2024 headline speculation

airwaves

14 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Might as well use this as a general 2024 wishlist thread. Going to focus on acts which have released an album this year. I've really enjoyed all of the following over the past 8 months and could definitely see at least a few of them making an appearance next year:

Dougie Poole
The Clientele
Billy Woods & Kenny Segal
Dudu Tassa & Johnny Greenwood
Colin Stetson
Young Fathers
Kelela
Tim Hecker
Model/Actriz
Lankum
Andy Shauf
Fever Ray
REZN
ANOHNI and the Johnsons
The Lemon Twigs
Susanne Sundfør
The Canyon Observer
Gia Margaret
The Tubs
Rắn Cạp Đuôi
Lucy Liyou
Hayden Pedigo
Home Is Where
Loopsel
Maya Ongaku
Terje Torkellsen
The Reds, Pinks & Purples
Nuovo Testamento
Rose City Band
Andrea
Sluice
Celestaphone
Flyying Colours
Ayano Kaneko

I'd buy a ticket for that. Some quality names on there, happy to see Loopsel who I really like.

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

hehe, fair point. kept an eye out for you over the weekend, but alas to no avail. You enjoy yourself?

I was scanning every crowd I was in for you, but I was also wellied non stop haha

Line up underpowered but it's a wonderful place. The peaks were very high. We're big campervan converts

The thing about The National is that they play similar sized shows in Europe (actually co-headlined one with Wilco last year), 2xAlly Pally is 20k Vs what 17k eotr(?), they were on the previously posted list which triggered this debate and in the context of Simon stating that the booking has already been made for next year, they do festival rounds so would be in the further stages of planning than say a Bonnie Prince Billy. It seems a stretch but not a huge stretch.

That said, I don't give a toss about The National so if people say it is not going to happen, fair enough.

Edit to say that I'm also interested in the point made by SweepingTheNation on where they go next. This lineup moved them closer to the experimentalism of popular Euro city festivals like Rewire and Le Guess Who. I'm just not sure how much that was a conscious decision or the result of Supersonic/Manchester Psych Fest falling on the same weekend?

Edited by noisenoiseandmorenoise

1 hour ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Edit to say that I'm also interested in the point made by SweepingTheNation on where they go next. This lineup moved them closer to the experimentalism of popular Euro city festivals like Rewire and Le Guess Who. I'm just not sure how much that was a conscious decision or the result of Supersonic/Manchester Psych Fest falling on the same weekend?

Supersonic's change of weekend especially helped a lot, but then I think some of the bill was edging that way anyway - Divide & Dissolve were booked for 2020 and there were a few underground hip-hop acts down the line-up that year too as well as Little Simz, who was an unexpected and slightly risky booking herself (I know they nearly got her in 2019) What I'd be interested in seeing is if they bite the bullet and book some bigger outre names to show it's not just the 6 Music Dad gathering of unfortunate cliche, though obviously there's a limit both in terms of size and style as to what kind of bigger names Simon would pursue.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Agreed - it's the best ambient album I've heard in quite some time. So serene and moving.

Last night Gia told us this was the first time she'd sung for anyone in 4 years (it was a hesitant performance) after vocal problems a few years back led to cancelling all tours. She said she'd turned down lots of festivals, will guess including EOTR, due in part to difficulties in recreating the records live.

I appreciate this might rub some people up the wrong way and isn't the size of some of the bands referenced on this thread but... Dry Cleaning for headliner?

Last time I saw them they'd sold out Stylus, which Unknown Mortal Orchestra also played in Leeds this summer. I feel like level of venue wise it might be close to where Amyl are (I think they came through Stylus too last year), which is slightly over reading into Simon's comments on the latter potentially but still. 

They could be on a third album by the time EOTR 2024 comes around, they played some pretty big stages across this summer, hugely popular in the Big Top the other year. Could be the right profile?

19 minutes ago, jplewes said:

I appreciate this might rub some people up the wrong way and isn't the size of some of the bands referenced on this thread but... Dry Cleaning for headliner?

Last time I saw them they'd sold out Stylus, which Unknown Mortal Orchestra also played in Leeds this summer. I feel like level of venue wise it might be close to where Amyl are (I think they came through Stylus too last year), which is slightly over reading into Simon's comments on the latter potentially but still. 

They could be on a third album by the time EOTR 2024 comes around, they played some pretty big stages across this summer, hugely popular in the Big Top the other year. Could be the right profile?

Not for the Woods headliner, but they will certainly be given a shot at the Garden Stage before long.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jplewes said:

Dry Cleaning were one of my euphoric highlights of the first post-Covid EOTR in 2021, but I found that second album lightweight and can't really be bothered waiting through filler for 3 year old classics, unless they do surprise with that third album.

• Upvote 1

On headliners.

Not bothered else I would not have got tickets already, but talking generally .......

Please can we have a good set of headline acts on woods/garden that you can dance or jump around to. I'm not talking every single night on both, variety is great, and the best night I had this year was not that upbeat, but some years have struggled a bit in this department. This year got the mix bang on imo.

Plus less white male headliners. I see effort at EOTR compared to other festivals. Keep pushing please.

