2024 headline speculation

airwaves

17 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I’m strongly considering EOTR for the first time next year.

Headliners seem very difficult to predict, particularly this far out.  I would probably be more interested in the Garden headliners anyway given past line ups.  Big Thief would be good for me but who knows if they’ll be active next year.

Headliners I would like and that are at least semi realistic would be: Big Thief, FKA Twigs, Fever Ray, Anohni & The Johnsons, Pavement, Slowdive, Sharon Van Etten, Sleater-Kinney, Orbital, Mitski, Animal Collective. 

Acts I would love to see on the undercard: Lonnie Holley, Blue Lake, Lost Girls/Jenny Hval, Model/Actriz, Kelela, deathcrash, Colin Stetson, Brighde Chaimbeul, Ichiko Aoba, Oneohtrix Point Never, Tim Hecker, Lucinda Chua, Susanne Sundfor, Algiers, Billy Woods, Moor Mother, Blacks’ Myths, Taqbir, Maruja, Sprain, Kate NV/Decisive Pink, Joanna Sternberg, Old Saw, Marina Herlop, Tara Clerkin Trio, Joanne Robertson, Forest Swords, Blawan, upsammy, grouper, Natalia Lafoucarde, Mdou Moctar, Spellling, Backxwash, clipping., Jockstrap, Legss, Weyes Blood, Alvvays, Kero Kero Bonito, Gazelle Twin, Haru Nemuri, Anna Von Hausswolff, Japandroids, Hatchie and L’Rain.

Some excellent suggestions, except Animal Collective - they should never be invited back after stinking the place out when they headlined in 2016 - the only band I've ever given 0 out of 10 at EOTR!

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Some excellent suggestions, except Animal Collective - they should never be invited back after stinking the place out when they headlined in 2016 - the only band I've ever given 0 out of 10 at EOTR!

You really gave those back n forth harmonies 0 out of 10???? Wow........ personally, the best live vocals I've heard in the 4 EOTR I've been to.......... highlights 'one person's treasure is another person's trash' I guess 👍

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Acts I would love to see on the undercard: Lonnie Holley, Blue Lake, Lost Girls/Jenny Hval, Model/Actriz, Kelela, deathcrash, Colin Stetson, Brighde Chaimbeul, Ichiko Aoba, Oneohtrix Point Never, Tim Hecker, Lucinda Chua, Susanne Sundfor, Algiers, Billy Woods, Moor Mother, Blacks’ Myths, Taqbir, Maruja, Sprain, Kate NV/Decisive Pink, Joanna Sternberg, Old Saw, Marina Herlop, Tara Clerkin Trio, Joanne Robertson, Forest Swords, Blawan, upsammy, grouper, Natalia Lafoucarde, Mdou Moctar, Spellling, Backxwash, clipping., Jockstrap, Legss, Weyes Blood, Alvvays, Kero Kero Bonito, Gazelle Twin, Haru Nemuri, Anna Von Hausswolff, Japandroids, Hatchie and L’Rain.

Absolutely tons of great suggestions here, especially Ichiko Aoba, Moor Mother, Grouper, Mdou Moctar, Spellling, clipping., Haru Nemuri and Anna Von Hausswolff (plus the ones I also mentioned on my list).

5 hours ago, jplewes said:

Would be amazing, and Geoff was obviously here last year. Is there any reason for speculating that though other than hope? I guess Dummy will be 30 years next year... but they've done like 1 show in 8 years.

Pure hope! But I thought the programme said that EOTR started as an idea sat around a campfire in Glastonbury, and one of those bands playing Glasto back then had been secured for next year. I've since thrown the programme away so could be wrong. 

24 minutes ago, mcmenace said:

Pure hope! But I thought the programme said that EOTR started as an idea sat around a campfire in Glastonbury, and one of those bands playing Glasto back then had been secured for next year. I've since thrown the programme away so could be wrong. 

What it says is the very first post in this thread,

7 hours ago, Llamasausage said:

On headliners.

Not bothered else I would not have got tickets already, but talking generally .......

Please can we have a good set of headline acts on woods/garden that you can dance or jump around to. I'm not talking every single night on both, variety is great, and the best night I had this year was not that upbeat, but some years have struggled a bit in this department. This year got the mix bang on imo.

Plus less white male headliners. I see effort at EOTR compared to other festivals. Keep pushing please.

