Overcrowding candidates/ acts booked too low

kemosabe

English is my second language and even after 11 years of living in the uk I sometimes I slip trying to express something, sorry. 

I see it's a bit like Folamour: recorded videos of his sets showing summery parties that makes them suddenly very popular. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Risingson2 said:

English is my second language and even after 11 years of living in the uk I sometimes I slip trying to express something, sorry. 

No need to be sorry, you do a great job, better than most of us 😊

2 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

In fairness i'll be in the small crowd at Janelle -  she's a draw in my eyes  

Janelle is the act I'm looking forward to most.... she slayed West Holts when she closed it in '19; it was madness!!! Her set on WH in '11 was what got me interested in her. She will be fantastic on the Pyramid and clearly loves being at the festival.

See you there!

On 3/18/2024 at 12:49 PM, Risingson2 said:

Hold on, since when Barry Can't Swim is not just popular, but more popular than Dj Spen and with your suspicions of going to be hell? I recall his very cute "Lone Raver" because I used to check everything released by Shall Not Fade, and I recall him playing in NTs Loft a few times (which is a 200-300 people place). Has he appeared on tiktoks or on tv series or anything to deserve this fame?

On the topic, I repeat that last year Thursday was hell for me until I got in one of the enclosed spaces in Shangri La. It is not that there is too many people everywhere (there is quite a lot of people) but that people block the entrances/exits. That happened in Silver Hayes, in Shangri La, everywhere, so you can find folks here saying "I was in Skindred, it was fine" because they were close to the stage and, I guess, they never needed to go to the loo or to get a drink. Because I was there, next to the fake petrol station, and it was scary. 

Needing to wee anytime while it's busy on Shangri La... is not the best experience. 

On the Faithless thing, first live ever on Thursday? The Orb did that. Well, they did a hybrid, mixing up recorded tracks with live playing. That insanely long version they dropped of "Little Fluffy Clouds" that expanded and mutated and expanded again was 100% a live thing. 

Was the Orb 2017? I was at that, and had a great time

In 2017 I went to Metronomy at Woodsies instead of Justice at WH.  Metronomy filled the tent, just.  They were just OK.  (London Grammar subbed them and seemed to have had a bigger crowd.  But that was 2017 - London Grammar will struggle at the Park.)

I'm generally unclear on what sort of regard Justice are held in.  Are they seen as a poor man's Daft Punk?  I last saw them in 2013 and had a great laugh but I wasn't sure if it was just silly fun with monstrous lights.  There was that photo that did the rounds of them "DJing" without the decks properly plugged in...

What sort of crowd did Calvin Harris end up pulling, out of interest.

Dua will justify her top billing.

1 minute ago, Johndenis said:

In 2017 I went to Metronomy at Woodsies instead of Justice at WH.  Metronomy filled the tent, just.  They were just OK.  (London Grammar subbed them and seemed to have had a bigger crowd.  But that was 2017 - London Grammar will struggle at the Park.)

I'm generally unclear on what sort of regard Justice are held in.  Are they seen as a poor man's Daft Punk?  I last saw them in 2013 and had a great laugh but I wasn't sure if it was just silly fun with monstrous lights.  There was that photo that did the rounds of them "DJing" without the decks properly plugged in...

All I know is posters on this forum have sold them to me as my 3rd headliner 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Johndenis said:

Calvin Harris was absolutely packed

Justice are very acclaimed - maybe a poor man's daft punk to someone unfamiliar because they are both french but they VERY much stand on their own two feet!

On 3/14/2024 at 10:29 AM, BigMarv said:

One of only two times in 20 years of going that I thought this is a bit dangerous. The other being Example last year.

Same - TLC was horrible. Only other time i remember it was the crush leaving Bjork years ago from the Other stage.

On 3/19/2024 at 2:52 PM, Johndenis said:

I find the hype for Justice really intriguing because I've seen them once live in Bristol and me and a friend came away really disappointed as it really felt like there was zero actual 'live' element - you could have pressed play on their album and the gig would have almost been the same. They'd attracted a weirdly twattish crowd too.

I'm assuming that's not always the case given the breathless reports of their last Glastonbury appearance - and I'd be excited to see what an actual live Justice show can be.

33 minutes ago, mouserat said:

I find the hype for Justice really intriguing because I've seen them once live in Bristol and me and a friend came away really disappointed as it really felt like there was zero actual 'live' element - you could have pressed play on their album and the gig would have almost been the same. They'd attracted a weirdly twattish crowd too.

I'm assuming that's not always the case given the breathless reports of their last Glastonbury appearance - and I'd be excited to see what an actual live Justice show can be.

I think that Justice set was an example of perfect place and time. Closing West Holts in the year when the sound quality for that stage went stratospheric (still my favourite of the main stages by far, when they get it spot on), everyone was rejuvenated at the end of five days and nights full gas, with a euphoric dance set. The, mostly white, light show was spectacular (only bettered for me by Bicep in 2022) and everyone was totally up for it. How much of any live dance set like this is genuinely being played/manipulated live by the artists is open to debate, but it was amazing. 

I may well go and see them again this year, but I'm slightly put off by the idea of trying to recreate something that we've already had 'exactly the same' - same day, stage and slot - not that many years ago. However, looking at my Sunday headliner options (in fact, all my headliner options for Fri-Sun 😄), I will more than likely be with a gang of friends dancing to Justice. Will be very interested to see what the new record is like in a couple of weeks.

Ben

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I may well go and see them again this year, but I'm slightly put off by the idea of trying to recreate something that we've already had 'exactly the same' - same day, stage and slot - not that many years ago. However, looking at my Sunday headliner options (in fact, all my headliner options for Fri-Sun 😄), I will more than likely be with a gang of friends dancing to Justice. Will be very interested to see what the new record is like in a couple of weeks.

Ben

Same predicament here. That Sunday night closing set was absolutely brilliant but it does feel like trying to recreate a previous good time.

For me it will probably depend on whether Orbital are on at the Park on the Saturday or Sunday as do want to see them, also on where my mates want to be

Was the quality of the sound in 2017 technical, atmospheric or a heavenly concoction of both? Amongst the purist, juiciest sounding live shows ive experienced anywhere. Cant just have been the PA.

4 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I will more than likely be with a gang of friends dancing to Justice. Will be very interested to see what the new record is like in a couple of weeks.

Ben

I might come along.

Gnom

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think that Justice set was an example of perfect place and time. Closing West Holts in the year when the sound quality for that stage went stratospheric (still my favourite of the main stages by far, when they get it spot on), everyone was rejuvenated at the end of five days and nights full gas, with a euphoric dance set. The, mostly white, light show was spectacular (only bettered for me by Bicep in 2022) and everyone was totally up for it. How much of any live dance set like this is genuinely being played/manipulated live by the artists is open to debate, but it was amazing. 

Ben

It was an absolute ripsnorter. As was Coldplay in 2016. I'm hav8ng second thoughts about both, even though I know they will both be great.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Was the quality of the sound in 2017 technical, atmospheric or a heavenly concoction of both? Amongst the purist, juiciest sounding live shows ive experienced anywhere. Cant just have been the PA.

Yep. Full on. Magic. Like Cure in 2019. 

I think it's a combination of great sound crew and luck. 

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Oh I dunno...I feel they nailed it in 2016 for James Blake on the Saturday night. Spine-tingling clarity and wonderful balance. I wasn't even a particular fan, but that set, projected in that audio quality blew me away. See also: Bicep 2022. Yet another crystal-clear production from the Holts' sound engineers. 

Ben