Faithless

westholtschic

Slightly off point ...but..... the thing is now, people turn up expecting a 5 day party except the licence only has main stages for 3 days on the Fri-Sun.

The site is much more busier on those first two days than when I started going 20 years ago and they really need to provide more adequate entertainment as its clear that what they currently offer doesn't spread the crowds out enough.

17 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Slightly off point ...but..... the thing is now, people turn up expecting a 5 day party except the licence only has main stages for 3 days on the Fri-Sun.

The site is much more busier on those first two days than when I started going 20 years ago and they really need to provide more adequate entertainment as its clear that what they currently offer doesn't spread the crowds out enough.

yup - it used to be that wednesday was lovely and quiet and nobody expected anything except to chill.

i'm not saying that in a gatekeeping "the festival was better..." kind of way, but now it feels like 99.9% of the festival has arrived on wednesday it needs a rethink.

maybe time to actually take a day off the festival? open on thursday instead.

39 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

yup - it used to be that wednesday was lovely and quiet and nobody expected anything except to chill.

i'm not saying that in a gatekeeping "the festival was better..." kind of way, but now it feels like 99.9% of the festival has arrived on wednesday it needs a rethink.

maybe time to actually take a day off the festival? open on thursday instead.

Going from your sig  you've got a decade of going prior to me so will have noticed it even more!

From when I started going I've always gone on the Weds, although the arrival time seems get earlier each year! 2009/2010 it started to get really busy on the Weds and has steadily got worse since.

Tbh I don't mind chilling at hte campsite etc etc but for a lot of people they want something to do.

I would suggest the festival either start spelling out that there's not much to do, put more on or as you suggest open to  the public thurs AM rather than Weds AM.

To me you can't really have 100k people milling around scrabbling over Sister Bliss on at the Glade or whatever for their main nights entertainment. 

Based on how horrendously busy and potentially unsafe Thursday was last year, I can only assume they would do this if there are some other significant offerings on to split the crowds. I heard Williams Green and other stages were cut last year due to the predicted energy costs (which I don't think ended up being as bad as expected) - so hopefully they will add some back this year. 

2 hours ago, briddj said:

Got to Example an hour before last year and there was loads of space at the time. We'll plan to repeat that. 

We arrived about 35 minutes before from the direction of The Other stage and the entire crossroads and half of the "old" Glade was gridlocked.  Sacked it off.

When the said "Thurs Headliner" my mind immediately went to "Where's big enough/allowed to be open on Thurs?" and the obvious answer to me was IICON, assuming they've finished the build and soundchecks.  Easier to manage the overcrowding too and wouldn't clog any major walkways.

25 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

When the said "Thurs Headliner" my mind immediately went to "Where's big enough/allowed to be open on Thurs?" and the obvious answer to me was IICON, assuming they've finished the build and soundchecks.  Easier to manage the overcrowding too and wouldn't clog any major walkways.

thing is, nothing in that corner has ever finished being built at that point.

of course, that doesn't therefore mean that they couldn't do so in the future - and IICON in particular would be a good choice what with being a wide open space.

i just can't see it being built in time!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

Glade appear to have removed the posts from their socials..

Yeah looks like someone jumped the gun. Glad as I could have been roped into working that madness.

Rumours abound it's actually going to be Pyramid.

Years ago they had the footy on the main stage on the Wednesday, they must have got special clearance for that, maybe the powers at be have knocked there heads together and come up with the sensible idea of having a "lesser" headliner on the Pyramid to soak up the crowds.

From a H&S perspective it's the most logical solution to the Thursday crushes issue, and they have become a H&S issue.

2 minutes ago, bobsacamano said:

Yeah looks like someone jumped the gun. Glad as I could have been roped into working that madness.

Rumours abound it's actually going to be Pyramid.

Years ago they had the footy on the main stage on the Wednesday, they must have got special clearance for that, maybe the powers at be have knocked there heads together and come up with the sensible idea of having a "lesser" headliner on the Pyramid to soak up the crowds.

From a H&S perspective it's the most logical solution to the Thursday crushes issue, and they have become a H&S issue.

I've always thought a solution to Thursday crushes is to get a spoken word licence and get comedians on Pyramid interspersed with some talks/ speakers. Big names with egos like Richey Gervais would do it I'm sure. 

this is assuming spoken word is easier to get though and I'm not sure if this is the case. 

Edited by danbailey80
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I've always thought a solution to Thursday crushes is to get a spoken word licence and get comedians on Pyramid interspersed with some talks/ speakers. Big names with egos like Richey Gervais would do it I'm sure. 

this is assuming spoken word is easier to get though and I'm not sure if this is the case. 

No idea on the licence side but this would be great.  They could potentially throw a few musical comedians in the afternoon as well

12 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

It probably would be easier.

As far as the licence is concerned, by far the main obstacle to running biggest stages on Thursday is the sound generated. If something spoken word didn't raise the off-site volume levels it might get through (you'd still get objections as locals would see it as the thin end of the wedge).

1 hour ago, tomf3 said:

Based on how horrendously busy and potentially unsafe Thursday was last year, I can only assume they would do this if there are some other significant offerings on to split the crowds. I heard Williams Green and other stages were cut last year due to the predicted energy costs (which I don't think ended up being as bad as expected) - so hopefully they will add some back this year. 

Carhenge stage?

13 minutes ago, watsonjm said:

No idea on the licence side but this would be great.  They could potentially throw a few musical comedians in the afternoon as well

Yeah you could have a mix of stuff, maybe some Cirque de Soleil type performances as well. A big mad variety type show going on from 6pm to midnight. 

12 hours ago, incident said:

Couple things I should clarify as that picture is taken out of context.

The note on some of the Wednesday venues basically amounts to a limit on how much sound they're allowed to output (200W, though not being an audio guy that means nothing to me)

For the Soundchecks on the Group A and B stages, there's some further limits - no more than 1 stage at a time, no more than 2 hours max per stage. And before someone suggests it - at least once West Holts (probably still JazzWorld at that point) took the piss by putting on a live band on for their Thursday Soundcheck. I think probably more than once - I saw Lamb do it in 2009. As a result the Festival was told off, and so it's not going to happen again.

I think that for Group F (the SE Corner), it's representing the Thursday slightly incorrectly or misleadingly. It's showing the hours for "full power" soundchecks, but doesn't make it clear that they're also allowed to go beyond that at reduced output (as on Wednesday).

Yes. I saw Ozomatli in 03 on the Thursday night there

22 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Just need a massive silent disco on pyramid … problem solved 🙂 

I've thought about this. Obs the issues is all the headphones. So a solution is everyone streams using glasto app/ something simple to download and then use their own headphones.

Or offer both. Say there are limited number of headphones but otherwise use the app. 

Just now, danbailey80 said:

I've thought about this. Obs the issues is all the headphones. So a solution is everyone streams using glasto app/ something simple to download and then use their own headphones.

Or offer both. Say there are limited number of headphones but otherwise use the app. 

Has been discussed on our watts app with similar suggested . 

41 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Too much latency, literally all dancing to a different beat...or none in some cases. 

Unless they created a capacious WiFi cell, which would cost and others would try to misuse. 

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Too much latency, literally all dancing to a different beat...or none in some cases. 

Unless they created a capacious WiFi cell, which would cost and others would try to misuse. 

Getting WiFi coverage for the pyramid field for something like that would be easy (source: I do this as part of my job)

WiFi doesn't mean internet.

If this was to be a thing, i'd get an app that just does streaming from some beefy servers located on site, which only works when connected to the temp wifi. No outside internet available on the WiFi, just the streaming server / website.

spin up lyrics for the big screens, party time 🙂