2024 headline speculation

airwaves

In the "Welcome" message at the front of this year's - 2023 - programme (£15!!!), Simon Taffe says

"The original seeds.... naming our dream headliners (a list we still work on to this day)..... already excited about next year, as one of those artists will be playing."

Speculation as to who? 

Anyone recall a Simon "list" from the early days? 

16 minutes ago, Chough said:

He did a 6Music playlist recently and mentioned Devendra Banhart as someone he'd tried to get when they launched.

He played in 2016. If he's excited enough to be talking about it a year in advance it's someone who won't have played before.

In the very early days EOTR's Myspace had a dream bookings list in its sidebar - I tried to find it once but it's not on Wayback Machine and although I'm sure someone did once reprint the list I can't see anything in the search.

42 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

In the very early days EOTR's Myspace had a dream bookings list in its sidebar - I tried to find it once but it's not on Wayback Machine and although I'm sure someone did once reprint the list I can't see anything in the search.

I was wrong! http://web.archive.org/web/20060407135206/http://www.endoftheroadfestival.com/wishlist.html

From a quick look through, these are potential 2024 headliners who have never played: Beck, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Arcade Fire, ANONHI and the Johnsons, Black Keys, The National, Sleater-Kinney, Four Tet, LCD Soundsystem, Regina Spektor

1 hour ago, airwaves said:

In the "Welcome" message at the front of this year's - 2023 - programme (£15!!!), Simon Taffe says

"The original seeds.... naming our dream headliners (a list we still work on to this day)..... already excited about next year, as one of those artists will be playing."

Speculation as to who? 

Anyone recall a Simon "list" from the early days? 

Seeds? Nick cave

13 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I was wrong! http://web.archive.org/web/20060407135206/http://www.endoftheroadfestival.com/wishlist.html

From a quick look through, these are potential 2024 headliners who have never played: Beck, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Arcade Fire, ANONHI and the Johnsons, Black Keys, The National, Sleater-Kinney, Four Tet, LCD Soundsystem, Regina Spektor

Thanks for that, even though it doesn't exactly narrow it down. 

15 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Most of those artists are a bit too big for EOTR now I think, at least if we’re measuring them against the size of the headliners in recent years.

ANOHNI and the Johnsons seems the most likely, which I’d be really pleased with as the new album is amazing.

7 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Just seen the full list - Kings of Convenience would also be wonderful as a headliner. And I’m not sure how likely this is given that they don’t seem to have played in the UK since 2001, but an appearance by Bob Hund on the line-up would make my year.

They played some outstore gigs a couple of years ago in support of the latest album. Wasn't a full gig as such but they did over 45 minutes which was decent.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:45 AM, SweepingTheNation said:

Funnily enough I heard 'All My Friends' being played as between-acts tunes at both The Woods and The Garden Stage this year.  Not sure if they both just run from the same playlist or was it a subliminal message! 

Much as I'd love to see them there, I think Arcade Fire and The National are possibly too big for EOTR now, but never say never. 

2 minutes ago, LowerMead said:

Funnily enough I heard 'All My Friends' being played as between-acts tunes at both The Woods and The Garden Stage this year.  Not sure if they both just run from the same playlist or was it a subliminal message! 

Much as I'd love to see them there, I think Arcade Fire and The National are possibly too big for EOTR now, but never say never. 

I dont think arcade fire would be welcome for obvious reasons 

1 hour ago, LowerMead said:

I think most of them would be too big, really. The only ones from my list I can really imagine possibly playing in 2024 are Beck, ANONHI and Sleater-Kinney - even Four Tet is likely out of their range now he's headlining Coachella with Fred and Skrillex.

Well for me personally, please not The Black Keys who did the worst headline set I've ever seen (at Latitude).  And would be interesting to look who has headlined the G

Garden Stage or sub-headed Woods previously and could now be ready to step up as Future Islands did this year.

16 minutes ago, homesick said:

I think this thread is filled with a lot of optimism/delusion given the declining size of artists headlining the festival

There's approximately zero chance Arcade Fire, The National or Nick Cave are headlining in 2024

There was zero chance of them playing at any time in the festival's history on current size.

Potential 2024 headliners who have never played: Beck, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Arcade Fire, ANONHI and the Johnsons, Black Keys, The National, Sleater-Kinney, Four Tet, LCD Soundsystem, Regina Spektor

Four Tet, PJ would be absolutely mega. Another turn around the Woods for Sufjan too, maybe?

Off-topic but at 58 I realise I have (genuinely) no idea at all who is a "big" act these days. (I always assumed that David Thomas Broughton was the biggest act). Is there an official list ?

My 22 year old had seen King Giz the night before in Manchester and tells me they're massive and couldn't believe EOTR had them, or that we had "Currents" year Tame Impala in 2015 (and Sufjan that year). 

I've never bothered with the headliners, they often seem well past their peak, but there does seem to have been less well-known names this year.

Might as well use this as a general 2024 wishlist thread. Going to focus on acts which have released an album this year. I've really enjoyed all of the following over the past 8 months and could definitely see at least a few of them making an appearance next year:

Dougie Poole
The Clientele
Billy Woods & Kenny Segal
Dudu Tassa & Johnny Greenwood
Colin Stetson
Young Fathers
Kelela
Tim Hecker
Model/Actriz
Lankum
Andy Shauf
Fever Ray
REZN
ANOHNI and the Johnsons
The Lemon Twigs
Susanne Sundfør
The Canyon Observer
Gia Margaret
The Tubs
Rắn Cạp Đuôi
Lucy Liyou
Hayden Pedigo
Home Is Where
Loopsel
Maya Ongaku
Terje Torkellsen
The Reds, Pinks & Purples
Nuovo Testamento
Rose City Band
Andrea
Sluice
Celestaphone
Flyying Colours
Ayano Kaneko

2 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Might as well use this as a general 2024 wishlist thread. Going to focus on acts which have released an album this year. I've really enjoyed all of the following over the past 8 months and could definitely see at least a few of them making an appearance next year:

Dougie Poole
The Clientele
Billy Woods & Kenny Segal
Dudu Tassa & Johnny Greenwood
Colin Stetson
Young Fathers
Kelela
Tim Hecker
Model/Actriz
Lankum
Andy Shauf
Fever Ray
REZN
ANOHNI and the Johnsons
The Lemon Twigs
Susanne Sundfør
The Canyon Observer
Gia Margaret
The Tubs
Rắn Cạp Đuôi
Lucy Liyou
Hayden Pedigo
Home Is Where
Loopsel
Maya Ongaku
Terje Torkellsen
The Reds, Pinks & Purples
Nuovo Testamento
Rose City Band
Andrea
Sluice
Celestaphone
Flyying Colours
Ayano Kaneko

Yeah I'm hoping for The Reds, Pinks and Purples...he says he's touring the UK next year so hopefully he'll come late summer. A nice afternoon slot in the folly or opening the garden 

28 minutes ago, domjon said:

Yeah I'm hoping for The Reds, Pinks and Purples...he says he's touring the UK next year so hopefully he'll come late summer. A nice afternoon slot in the folly or opening the garden 

Ooh, where did you read that he's planning to tour the UK next year? An early afternoon slot would be perfect - I can already picture 'Let's Pretend We're Not in Love' floating across the Garden Stage area.