidentthey're distinctly limited in what they're permitted to do within the terms of the licence. 

4 hours ago, bobsacamano said:

Rumours abound it's actually going to be Pyramid

Is there any rules that say the headline act must be on late at night?

Maybe they’ve got a special dispensation to have a couple of acts on the Pyramid to draw the crowds in from other packed areas but make sure they turn it off at maybe 9pm to keep the locals happy with their mugs of cocoa and slippers. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Maybe they’ve got a special dispensation to have a couple of acts on the Pyramid to draw the crowds in from other packed areas but make sure they turn it off at maybe 9pm to keep the locals happy with their mugs of cocoa and slippers. 

I was thinking just this

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not according to the Glade area socials yesterday

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Might stop the locals complaining they can't get no sleep.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I'm reasonably confident that the locals would have been consulted on that - So either they're willing to keep the surprise intact or nothing has been said locally.

I know that the council did give permission for The Park last year, but obviously 30 minutes for Michael Eavis to do his party piece on a mid sized stage located at the far end of site and facing away from the village is a whole different ball game to blasting out Faithless from the largest stage on site close to and facing (kinda) towards the village.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm reasonably confident that the locals would have been consulted on that - So either they're willing to keep the surprise intact or nothing has been said locally.

I know that the council did give permission for The Park last year, but obviously 30 minutes for Michael Eavis to do his party piece on a mid sized stage located at the far end of site and facing away from the village is a whole different ball game to blasting out Faithless from the largest stage on site close to and facing (kinda) towards the village.

If not the Glade then maybe The Park then as last year showed it can be done........................... IT will proably be The Glade though and if too pack will not be fun at all

18 hours ago, -TLR- said:

yup - it used to be that wednesday was lovely and quiet and nobody expected anything except to chill.

i'm not saying that in a gatekeeping "the festival was better..." kind of way, but now it feels like 99.9% of the festival has arrived on wednesday it needs a rethink.

maybe time to actually take a day off the festival? open on thursday instead.

18 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Going from your sig  you've got a decade of going prior to me so will have noticed it even more!

From when I started going I've always gone on the Weds, although the arrival time seems get earlier each year! 2009/2010 it started to get really busy on the Weds and has steadily got worse since.

Tbh I don't mind chilling at hte campsite etc etc but for a lot of people they want something to do.

I would suggest the festival either start spelling out that there's not much to do, put more on or as you suggest open to  the public thurs AM rather than Weds AM.

To me you can't really have 100k people milling around scrabbling over Sister Bliss on at the Glade or whatever for their main nights entertainment. 

This is new levels of lunacy people, seriously suggesting that we cut a day off the festival.

Surely, we're all here because it's the greatest place to be for five days? I'm baffled that people would suggest losing a day, what has the world come to?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Simon247 said:

This is new levels of lunacy people, seriously suggesting that we cut a day off the festival.

Surely, we're all here because it's the greatest place to be for five days? I'm baffled that people would suggest losing a day, what has the world come to?

Madness. Ignore it. 

8 hours ago, Simon247 said:

I think there’s a new generation of attendees coming through who want things to do on those days and not just sit about in campsites/lying on the floor in the SC

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I think there’s a new generation of attendees coming through who want things to do on those days and not just sit about in campsites/lying on the floor in the SC

Would say im part of this 'new generation' youre talking about being 22. Im lucky enough to say this will be my 6th Glasto and honestly there doesn't ever need to be anything going on that special on either of the first two days. Just being there, walking around, eating some good food and soaking in all the excitement is well enough. Love the arcadia bug that rolls about though. I love all the stuff they do put on on thursdays but its not needed. Id way rather have nothing on weds and thurs than just taking a day off the time you can wonder those fields.

On 3/15/2024 at 2:42 PM, danbailey80 said:

Why is it taking a forum/ social media to likely be moving the Faithless venue/ night?

Faithless is just the name Sister Bliss Djs under these days. She’s fine but doesn’t warrant anything bigger than the Glade.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Faithless is just the name Sister Bliss Djs under these days. She’s fine but doesn’t warrant anything bigger than the Glade.

That's not true this year. It's full band with TBC guests on vocals.