On the rest of the bill.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Those posting above with those humongous lists of acts. Genuine question. Where are you getting the info on these people? I recognize at best 1/4 of that long list. For me EOTR is a prime source of finding new-to-me music I like, but it would be great to expand my horizons a bit more.

For new acts I use Bandcamp a lot. In fact if someone isn't on there I'm immediately suspicious as to why! One good way on there is to follow record labels so you get notifications whenever anything on that label is released.

Also listening to NTS opens me up to a lot of music from all styles.

Otherwise it's word of mouth from friends, going to a lot of gigs and making sure I watch all the support bands and checking out line ups for festivals and things I'm not going to.

1 hour ago, benali said:

For new acts I use Bandcamp a lot. In fact if someone isn't on there I'm immediately suspicious as to why! One good way on there is to follow record labels so you get notifications whenever anything on that label is released.

Also listening to NTS opens me up to a lot of music from all styles.

Otherwise it's word of mouth from friends, going to a lot of gigs and making sure I watch all the support bands and checking out line ups for festivals and things I'm not going to.

NTS 👏🏻👏🏻 also The Lot Radio 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

The use of 'seeds' feels very odd. It's not a common term

Gotta be Nick Cave

"Planting the seeds" referring to coming up with the idea for something that turns out to be successful is a relatively common term. Although I suppose by now reading too much into wording/graphics is an EOTR tradition ("three question marks so it can only be Boygenius" etc)

Anyway, this time last year I put together a list of who had pulled out of the festival since 2020 and not visited since, so while some of these probably don't matter any more I may as well update that:

First announced for 2020: Ahmed Fakroun, Alice Boman, Andy Shauf, Big Thief, Blanck Mass (may be on hold as he's joined Editors), Buck Meek, Current Joys, David Thomas Broughton, Disq, Ian Noe, Itasca, Jeffrey Martin, Makaya McCraven, Monophonics, Nadia Reid, Pinegrove, Richard Hawley, Shygirl, Sofia Wolfson, Songhoy Blues, Tenesha The Wordsmith, Vagabon, Whitney, Zulu Zulu

First announced for 2021: Altin Gun, Frances Quinlan, Julianna Barwick, Kate Bollinger, Les Amazones d’Afrique, Les Filles De Illighadad (currently on pause), Margaret Glaspy, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Star Feminine Band, Tune-Yards

First announced for 2022: Buffalo Nichols, Emma-Jean Thackray, Gabriels, Joanna Sternberg, Kareem Ali, Moor Mother, Nala Sinephro, Spirit Of The Beehive

First announced for 2023: Ela Minus, Heartworms, Laundromat, MC Yallah & Debmaster, Wunderhorse

3 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Anyway, this time last year I put together a list of who had pulled out of the festival since 2020 and not visited since, so while some of these probably don't matter any more I may as well update that:

First announced for 2020: Ahmed Fakroun, Alice Boman, Andy Shauf, Big Thief, Blanck Mass (may be on hold as he's joined Editors), Buck Meek, Current Joys, David Thomas Broughton, Disq, Ian Noe, Itasca, Jeffrey Martin, Makaya McCraven, Monophonics, Nadia Reid, Pinegrove, Richard Hawley, Shygirl, Sofia Wolfson, Songhoy Blues, Tenesha The Wordsmith, Vagabon, Whitney, Zulu Zulu

First announced for 2021: Altin Gun, Frances Quinlan, Julianna Barwick, Kate Bollinger, Les Amazones d’Afrique, Les Filles De Illighadad (currently on pause), Margaret Glaspy, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Star Feminine Band, Tune-Yards

First announced for 2022: Buffalo Nichols, Emma-Jean Thackray, Gabriels, Joanna Sternberg, Kareem Ali, Moor Mother, Nala Sinephro, Spirit Of The Beehive

First announced for 2023: Ela Minus, Heartworms, Laundromat, MC Yallah & Debmaster, Wunderhorse

Would love for the following to be re-booked:

Andy Shauf, Big Thief, Ian Noe, Makaya McCraven, Monophonics, Songhoy Blues, Altin Gun, Julianna Barwick, Les Amazones d’Afrique, Rolling Blackouts, Star Feminine Band, Buffalo Nichols, EJ Thackray, Moor Mother, Nala Sinephro, MC Yallah.

Prediction time then! Partially also a wishlist because I'd be happy with all these acts.

