Site changes for 2024 …

Crazyfool01

As someone who missed out on a ticket this year, I think they put it all back into storage and tarmac over the farm.

Do think the SEC needs a reduction, with Siilver Hayes upgrade last year there is now far too much DnB/EDM on the site after 11pm, no reason for SEC to not have an element or two of it changed to accomodate a little more variety in the night time scene. One of the Diners was playing Ska and Funk on the thursday last year, would leave to see areas focusing on similar genres

Really basic stuff but I'd like to see more one way systems in place where wide paths are split at busy times. 

I'd have to study the map to make sense but for example the main market area between the  other and pyramid .  

It's very wide so a divide down the middle with one side for each direction that comes into force between 7 & midnight has a one of example. 

Perhaps the same on the other side between Pyramid and San Remo. 

2 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

As someone who missed out on a ticket this year, I think they put it all back into storage and tarmac over the farm.

Do think the SEC needs a reduction, with Siilver Hayes upgrade last year there is now far too much DnB/EDM on the site after 11pm, no reason for SEC to not have an element or two of it changed to accomodate a little more variety in the night time scene. One of the Diners was playing Ska and Funk on the thursday last year, would leave to see areas focusing on similar genres

I've lost count of how many times I've written this:

There is loads of non DnB/EDM on late at night, even in the SE corner. Take for example the biggest venue in Shangri-La, The Truth Stage which hosts all sorts of music and genres. The Diner host bands every night, The Rum Shack also have live artists.

Then you have the rest of the site: several venues in Green Futures, Strummer Ville, Bimble Inn, The Glade host bands after 11pm etc, etc

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Really basic stuff but I'd like to see more one way systems in place where wide paths are split at busy times.

This was tried on the railway track as a late night entry/exit for SE corner, didn't really work. Hence the current "round the houses" route.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

There is loads of non DnB/EDM on late at night, even in the SE corner. Take for example the biggest venue in Shangri-La, The Truth Stage which hosts all sorts of music and genres. The Diner host bands every night, The Rum Shack also have live artists.

Then you have the rest of the site: several venues in Green Futures, Strummer Ville, Bimble Inn, The Glade host bands after 11pm etc, etc

^^ this. 

You're never going to get large venues like iicon and the temple playing non electronic/dance music after 11pm because that's not what most people want at that time, but there's plenty of smaller venues catering for this. 

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Honourable mention to Glasto Latino tent, tried for SEC one year but was too late as it was already full, ended up in the latino tent all night and it was absolutely quality  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Sorry I hate this comment. 

There are so many other options 

Loads of the bars put non dance, Green fields always have some folk or country stuff at night. 

Some of the stages in the theatre area 

The bandstand even had acts on till later this year. 

For the SE corner specifically the Rocket Lounge is the place for after hours bands

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The issue here being that The Truth Stage is mobbed beyond belief (or at least was when I tried on Weds and thurs of last year), it was genuinely stationary traffic. Appreciate crowds are going to be busy at Glasto, but it was next level last year, and that's clearly the main 'alternative' section. Same with The Glade - I know the Thursday is a bit of an outlier, but the crowd for Example of all people was borderline dangerous last year, just brough the entire area to a standstill.

My main issue isn't necessarily that there's a lot of EDM, I understand it suits the time of day - I like Electronic music - it's just that the combination of Arcadia, SEC, most of Shangri-La, and Silver Hayes is overkill for the after headliner antics when they are undoubtedly the biggest available venues

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

The issue here being that The Truth Stage is mobbed beyond belief (or at least was when I tried on Weds and thurs of last year), it was genuinely stationary traffic. Appreciate crowds are going to be busy at Glasto, but it was next level last year, and that's clearly the main 'alternative' section. Same with The Glade - I know the Thursday is a bit of an outlier, but the crowd for Example of all people was borderline dangerous last year, just brough the entire area to a standstill.

My main issue isn't necessarily that there's a lot of EDM, I understand it suits the time of day - I like Electronic music - it's just that the combination of Arcadia, SEC, most of Shangri-La, and Silver Hayes is overkill for the after headliner antics when they are undoubtedly the biggest available venues

they are still rammed of a night though, so disagree with overkill, if anything, you could make an argument for more 😆

However, will agree with example part. Got stuck on the hill trying to get out after Girls Don't Sync and genuinely felt anxious at one point for how crowded and crushing it was

Edited by AndyL16

In all seriousness, if I had to be pushed to just one change, it would be a complete revamp of Shangri-la. I'm not exactly sure what that would look like, but it's a pale imitation of its former self, suffers from serious overcrowding (arguably as bad as anywhere on site), thanks in no small part to the bottleneck around the Truth Stage and rather than be my after hours venue of choice, I actively avoid the place now, and that's such a shame because it used to be the area I got most excited about. I have faith in the festival to eventually deliver, they do tend to shake things up when they get stale, but they are incredibly loyal to their area creators, maybe overly so, sometimes. That said, I appreciate that those areas have had to operate on impractically low budgets in recent years.

