2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

4 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Just to add - this isn't "the old days". It happens now on an absolute *industrial* scale, potentially in the thousands, between the local villager ticket loophole  & people paying to go in the back of traders vans which very rarely get checked. 

I guess the only difference is it's people paying to bunk in now, although you do still get the odd successful runner (and those that get caught just get dropped off outside the gates to try again)

Great point, thanks for the reminder. where do we stand on this? Is it as bad as this situation, worse, better?

1 hour ago, stuie said:

It absolutely doesn’t sounds like a violation of the computer misuse act. No one hacked anything. 

As stated by others smarter about this than me, it was an ip of a server not intended to be part of the sale, and so I think counts as “unauthorized access to computer material.” 

I think that’s enough to justify cancelling all tickets bought with a illegally accessed server, and I hope others write to Glastonbury and Seetickets to request this as it will also stop attempts like this going forward.

I agree with everything else you typed. The reason I think this is an exception is because it’s elitist (it wasn’t on any public facing internet before the sale) as well as profit centered (people sold access to the modification).  

1 hour ago, stuie said:

It absolutely doesn’t sounds like a violation of the computer misuse act. No one hacked anything. 

Aside from this IP address trick, I really do understand that it’s upsetting not to get tickets - I’ve been in that boat before - but this is getting silly now. Having a go at people who may have more friends/family to help etc is just over the top. 

Several years ago now when we didn’t get tickets, I rejoined Oxfam. Something I used to do when I was a poor student. You know what, it was one of my best decisions ever.

Brush yourselves off, get ready for the resale or register your interest to volunteer. It’s only a festival, at the end of the day 

This is the way 

13 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Here's some posts from 2022 when I did have a ticket. Just because some people have zero interest in a fair system, don't tar the rest of us with your self obsessed brush. I can't find my old account login for here to show older posts, but as I said my opinion doesn't change regardless of success or not.

Now why don't you go accuse people of lying about their loneliness again you insufferable twat

Fair enough, I apologise for tarring you with the same brush. I think you’re the exception rather than the norm. I’d even say I don’t think the festival care about the fairness enough to change it. They sell all the tickets, the demand is part of their reputation, it keeps it in the social media and the news on ticket day. They can even run massive charity raffles and auctions because of the left over demand. 

And I said he’s an alt account, btw, which I thought several weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

Sorry, but it isn't 'patched'. It's just that you can see only one IP address resolving behind the URL.

Screenshot_20231120-192042.png

Oh sorry I’m not really that good with networking. I just tried it with the IP and it gave me the queue page and 403 error saying not authorised or something along those lines 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Physical_graffiti said:

To probably add nothing to the topic that hasn’t already been mentioned (sorry, I’m not a regular here), the main reason Glastonbury is so good is the people - you’ll all have noticed that at Glastonbury, everyone is really happy and really nice to each other! Whilst other festivals are often fun, this is really NOT the case at other festivals or in our general lives.

Part of that is that everyone attending is really grateful and REALLY wants to be there - they’ve all put effort into being organised, getting up and pressing f5 for an hour (that’s not to say there are a few unlucky hundred thousand who also really want to be there but can’t, simply because demand outstrips supply).

I can think of loads of mates who would never try for tickets but who would enter the ballot on a whim (same way I do for London marathon - I don’t particularly care for it so I would never press f5 for an hour for it, but I do enter the ballot most years when I remember!).

If the audience were made up of mainly half arsed people who entered a ballot, I honestly think it would be disastrous for the vibe, and not the festival we know. Still probably the best festival in the country, but closer to just a generic fun big festival, instead of the glasto we are all obsessed by.

People do get angry without fail all over social media whenever they can’t get a ticket. It would be exactly the same with a ballot.

Nailed it - great post

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, assorted said:

As stated by others smarter about this than me, it was an ip of a server not intended to be part of the sale, and so I think counts as “unauthorized access to computer material.” 

I think that’s enough to justify cancelling all tickets bought with a illegally accessed server, and I hope others write to Glastonbury and Seetickets to request this as it will also stop attempts like this going forward.

I agree with everything else you typed. The reason I think this is an exception is because it’s elitist (it wasn’t on any public facing internet before the sale) as well as profit centered (people sold access to the modification).  

It definitely isn't "unauthorized access to computer material". 

29 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Trying to keep out of this debate all day, but the statement above is such utter nonsense.  The "effort" put in varies massively.  Some people refresh for 10-15 minutes and get fed-up, some don't even use F5.  On the other hand I spent most of Saturday evening setting up as many devices as I could and had my Wife and kids up early and all hands on deck on Sunday morning (I hardly slept Sat night 🤣)    I didn't use the hack and I got my own tickets for the 3rd year running and I firmly believe the effort I put in massively improves my odds. Luck certainly plays a huge part, but the "effort" helps significantly.

It's a mixture of luck and effort. I've got tickets the last 5 years and missed out this year. I put in the same amount of effort but luck wasn't on my side this time.

I'm in a team of only two. People in big groups increase their odds if everyone puts in the effort but it's still luck on the day.

• Like 1

Having the regulars is crucial for loads of reasons, not just the vibe! I mean...it helps them plan literally the whole festival!! Imagine doing a ballot and having a whole load of randomers turn up, crikey it would be a disaster...you'd have no idea what they were going to like or where crowds were likely to form.

