Glastonbury lineup poster 2024

Crazyfool01

20 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I think it’s far less Emily’s fault and more a combination of the hardships brought on by COVID, Brexit, it being a sh*t touring year for acts, and the fact Glastonbury has pretty much exhausted the well of ginormous name acts willing to play for less than they’d get elsewhere and so they’re having to go back to old familiar names.

The scheduling this year is pretty janky and makes the lineup look worse than if we’d have gotten a traditional first poster imo, but given we know the struggles they had behind the scenes securing the third headliner etc I’m not surprised some of it looks a bit iffy.

Hopefully this is just an adjustment period and not a sign of the struggles the festival is gonna face going forward, but I do think the mega star studded lineups of the last fifteen years might be a thing of the past, or at least to that same insane standard. 

I guess we need more data to truly know. 2025 will give us more an indication as to whether they're able to land a supposed bigger fish or if it'll be closer to this one, and give us an indication as to whether this is just a fallow year for big names or a sign that bigger names are just prioritising their own arena/stadium stuff.

I agree with others tbf - I think the Pyramid is not that impressive but obviously the difficult in booking a Sunday headliner didn't help, plus there are plenty of acts I'd see on other stages. If I had tickets, I'd still be content to commit.

Too soon to start writing the obituaries imho.  They obviously had the ambition and wherewithal to try to land Madonna. That it didn't work out - for Glastonbury or anyone else for that matter - isn't really their fault.

If 2025 represents a further downward slide then we'll see.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

I guess we need more data to truly know. 2025 will give us more an indication as to whether they're able to land a supposed bigger fish or if it'll be closer to this one, and give us an indication as to whether this is just a fallow year for big names or a sign that bigger names are just prioritising their own arena/stadium stuff.

I agree with others tbf - I think the Pyramid is not that impressive but obviously the difficult in booking a Sunday headliner didn't help, plus there are plenty of acts I'd see on other stages. If I had tickets, I'd still be content to commit.

If Glastonbury wasn't the brand it is today they'd be struggling. At the moment it will sell out just because it's Glastonbury, just like the new Apple phone will sell out. If this was 2008, I really think the festival would struggle. I mean, look at the 2008 lineup. It's amazing, and it didn't sell out till the day the festival started, or not far off.

That's not to say the poster bothers me personally. I know from experience that I tend to have a better time when the lineups are weaker. It just gives you that bit more freedom.

4 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

If Glastonbury wasn't the brand it is today they'd be struggling. At the moment it will sell out just because it's Glastonbury, just like the new Apple phone will sell out. If this was 2008, I really think the festival would struggle. I mean, look at the 2008 lineup. It's amazing, and it didn't sell out till the day the festival started, or not far off.

Gonna have to stop you right there - the 2008 lineup was awful, jam packed with indie landfill throughout and was a grim vision of how the music scene looked in 2008. Thankfully the 2009 lineup came back swinging and remains one of the better ones in recent years, but that 2008 lineup (and 07 before it), uck, grim times and not at all surprising that it struggled (although obviously the headliners + rained off previous festivals didn’t help).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I think it’s far less Emily’s fault and more a combination of the hardships brought on by COVID, Brexit, it being a sh*t touring year for acts, and the fact Glastonbury has pretty much exhausted the well of ginormous name acts willing to play for less than they’d get elsewhere and so they’re having to go back to old familiar names.

The scheduling this year is pretty janky and makes the lineup look worse than if we’d have gotten a traditional first poster imo, but given we know the struggles they had behind the scenes securing the third headliner etc I’m not surprised some of it looks a bit iffy.

Hopefully this is just an adjustment period and not a sign of the struggles the festival is gonna face going forward, but I do think the mega star studded lineups of the last fifteen years might be a thing of the past, or at least to that same insane standard. 

Yeah, some of those poor scheduling options didn't need to happen though. Bringing them in is one thing, where you choose to put them is another. I don't know many for example that have agreed LCD subbing is an ideal position. There are many smaller acts out there that could have played and it's very clear but the transition switch in what they want higher up is very clear to see.

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I've actually probably got my most want to see acts on the pyramid. I think I've got 3 acta I care for on the whole of woodsies, West holts and the park and one of those is definitely rules out.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Too soon to start writing the obituaries imho.  They obviously had the ambition and wherewithal to try to land Madonna. That it didn't work out - for Glastonbury or anyone else for that matter - isn't really their fault.

If 2025 represents a further downward slide then we'll see.

The resell will tell the festival all they want to know about the future. Many acts on here are primarily for the young foundation that coming into music would have been met by higher prices for acta that what seem of us others have.

