Site changes for 2024 …

Crazyfool01

4 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

The metal on the inside is for running cables and the fact it's got see through glass suggests it isn't something back of house. Definitely looks like it's been/planned to be on or near a stage because of the signs about noise. 

You're right though it's definitely not the levels, or at least not something you can see from the front of the levels. 

But it looks like it's already been used on site rather than something new which is interesting 

Possibly something BBC studio related

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Or it’s just got a bit muddy from sitting in the fields for several months over a pretty grotty winter 

Possible yeah, would wonder why they'd get something for the end of the festival and leave it over winter though

The glass stacking units appeared on site after the 2023 festival, and we've had news since that Genosys will reappear in 2024, so I'm sticking with the reborn Genosys theory myself.  They're essentially just dumped inside Gate C alongside prefabricated stairs and a couple of pallets of bits and bobs so it looks myself very much like they were delivered and are now just waiting to be shifted into place during this years build tbh rather than having been already used on site for 2023. 

I potentially have a bit of intel that might be relevant with them boxes. Someone who works in the same yard as Joe Rush told me a good few months back that he had built/was building some sort of sky bar for a backstage area. Don't know anything more than that and certainly not saying confidently it's what them boxes are, but not out the question.

I hope not anyway, not interested in what they have going on for people backstage personally 😆

4 minutes ago, turkey twizzler said:

I potentially have a bit of intel that might be relevant with them boxes. Someone who works in the same yard as Joe Rush told me a good few months back that he had built/was building some sort of sky bar for a backstage area. Don't know anything more than that and certainly not saying confidently it's what them boxes are, but not out the question.

I hope not anyway, not interested in what they have going on for people backstage personally 😆

Yeah, something like that wouldn't necessarily be in the spirit that the festival so often prides itself upon. Within the fence, an inclusive space, regardless of status. It would certainly be a new direction to take, one akin to a more commercial festival that divides "VIPs" with the rest. Sure, Glastonbury has backstage areas like Interstage but that's dead. The only one really worth writing home about is Maceo's and that can be accessed if you really want to get in. 

I'm not even sure which backstage areas would be big enough to house it either. It's a fair bit of kit, that. Another vote here for Genosys. I've seen it all with my own eyes, they could do spectacular stuff with it. I'm excited for the possibilities.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, something like that wouldn't necessarily be in the spirit that the festival so often prides itself upon. Within the fence, an inclusive space, regardless of status. It would certainly be a new direction to take, one akin to a more commercial festival that divides "VIPs" with the rest. Sure, Glastonbury has backstage areas like Interstage but that's dead. The only one really worth writing home about is Maceo's and that can be accessed if you really want to get in. 

I'm not even sure which backstage areas would be big enough to house it either. It's a fair bit of kit, that. Another vote here for Genosys. I've seen it all with my own eyes, they could do spectacular stuff with it. I'm excited for the possibilities.

Completely agree. I don't like the idea of anything really cool being built just for the VIPs.

24 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Haven’t we already got that with the viewing platform over the mixing desks?  It’s used almost exclusively by artists, Emily and probably potential headliners. I can’t see a problem with that myself. 
Now if they charged £30k a ticket for access I would take a different view. 

4 minutes ago, tarw said:

Haven’t we already got that with the viewing platform over the mixing desks?  It’s used almost exclusively by artists, Emily and probably potential headliners. I can’t see a problem with that myself. 
Now if they charged £30k a ticket for access I would take a different view. 

To a certain degree, I guess so. I'd imagine numbers are strictly limited the further towards the headliners we go. I'm talking more about larger spaces, where a separate party goes on. None of the current crew/backstage areas have a significant amount of investment (again, maybe apart from Maceo's), certainly nothing that necessitates the kind of infrastructure that's currently hidden next to PGC. When the festival invests into staging, it currently very much goes into the "public" space, first and foremost. I don't see any shift from that policy.

20 hours ago, TheDayman said:

Looks to have all doors intact so we can rule out Boeing anyway

19 hours ago, al_coholic said:

It's a Dreamliner, so we may need the NTSB on site to do an inspection before gates open

Yep, I think it's a Boeing 787 Dreamliner... So we may need to check the forward pressure bulkhead, composite strength, panel gaps, vertical tail fin and fuel lines.... Doors 'should' be ok though... 🙈🤣

On 3/24/2024 at 7:21 PM, Justcalledtosay said:

The foundations will still be there. Highly unlikely they’ll have gone to the effort of removing them.