I'm in the camp where I feel like every single person on earth should try Glasto... luckily, every year I've been I've met loads of people who it's their first time! Some people act like nobody new ever gets to go. There's always newbies! Always a circulation of people who can no longer attend any more. 

It is what it is...don't see a fairer way of doing it sorry 🤷🏼‍♀️

But yeh...maybe sort out the hacking stuff for next time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Scrump said:

Is it that obvious haha,no I wasn't! Carnage how? 

Well let's just say it wasn't exactly a bed of roses between people who bought tickets which paid for the festival and money to the good causes etc, and people who didn't but thought they were the heart and soul of the party. Especially when people had had their whole tents stolen - that happened a lot. It had got out of hand and become a national sport and there was an obliviousness from some about the threat it had become to the future of the fest. Eavis doesn't mind! Others could see the writing on the wall and it had to stop. And so - arguments and recriminations!

Same setup for me too, always plan ahead with my family and all that so just luck for sure. 

Not sure why people are getting so sh*tty? For me I was keen to understand some of the the technical aspects, as someone who works in IT/Web - we have obviously have some network bods on the thread. Fanks for all the technical input guys, appreciated and useful. 

On 11/19/2023 at 12:55 PM, al_coholic said:

Just to say this worked perfectly for me today 5 macros, #1,#2 etc... bloody brilliant find. Thanks

Pity none of our team managed to get past the holding page for the second time - We scored 5 x Coach tickets for those of us who could travel that way - but the three that needed General tickets (One being a teacher who can only get there from Friday onward) are still ticket less - hopefully April resale will be kinder.

The macro takes all the panic of mistyping and speeds up the input so much it's worth the effort of setting it up...

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Fair enough, I apologise for tarring you with the same brush. I think you’re the exception rather than the norm. I’d even say I don’t think the festival care about the fairness enough to change it. They sell all the tickets, the demand is part of their reputation, it keeps it in the social media and the news on ticket day. They can even run massive charity raffles and auctions because of the left over demand. 

And I said he’s an alt account, btw, which I thought several weeks ago. 

If the festival don't care about fairness and just want to sell all the tickets,  why do they run a massively complex and costly registration system with photos just to stop touting?

5 hours ago, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

People asking for a ballot are asking a successful business, that sells out every year, to change the way they sell tickets. 

This is despite those asking for a ballot continuing to try to buy tickets via a means they don’t like.

So the demand doesn’t decrease. The festival thrives based off that demand. It markets itself based on that demand.

They are not going to change to ballot. Why would they? This method is good business.

Because long term demand will drop if people think there is "no chance" of getting tickets unless they have a special system or big group.

3 hours ago, UEF said:

They massively, massively don't. Not even people within the same group go to the same effort.

This is so correct! Some of my close friends wanted to join us in 2010. In 2011 they wanted to add 3 others. We were an established group before they came along but had to become a new group in our "syndicate." They did this again and again but were never once successful in getting tickets.

They would actually make a brew during the sale! 😱  The last time they asked for help I didn't offer them the chance of joining us.

This is why some groups are more successful than others! You need dedication from ALL members. 

Choose your group very carefully! 👍🏻😂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I ultimately got through in two minutes off a Chrome browser on a split-screen with a Google Doc holding all the relevant details.

Still at a loss as to how easy it was this time.

I think you just have to accept that you were exceptionally lucky!! I've been a regular since 1997, although did do volunteering with Oxfam last year, but no joy this time round. 

8 hours ago, DeanoL said:

At £400 per ticket the notion that a ballot would lead to people who weren't really bothered either way still buying tickets seems daft to me. May have been a good argument when tickets were £150 but I don't think it stands up anymore.

One of the most obnoxious people I ever had the displeasure of working with once asked me how I got tickets and I explained the process to her knowing there was no way she would ever do it. After I explained it she said really isn't there a way you can just pay double the ticket price or something so you don't have to go through all that.

These are the people who would happily enter a ballot and this is the problem. When you are not wealthy it's sometimes hard to imagine how many people have this kind of money as pocket change.

Also I genuinely think people assume that a ballot would be one person, one entry but all that would happen is the people who have access to most addresses would have the most opportunity. They would register at several different addresses etc unless Glastonbury made huge investment in ensuring photos were scrutinised to ensure each photo in a ballot was unique.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I rememeber the 'hack' that was posted on here one year that all you had to do was take the 's' out of the 'https' at the benging of the booking website and you went straight through to the booking page. That was a happy day, however the hacks are a little more sophisticated now.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

One of the most obnoxious people I ever had the displeasure of working with once asked me how I got tickets and I explained the process to her knowing there was no way she would ever do it. After I explained it she said really isn't there a way you can just pay double the ticket price or something so you don't have to go through all that.

These are the people who would happily enter a ballot and this is the problem. When you are not wealthy it's sometimes hard to imagine how many people have this kind of money as pocket change.

Also I genuinely think people assume that a ballot would be one person, one entry but all that would happen is the people who have access to most addresses would have the most opportunity. They would register at several different addresses etc unless Glastonbury made huge investment in ensuring photos were scrutinised to ensure each photo in a ballot was unique.

What if someone entered 5 times under different names and addresses but then got 5 tickets?!