I only seeing it myself going further and further like this.

10 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Gonna have to stop you right there - the 2008 lineup was awful, jam packed with indie landfill throughout and was a grim vision of how the music scene looked in 2008. Thankfully the 2009 lineup came back swinging and remains one of the better ones in recent years, but that 2008 lineup (and 07 before it), uck, grim times and not at all surprising that it struggled (although obviously the headliners + rained off previous festivals didn’t help).

I think all 3 of those years were very good for their line ups. The weather issues had more of an impact on struggling sales than the line up and as you say, 2008 was a reflection of what was popular, which surely is what festivals like Glastonbury should be about. 

21 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

No. It was a brilliant lineup. There was some indie landfill, granted, but across the board it was a varied, well curated lineup. This year's lineup would love a Leonard Cohen or Neil Diamond or Any Winehouse. 2008 was vintage. 2009 was cracking too. And it sold out quickly off the back of 2008. It was a turning point.

2 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

I find this image interesting. The acts missing are acts that started their live careers playing in grassroots venues. Not sure how it compares to other years but surely it can only be a good thing for acts, venues and future festivals.

FB_IMG_1710665586253.jpg

I saw this yesterday. It is interesting but I want to see their workings.

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Looking forward to misery and hadship so I can be slightly happier at the good bits.

For me outside working between 5.30am and 11-12am litterpicking in the mud and rain is beyond grim. The shifts are hard enough as it is. Anyone not minding the rain and the mud is welcome to try their hand at volunteering in it.

2 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

For me outside working between 5.30am and 11-12am litterpicking in the mud and rain is beyond grim. The shifts are hard enough as it is. Anyone not minding the rain and the mud is welcome to try their hand at volunteering in it.

I'm a litter picker. One of the rules is you don't pick anything that's under the mud. Ergo, less to pick 👍🏻

The absence of headliners for me - so far - gives me the opportunity to do different things around the festival I may otherwise miss.

The daytime line up is perfectly fine for me, 5 on the Park, 5 on West Holts, 2 on the Pyramid so I’m happy.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

...two Pyramid subs slots in Little Simz and Burna Boy being similar...that's not festival healthy....that's picking them because she wants to over day one of those and a different act.

Are you saying Little Simz

Screenshot_20240317-120854.png.023a996d6ef7be4a2fd7921f1a12b163.png

and Burna Boy

Screenshot_20240317-120934.png.8868fc80d4396c7c93c7f196e1f78d6c.png

aren't different genres and are too samey?

25 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I saw this yesterday. It is interesting but I want to see their workings.

That'll be fascinating to see. I suppose you can check an acts past tours and shows and quite quickly see if they have played grassroots or independent venues.

I know Music Venue Trust put a statement out regarding a statement that a festivals group had said about struggling to get headliners where MVT basically said that festivals should take more risks in supporting acts that do the hard grind of playing at independent venues and that independent venues and festivals should work together to build up acts to become future headliners.

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Are you saying Little Simz

Screenshot_20240317-120854.png.023a996d6ef7be4a2fd7921f1a12b163.png

and Burna Boy

Screenshot_20240317-120934.png.8868fc80d4396c7c93c7f196e1f78d6c.png

aren't different genres and are too samey?

I'm saying they are too similar to book for totally different crowds if we're trying to be diverse, rather than selective which is what I think they have done. So basically both have blended genres of R&B. Proves my point.

59 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

No. It was a brilliant lineup. There was some indie landfill, granted, but across the board it was a varied, well curated lineup. This year's lineup would love a Leonard Cohen or Neil Diamond or Any Winehouse. 2008 was vintage. 2009 was cracking too. And it sold out quickly off the back of 2008. It was a turning point.

Glastonbury 2009 took 4 months to sell out. It was 2010 that sold out really quickly off the back of Blur, Bruce, Neiler and co

3 hours ago, northernangel said:

two Pyramid subs slots in Little Simz and Burna Boy being similar...that's not festival healthy....that's picking them because she wants to over day one of those and a different act.

Massively disagree with this. They’re clearly grooming Little Simz for a future headline slot. Her West Holts gig was mind blowingly good.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

2008 was an absolute bin fire

image.thumb.png.e986eb3ff3885b6e9497f3b85125d8a5.png

From looking at that, saw 6 1/2 acts all weekend, with only 1 of those on Friday. f**k knows what we did for the rest of the 5 days.

1 hour ago, Twiggy553 said:

Massively disagree with this. They’re clearly grooming Little Simz for a future headline slot. Her West Holts gig was mind blowingly good.

They can groom her all they want, unless she has a string of hits this will be her peak. 

And I say that as a fan.