On the rest of the bill.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Those posting above with those humongous lists of acts. Genuine question. Where are you getting the info on these people? I recognize at best 1/4 of that long list. For me EOTR is a prime source of finding new-to-me music I like, but it would be great to expand my horizons a bit more.

Edited by Llamasausage

42 minutes ago, Llamasausage said:

On headliners.

Not bothered else I would not have got tickets already, but talking generally .......

Please can we have a good set of headline acts on woods/garden that you can dance or jump around to. I'm not talking every single night on both, variety is great, and the best night I had this year was not that upbeat, but some years have struggled a bit in this department. This year got the mix bang on imo.

Plus less white male headliners. I see effort at EOTR compared to other festivals. Keep pushing please.

On the rest of the bill.

Those posting above with those humongous lists of acts. Genuine question. Where are you getting the info on these people? I recognize at best 1/4 of that long list. For me EOTR is a prime source of finding new-to-me music I like, but it would be great to expand my horizons a bit more.

For expanding your horizons musically,  the Quietus is an excellent website 

Edited by wolfamongwolves

54 minutes ago, Llamasausage said:

On headliners.

On the rest of the bill.

Also Loud and Quiet 

1 hour ago, Llamasausage said:

I’m the guy that posted the massive list, so just thought I’d share my usual methods for discovering new music:

1) Sign up for an account on the website RateYourMusic.com. This is how I discover probably 75% of the new music I listen to nowadays. I like to work my way through their yearly charts and filter by genres that interest me, so it’s easy to find e.g. the highest community-rated post-punk albums of 2023. The genres get super specific, so if you’re a big industrial metal or ambient americana fan, it should be pretty straightforward to find albums that you’re likely to enjoy.

2) Follow Earfeeder on Instagram. They haven’t posted since May for some reason, but they usually do these fantastic round-ups of the best albums released each month in a variety of genres.

3) Follow the weekly new releases threads on the DrownedInSound forum.

4) Check out other festival line-ups. I like to look at Le Guess Who? for inspiration, as their line-up is always super diverse and genre-bending.

Edited by ljsawyer

12 minutes ago, ljsawyer said:

I’m the guy that posted the massive list, so just thought I’d share my usual methods for discovering new music:

1) Sign up for an account on the website RateYourMusic.com. This is how I discover probably 75% of the new music I listen to nowadays. I like to work my way through their yearly charts and filter by genres that interest me, so it’s easy to find e.g. the highest community-rated post-punk albums of 2023. The genres get super specific, so if you’re a big industrial metal or ambient americana fan, it should be pretty straightforward to find albums that you’re likely to enjoy.

2) Follow Earfeeder on Instagram. They haven’t posted since May for some reason, but they usually do these fantastic round-ups of the best albums released each month in a variety of genres.

3) Follow the weekly new releases threads on the DrownedInSound forum.

4) Check out other festival line-ups. I like to look at Le Guess Who? for inspiration, as their line-up is always super diverse and genre-bending.

👏🏻👏🏻 I do all the above 

On 9/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, jplewes said:

They're a bit too one-note really without having that many hits. They'd also be better in the Big Top I reckon. Wouldn't work as well (and not really a fan) outdoors. 

6 minutes ago, Jeel said:

They're a bit too one-note really without having that many hits. They'd also be better in the Big Top I reckon. Wouldn't work as well (and not really a fan) outdoors. 

I take the point (and the other above) might not fit for Woods but I don't see a problem with the Garden or outside generally tbh. There are plenty of bands that are a bit one note that have done good sets on the Garden. Plus I thought they were pretty decent outdoors at Primavera, played West Holts at Glasto and have had a good festival run.

Edited by jplewes

I’m strongly considering EOTR for the first time next year.

Headliners seem very difficult to predict, particularly this far out.  I would probably be more interested in the Garden headliners anyway given past line ups.  Big Thief would be good for me but who knows if they’ll be active next year.

Headliners I would like and that are at least semi realistic would be: Big Thief, FKA Twigs, Fever Ray, Anohni & The Johnsons, Pavement, Slowdive, Sharon Van Etten, Sleater-Kinney, Orbital, Mitski, Animal Collective. 

Acts I would love to see on the undercard: Lonnie Holley, Blue Lake, Lost Girls/Jenny Hval, Model/Actriz, Kelela, deathcrash, Colin Stetson, Brighde Chaimbeul, Ichiko Aoba, Oneohtrix Point Never, Tim Hecker, Lucinda Chua, Susanne Sundfor, Algiers, Billy Woods, Moor Mother, Blacks’ Myths, Taqbir, Maruja, Sprain, Kate NV/Decisive Pink, Joanna Sternberg, Old Saw, Marina Herlop, Tara Clerkin Trio, Joanne Robertson, Forest Swords, Blawan, upsammy, grouper, Natalia Lafoucarde, Mdou Moctar, Spellling, Backxwash, clipping., Jockstrap, Legss, Weyes Blood, Alvvays, Kero Kero Bonito, Gazelle Twin, Haru Nemuri, Anna Von Hausswolff, Japandroids, Hatchie and L’Rain.

• Upvote 2