Site changes for 2024 …

Crazyfool01

17 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Id rather see a drone show than fireworks on Wednesday 

My gusss would be they’d do a combination at first… maybe one firework site instead of the 3 locations they’ve done in recent years.

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Wonder what the cost comparison would be … was actually discussing this last night randomly as @vintagelaureate sent a video of his trip to euro disney 

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

Id rather see a drone show than fireworks on Wednesday 

Yes cost would definitely be a consideration but I'd guess with the amount of fireworks they launch it might not be too different.

I'm also thinking fireworks might have had their day tbh.....they're not exactly environmentally friendly in those numbers....polluting the air and whatever falls onto the ground would leach into the watercourses etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Yes cost would definitely be a consideration but I'd guess with the amount of fireworks they launch it might not be too different.

I'm also thinking fireworks might have had their day tbh.....they're not exactly environmentally friendly in those numbers....polluting the air and whatever falls onto the ground would leach into the watercourses etc.

+1

I freely admit I can be a miserable sod, but I have to admit I cringe a bit when watching them. Just feel they're a bit old hat now from an environmental perspective and the festival could do better. They might be great visuals up on the hill, but you could impress people and keep a Weds night staple with the drones - I think@stuie mentioned these, but the Wilderness ones last year were v impressive.

10 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

That drone carry on looks decent but I'd be disappointed to see the end of the fireworks and setting stuff on fire tbh

So would I, but mainly because two of my friends get in by building the main structure burnt on the Wednesday

1 hour ago, incident said:

Saw a video of the Drone Show at SGP last year, and it looked fantastic.

Wow, that's ace. Fireworks are overrated, in my opinion. After you've seen a few big displays the novelty wears off. How many times can you say wow to the same thing?

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

That drone carry on looks decent but I'd be disappointed to see the end of the fireworks and setting stuff on fire tbh

Drone shows are crap without fireworks and other elements anyway, so don't worry too much.

I've seen lots of drone shows now, and they get very old, very quickly, believe me. However, alongside a 'good' fireworks display, set to music and bringing in other elements too (lasers, fire, whatever) they work very well. 

I think the days of 'just fireworks' or 'just drones' are behind us. People expect more nowadays, they want a multi dimensional show, set to a story with good music.

Edited by Alvoram

19 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Drone shows are crap without fireworks and other elements anyway, so don't worry too much.

I've seen lots of drone shows now, and they get very old, very quickly, believe me. However, alongside a 'good' fireworks display, set to music and bringing in other elements too (lasers, fire, whatever) they work very well. 

I think the days of 'just fireworks' or 'just drones' are behind us. People expect more nowadays, they want a multi dimensional show, set to a story with good music.

Fireworks are an absolute horror show for the environment and wildlife so I’m 100% certain that their days at Glastonbury are numbered.

The festival are making steps to be greener and improve their environmental reputation every year - wind turbine, bio fuel generators, sustainable fuel for Arcadia etc. it’s just a matter of time before they get rid of the fireworks.

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:09 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

What would you like ? What do you know ? And what is happening in terms of site changes for 2024 

Row mead will never return... you'll have food stalls all a long the back of the pyramid stage field....

5 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Row mead will never return... you'll have food stalls all a long the back of the pyramid stage field....

maybe would be a good revenue generator .... hope not though quite like the camping up there apart from the exceptionally big headliners where it becomes a necessity 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Fireworks are an absolute horror show for the environment and wildlife so I’m 100% certain that their days at Glastonbury are numbered.

The festival are making steps to be greener and improve their environmental reputation every year - wind turbine, bio fuel generators, sustainable fuel for Arcadia etc. it’s just a matter of time before they get rid of the fireworks.

I doubt anybody would miss them, their fireworks are rubbish anyway.

Biggest benefit would be reducing the impact on wildlife, although I suspect the noise from the festival itself isn't too great here either. In terms of carbon, it's not going to make a massive impact at all, something like 0.5kg of CO2 per kg of flashpowder. It's not the longest show and they don't use very big shells at Glastonbury at all. To put that into perspective, 'green' biofuel produces 1kg of CO2 per litre in generators.   

Maybe they could use the money saved to invest into more green infrastructure, that would be pretty cool. 

Edited by Alvoram

7 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Biggest benefit would be reducing the impact on wildlife, although I suspect the noise from the festival itself isn't too great here either. In terms of carbon, it's not going to make a massive impact at all, something like 0.5kg of CO2 per kg of flashpowder. It's not the longest show and they don't use very big shells at Glastonbury at all. To put that into perspective, 'green' biofuel produces 1kg of CO2 per litre in generators.   

Maybe they could use the money saved to invest into more green infrastructure, that would be pretty cool. 

I think that it is the heavy metals and the oxidising agents that are more of a problem to the environment. They will settle on the grass to be ingested by animals and get into water courses 

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

It's not so much the CO2 as the heavy metals and toxic chemical compounds that contaminate the ground and the water table. 

3 hours ago, tarw said:

I think that it is the heavy metals and the oxidising agents that are more of a problem to the environment. They will settle on the grass to be ingested by animals and get into water courses 

32 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's not so much the CO2 as the heavy metals and toxic chemical compounds that contaminate the ground and the water table. 

Yes heavy metals in fireworks are an issue, they were traditionally used to produce the colours. However, there have been fireworks that do not use these dangerous heavy metals for quite a while now. Lead and chromium were banned years ago. and the relatively safe borate, magnesium, calcium and sodium, can be used instead of dangerous metals to produce colours in 'greener' fireworks. I would have hoped that Glastonbury would already be using the greenest options, given the farming location, though perhaps not.  

You can go even further than this. Disney apparently uses greener fireworks, but also launches their shells using pneumatic air instead of explosive charges, further reducing the carbon footprint of their nightly show too. I'd love to learn how that works, because their shows are very well timed to music too, so I'm guessing the pneumatics help with that.

I think that last year’s display with the weather conditions meaning most of the display was obscured by the “smoke “ from the previous volleys shows that the amount of particulate pollution was significant and although Mg,Ca & Na are less damaging they’re still not good at those levels 

Although the calcium might help with Milk Fever rates on the farm

Edited by tarw

19 minutes ago, tarw said:

I think that last year’s display with the weather conditions meaning most of the display was obscured by the “smoke “ from the previous volleys shows that the amount of particulate pollution was significant and although Mg,Ca & Na are less damaging they’re still not good at those levels 

Although the calcium might help with Milk Fever rates on the farm

That's actually a very good point, the amount of smoke last year would suggest they're using cheap fireworks. If they were using eco friendly fireworks they would have been nitrogen instead of perchlorate based, producing much less smoke. 😕

55 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Need some more interactive areas/doors that can be opened in the SE corner

I think those days are gone. Too much cost/effort for a tiny number of people that get to see them. They've focussed on introducing higher capacity venues down there over the last decade