You can see them dug into the ground in this photo so I imagine they're covered over.  Probably a bored concrete or driven steel pile, then a steel column inside the car connects to the bolts you can see sticking up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php/?photo_id=687011853433364

img_1_1711541986776.jpg

What a pointless waste of time, money, effort and space Car Henge is. It adds absolutely no value to the festival and took over a really good stage. The festival never seems to learn with these things, and most of the other stuff Joe Rush seems to deposit all over the site. Look how long it took to get rid of cinemarmageddon, no doubt car henge will be here for years as well. 

• Upvote 1

the whole Mad Max thing that seems to be the single trick that Joe Rush's pony can do was deffo a really cool thing back in the day, really i honesty love all that stuff and think its great.

but is there nothing else that we can think of? like over the course of thirty years or whatever, is Road Warrior still our only inspiration?

i actually didnt hate Car Henge like i thought i would, they just need to actually make good use of it.

Carmaramageddon or whatever the f**k it was called, on the other hand, was a massive pile of sh*t.

Ooh another prompt for a discussion about carhenge?

I'll get my popcorn out 😉

They had to change WG for reasons, they had some spare cars as they were getting rid of an unused feature and freeing up some space for other things, they had a tiny budget so they made carhenge.  Some folks like it, some don't, most agree it would be better if they featured more music played there.

Anything I've missed?

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1

On 3/26/2024 at 3:31 PM, turkey twizzler said:

I hope not anyway, not interested in what they
have going on for people backstage personally
 😆

good attitude: -  backstage is the most boring place on site the action is out front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Ooh another prompt for a discussion about carhenge?

I'll get my popcorn out 😉

They had to change WG for reasons, they had some spare cars as they were getting rid of an unused feature and freeing up some space for other things, they had a tiny budget so they made carhenge.  Some folks like it, some don't, most agree it would be better if they featured more music played there.

Anything I've missed?

I'm not convinced that Carhenge was a cheap option. At least, not in Year One.

If it was just a straight chop and weld, that'd be one thing. But putting down foundations for it (as they seemingly have done) requires proper planning and a decent wedge of cash. I'd be very surprised if it came in any cheaper for 2023 than Williams Green would have. Where it potentially becomes cheaper is if they insist on persisting with it going forward.

17 hours ago, al_coholic said:

What a pointless waste of time, money, effort and space Car Henge is. It adds absolutely no value to the festival and took over a really good stage. The festival never seems to learn with these things, and most of the other stuff Joe Rush seems to deposit all over the site. Look how long it took to get rid of cinemarmageddon, no doubt car henge will be here for years as well. 

Sadly absolutely spot on

they save thousands booking a williams green lineup tho…..

meanwhile new bands breaking through are meant to play where exactly? 

6 hours ago, incident said:

I'm not convinced that Carhenge was a cheap option. At least, not in Year One.

If it was just a straight chop and weld, that'd be one thing. But putting down foundations for it (as they seemingly have done) requires proper planning and a decent wedge of cash. I'd be very surprised if it came in any cheaper for 2023 than Williams Green would have. Where it potentially becomes cheaper is if they insist on persisting with it going forward.

After the initial setup costs car henge will be a pittance to roll out year on year. The foundations are in place they just need labour time to build it, take it down and somewhere to store it. All of which they already have plenty of.

Why else would it have been done other than costs? WG was incorrectly considered expendable and a cost saving. Someone else's favourite area / tent is next.

Edited by Memory Man

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

They had to change WG for reasons,

Unless theres any other knowledge it can only be costs?

they could have just stopped opening it on the thursday, if that was the issue. Or booked stuff most people hadnt heard of / given a leg up to emerging bands.

can you tell i am still annoyed about it 😂

glasto at this point are asking the the rest of the festival sector and industry to do the new bands / talent development for them and book acts 2/3 years down the road on park / woodsies that have already done the festival circuit by the time they reach that level

you can already see the stars of tomorrow at green man and end of the road usually 2 years before they get anywhere near glastonbury. Removing the main tent these acts have available to them is piss poor.

Edited by Memory Man

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Unless theres any other knowledge it can only be costs?

they could have just stopped opening it on the thursday, if that was the issue. Or booked stuff most people hadnt heard of / given a leg up to emerging bands.

can you tell i am still annoyed about it 😂

glasto at this point are asking the the rest of the festival sector and industry to do the new bands / talent development for them and book acts 2/3 years down the road on park / woodsies that have already done the festival circuit by the time they reach that level

You do realise there are 100 stages that they are still able to use to promote talent ? Williams green not the only one …. They also run several competitions designed at promoting talent either by giving space at Pilton party or offering a space at the festival