Maybe too much emphasis is put on having a socio-political "message"? Do those messages get through to the majority of punters? Do they care? Does it matter? Or would people rather have an environment that's less crowded, with a wider variety of music and less style over substance? 

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Maybe too much emphasis is put on having a socio-political "message"? Do those messages get through to the majority of punters? Do they care? Does it matter? Or would people rather have an environment that's less crowded, with a wider variety of music and less style over substance? 

I'm not sure anyone really notices or cares while out partying.

I've said it before, but the "dystopian" theme is old and overdone, plus it's a bit too close to our day to day life. How about a bit of bright colourfull escapism for a change.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

This was tried on the railway track as a late night entry/exit for SE corner, didn't really work. Hence the current "round the houses" route.

Not sure it's the same Railway track is really narrow which is why I'm guessing it was more problematic.  These areas are 10 times wider. 

There was an attempt to do something like this this year for Elton John but the briefing to the stewards seemed a bit vague and unplanned. It might have worked if they had been better planned

Edited by Ben7amin_

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I've said it before, but the "dystopian" theme is old and overdone, plus it's a bit too close to our day to day life. How about a bit of bright colourfull escapism for a change.

This is a great point. There’s no longer a satirical bridge between the SEC and real life. It’s merely a short extension of what we’re all already living, or a commentary on it that’s too close for comfort. 

Shangri La has become a reminder of how awful things are rather than a wry reflection of where we could be heading. As such, it no longer sets out what it wants to achieve and needs to be overhauled.

Rather than telling ticket holders off if they don’t do the right thing, why not create a utopia where people could glimpse what it’s like when we all party as one? I’m done with the dystopian stuff. Let’s be more colourful and fabulous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Wrong.

Feeling like you are partying with people on the same page as you is liberating. 

Second what everyone else has said about crowding in Shangri-La - got caught in a wave on the Saturday night last year as we were having a wander, and genuinely got picked up off my feet going past Truth. Once you were swept up in the crowd it was impossible to move for yourself and it properly freaked me out and ended the night.

Getting out after Girls Don't Sync and before Example was also a nightmare. Overcrowding seems to be getting worse and worse every year.

29 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Not sure it's the same Railway track is really narrow which is why I'm guessing it was more problematic.  These areas are 10 times wider. 

There was an attempt to do something like this this year for Elton John but the briefing to the stewards seemed a bit vague and unplanned. It might have worked if they had been better planned

They try to direct people to the back of the field to filter down from the back, followed them for Foo fighters and we had a much easier time getting to the middle. 

The main problem you have on the walk ways is that as soon as you put more barriers onto it that is more things that people could get crushed against and you've effectively halved the capacity of the route. Crowd control is really tricky to balance to make sure stuff you put in doesn't make actually make anything worse.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

They try to direct people to the back of the field to filter down from the back, followed them for Foo fighters and we had a much easier time getting to the middle. 

The main problem you have on the walk ways is that as soon as you put more barriers onto it that is more things that people could get crushed against and you've effectively halved the capacity of the route. Crowd control is really tricky to balance to make sure stuff you put in doesn't make actually make anything worse.

Honestly I was thinking about those low gates that are light and a meter tall. So they could be quickly deployed by stewards rather than needing facilities. 

In the areas I mention it's not there is not enough space it's just that people have to move left and right tryna dodge groups comming the other way. In 2016 when it was muddy it was literally nightmarish to get though. 

2 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Honestly I was thinking about those low gates that are light and a meter tall. So they could be quickly deployed by stewards rather than needing facilities. 

In the areas I mention it's not there is not enough space it's just that people have to move left and right tryna dodge groups comming the other way. In 2016 when it was muddy it was literally nightmarish to get though. 

It's just not practical - if you think about one area you mentioned, pyramid to san remo, food stalls on one side, toilets on the other, who would police it, what if you want to cross etc

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's just not practical - if you think about one area you mentioned, pyramid to san remo, food stalls on one side, toilets on the other, who would police it, what if you want to cross etc

I mean the solution I've suggested is not perfect woukd need refining but the problem is a real one.