Site changes for 2024 …

Crazyfool01

13 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I doubt anybody would miss them, their fireworks are rubbish anyway.

Biggest benefit would be reducing the impact on wildlife, although I suspect the noise from the festival itself isn't too great here either. In terms of carbon, it's not going to make a massive impact at all, something like 0.5kg of CO2 per kg of flashpowder. It's not the longest show and they don't use very big shells at Glastonbury at all. To put that into perspective, 'green' biofuel produces 1kg of CO2 per litre in generators.   

Maybe they could use the money saved to invest into more green infrastructure, that would be pretty cool. 

I would.  Personally love fireworks 

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They had them last year.

1 hour ago, jow95 said:

I think those days are gone. Too much cost/effort for a tiny number of people that get to see them. They've focussed on introducing higher capacity venues down there over the last decade

Was gonna say, there was definitely more of that last year.

21 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Was gonna say, there was definitely more of that last year.

Did any of them actually open though? Obviously that's the point, that most people won't see them open but I haven't heard many stories about what may or may not have been behind them. Was it just for show?

1 hour ago, jow95 said:

Did any of them actually open though? Obviously that's the point, that most people won't see them open but I haven't heard many stories about what may or may not have been behind them. Was it just for show?

Err as I can remember the ones on the main "street" were for show but there were definitely side alleys and stuff to go down. 

17 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Fair enough... I can recommend some good displays in the UK if you're genuinely interested? 

Missing fireworks should they no longer be a feature at glastonbury and being willing to travel round the UK specifically to go and watch fireworks are probably slightly different things.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

Missing fireworks should they no longer be a feature at glastonbury and being willing to travel round the UK specifically to go and watch fireworks are probably slightly different things.

They said 'personally love fireworks.' hence the offer...  

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

They said 'personally love fireworks.' hence the offer...  

Apologies, I thought you were being sarcastic and assumed when you said nobody would miss the fireworks and mentioned the negative environmental impact that you weren't going to be a pyromaniac who knows all the best fireworks displays round the UK. 

It seems you actually are though so again, I apologise.

On 2/15/2024 at 9:11 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

maybe would be a good revenue generator .... hope not though quite like the camping up there apart from the exceptionally big headliners where it becomes a necessity 

I camped there over 15 years..was sorry to see it's go...at least we did get a frontline row again lasted year..along with Pimm's crew,, pyramid palace and the sofa crew..but I can't see it coming back..

In 98 I don't even know if the festival used to set them off in those days, but I celebrated my thirtieth birthday by taking a bag of fireworks (few rockets etc) and setting them off in what I think is/was maybe Webbs Ash.  There were tents in there but in those days and before the peak nights there was a decent enough gap from other tents. 

I had enough drunk/spliff that me lighting them would have made a suitable public information film, hence I was a bit wary of what was gonna happen when some stewards turned up.

All they told me was to take care and they were bloody great.

4 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Apologies, I thought you were being sarcastic and assumed when you said nobody would miss the fireworks and mentioned the negative environmental impact that you weren't going to be a pyromaniac who knows all the best fireworks displays round the UK. 

It seems you actually are though so again, I apologise.

I'm no enthusiast or expect, but yes, I like a 'good' show. One that's story driven, set to music with precision timing, and encompasses other elements, like lasers, fire, drones etc. That was my point all along, that I never bother with smaller displays like Glastonbury's, they always seem a bit naf after experiencing so many really good full scale productions. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited to add: If we're going to enjoy fireworks for years to come with minimal impact on the environment, I also believe that big productions are the way to go, and hopefully less people using them at home... 30k people in a field watching one display has to be better than each of those families having their own small display in the garden... Right?

Edited by Alvoram
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Isn't the opening display on the Wednesday pretty minimal compared to the pyro on El Pointo during a headline performance?

It's a good point, and while I've got reservations about whether the Weds fireworks have had their day I'd certainly miss the spectacle during a headline performance, although not everyone brings them obvs. 

We don't want to get too Puritanical about it, such that it becomes a total buzz kill.

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

When did the Wednesday night fireworks become a thing?

I don’t recall them in my earlier years of attending the festival (mid-00s)

I don’t remember them from the 2000s. Was it when the park was added 2010?

On 2/17/2024 at 9:11 AM, parsonjack said:

It's a good point, and while I've got reservations about whether the Weds fireworks have had their day I'd certainly miss the spectacle during a headline performance, although not everyone brings them obvs. 

We don't want to get too Puritanical about it, such that it becomes a total buzz kill.

Wed is much bigger than any Pyramid performance - goes on for ages and leaves a cloud billowing across the site

12 hours ago, tarw said:

I don’t remember them from the 2000s. Was it when the park was added 2010?

The Park was added in 2007.

Unless I completely missed them (entirely possible! 😄 ) then I think its been within the last decade they've made a big thing of it.

23 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The Park was added in 2007.

Unless I completely missed them (entirely possible! 😄 ) then I think its been within the last decade they've made a big thing of it.

I was there in 08,09,10 but then a gap til 14. They seemed to appear in the gap - 14 was the first time I went to watch. Now I much prefer to watch them go off from the pyramid field. It's completely empty and you get a beautiful view of them all going off across all 3 fields. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

I was there in 08,09,10 but then a gap til 14. They seemed to appear in the gap - 14 was the first time I went to watch. Now I much prefer to watch them go off from the pyramid field. It's completely empty and you get a beautiful view of them all going off across all 3 fields. 

My crowd still prefer going to the SC...I tried to suggest elsewhere last year but got shot down!

I can recall going to the SC on the Weds in 2013, but I'm not convinced there was any fireworks or even in 2011 when I did similar on the Weds.

On 2/16/2024 at 4:59 PM, Alvoram said:

Fair enough... I can recommend some good displays in the UK if you're genuinely interested? 

That's very kind.  I go a number of large and small displays across the country either in a working capacity (I do some seasonal work for a fireworks company) or as a punter.  If I started adding more I think my wife would lose the plot!

• Like 1