Woods headliners:

The Decemberists (Thurs)
Young Fathers
Big Thief
ANOHNI and the Johnsons

Woods subs:

Songhoy Blues
Jockstrap
Alvvays

Garden headliners:

Lankum
Osees
Kings of Convenience

Edited by ljsawyer
  • Like 1

If Fever Ray is active again next year (unfortunately I think they probably won't be) they would be such a perfect headliner for EotR. I'm hoping Big Thief finally come back around as well as that's long overdue.

I don't think Nick Cave is completely out of the question - it'd be a big get for them but is within plausibility, imo. I'd say the Vampire Weekend booking from a few years ago is a comparable sort of thing. The National seems a bit more of a stretch but not impossible either. With both those acts if they're looking for a UK festival to headline their options are actually fairly limited, it's why they've both done repeat bookings at All Points East in recent years, and it's plausible they'd be looking for something a little different next time around.

On 9/9/2023 at 5:43 AM, ljsawyer said:

Prediction time then! Partially also a wishlist because I'd be happy with all these acts.

Woods headliners:

The Decemberists (Thurs)
Young Fathers
Big Thief
ANOHNI and the Johnsons

Woods subs:

Songhoy Blues
Jockstrap
Alvvays

Garden headliners:

Lankum
Osees
Kings of Convenience

I want to go to this.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, bloodborne said:

If Fever Ray is active again next year (unfortunately I think they probably won't be) they would be such a perfect headliner for EotR.

Think they're more suited to Green Man (though I know they were over for GM this year and didn't do it), if not headlining than maybe the post-headliner Far Out slot that Bicep and Confidence Man have done in the last couple of years. EOTR doesn't have a history of straight-up electronic headliners, when they've done so it's been more approachable crossovers like Metronomy and Hot Chip. It's kind of the same reason why I can't right now imagine Little Simz headlining Green Man.

I’ve seen PJ Harvey mentioned a few times on this thread.

Quite a few years ago (2012 I think) when (arguably) her currency was bigger than now she played a headline slot at Camp Bestival but on the 2nd stage (a big top) which from memory held 6,000 people (May have been 10,000?).

One of the reasons for her doing it given by the organisers was it was local.

So, she’s not averse to doing ‘smaller’ festival slots in the Dorset / Hampshire area. Or she wasn’t back then. 

On Big Thief, by all accounts they said when they wrapped up their US tour in early August that it would be their last gig for a year. How you take that depends on how scrupulously accurate the statement is, it sounds like once Buck is back from the European tour they're going to spend a while writing and recording so you can imagine they might come over at the end of August for EOTR, a couple of Euro festivals, maybe an APE support slot, and then get the new album cycle underway.

What has been all but confirmed is Adrianne is releasing a solo album soonish - I wonder if it's possible she might do it first  (jnstead?) and if so where she might play.

On 9/11/2023 at 7:45 PM, rseamer said:

I’ve seen PJ Harvey mentioned a few times on this thread.

Quite a few years ago (2012 I think) when (arguably) her currency was bigger than now she played a headline slot at Camp Bestival but on the 2nd stage (a big top) which from memory held 6,000 people (May have been 10,000?).

One of the reasons for her doing it given by the organisers was it was local.

So, she’s not averse to doing ‘smaller’ festival slots in the Dorset / Hampshire area. Or she wasn’t back then. 

last time she was touring about 5 or 8  years ago, she headlined glasto's other stage, that was probably same year she did camp bestival.

13 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

She didn't, she subbed it in 2016.

the photo tell me that was the year i was thinking (i was there), was sure she headlined, just checked and you're right,she subbed lcd soundsystem.

• Upvote 1

On 9/15/2023 at 1:23 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

On Big Thief, by all accounts they said when they wrapped up their US tour in early August that it would be their last gig for a year. How you take that depends on how scrupulously accurate the statement is, it sounds like once Buck is back from the European tour they're going to spend a while writing and recording so you can imagine they might come over at the end of August for EOTR, a couple of Euro festivals, maybe an APE support slot, and then get the new album cycle underway.

What has been all but confirmed is Adrianne is releasing a solo album soonish - I wonder if it's possible she might do it first  (jnstead?) and if so where she might play.

Adrianne has a solo LP coming out in the New Year. She is also playing a festival in March in the US so i think we can expect more shows in the first 6 months of 2024 to promote this..

Just to confirm the OP, Big Thief have been building a studio with a view to writing/recording a new LP (completely new material, none of which has been played live before) this summer.

I took the "year off" quote (which Buck has recently reiterated) to mean the whole of 2024, but I suppose if the next LP is finished by August they could fit in a few festival dates.