So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

At some point my brain is going to say no that’s it you can’t party anymore. 

Until that day though I’m going to enjoy myself as long as my body can handle the physical abuse I inflict on it at a festival. 

The fitness training I do to make sure my body is festival ready is probably the healthiest thing I do all year and keeps me motivated to stay in shape. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

At some point my brain is going to say no that’s it you can’t party anymore. 

or like me - my body said it before my mind did.

There’s only one issue for me, that’s managing the drive to and from the festival. Despite leaving early Monday morning before any real queues, it still took me 10 hours to get home. Mainly due to a serious incident on the M6, but also an hour’s sleep en route and dropping off friends. I’m not doing that again, I’m going to break the journey home with a stop over.

I’m older than most on here but more determined than ever to continue! With a change in what I do at the festival I cope without a problem. Having a CV, drinking very moderately, mainly avoiding the masses - except for Elton - and a good sleep works a treat.

18 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

There’s only one issue for me, that’s managing the drive to and from the festival. Despite leaving early Monday morning before any real queues, it still took me 10 hours to get home. Mainly due to a serious incident on the M6, but also an hour’s sleep en route and dropping off friends. I’m not doing that again, I’m going to break the journey home with a stop over.

I’m older than most on here but more determined than ever to continue! With a change in what I do at the festival I cope without a problem. Having a CV, drinking very moderately, mainly avoiding the masses - except for Elton - and a good sleep works a treat.

We got caught in that too - 12 hours to get home! 

I've done 12 over 20 years. Every year since '17 has been "my last" but this time I do feel at peace and able to stick to it.

I physically and mentally coped better this year than I have in forever. I'm fitter. Nothing went wrong. Even the sh*tty bits (shoutout to the gate A zig-zags on Wed morning and the hellish heat) were easier this time purely cos I've had it so much worse before. And I think it's gonna be a long (long) time before there's another Moment like Elton's set. It's time.

Undecided, but only because of having a child now not because of the festival

After last year I was preparing myself for this one being my last. Thankfully the absolute mess that was last year didn't happen again this year so for me the festival was back on form. Coke being everywhere is a PITA at the minute but it'll probably pass and a more festival friendly drug will come back in style.

If we can arrange babysitting I'd be back in, but I just don't enjoy it as much when you've got a kid, much more exhausting and generally less enjoyable so definitely our last until they're a bit older. Well, not definitely, let's see what he's like this time next year 😬

Edit to add this was my 11th, so definitely a bit of being jaded / wanting to try other festivals creeping in as well

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN

On 7/6/2023 at 11:52 PM, cidy said:

So this yer was my 25th glasto and have decided thats me lot, i admit i have retired from going more times than sinatra announced  he retired from touring ,but times are a changing .

Enjoyed this year immensely but the buzz seems to have gone so at 60 seems a good time to quit ( remember my late dad saying when i was 40 ,"dont you think its time you gave up Glastonbury,")  over the years both my kids have gone and finally mrs cidy made it twice .

It is truly a magical place and i have plenty of fantasic memories and will look forward to watching it on tv next yer in me garden

Finally got to see cat Stevens so not a bad way to bow out.

Peace and lurv ppl

P.s

Off to hyde park tomorrow for billy joel another tick off me bucket list .

I said this to myself last year. Didn’t go this year. Didn’t bother me in the slightest til the week before and especially during. Getting back on the horse next year, tickets permitting. Been every one since 2003 bar this year 

Edited by deardo

In my 50's, first one in 2004 and only missed 2 (by choice after each of the kids) since then so next Yr would be 20 yrs since we first went. Definitely not ready to give it up yet, took our 16 yr old this Yr for the 1st time and seeing it through his eyes brought the magic in a different way. Have the fear for October but I will be F 5ing with the rest.

5 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

For the past few festivals we have stayed locally before and after it. Left the town on tuesday  and then had another night in a M6 travelodge at Knutsford. Did the same on the way down.  The long drive especially after the festival is a killer. So much more easy breaking the journey if you have the time. Booked well in advance the travelodges are pretty cheap. 

• Upvote 1

Well, my first Glastonbury was 1981 & I went as a punter on & off until 2007 when I started working there until present day. Had my 70th birthday this year...Love the festival but am saddened how corporate & overcrowded it has become - & the slogan Leave No Trace - is an absolute farce in the modern era. I cannot believe how much rubbish is left & just proves to me that the modern festival goer is more selfish & uncaring than they ever were back in the day. I walked across the Pyramid Stage field to have a quiet moment at Woodies on the Sunday night after the stage had closed & you literally could not see the ground for rubbish left. So depressing. Thankfully there is still respite & reward up in the Greenfield sites - & in the Tiny Tea Tent of course 🙂

So, I think it's finally time to hang up the boots & call it a day - 2022 &2023 festivals have left me with a feeling of sadness - probably entirely peculiar to myself - & at my age I'm beginning to feel more like an imposter.... Thank you Glastonbury for everything & long may you continue....

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, AV81 said:2022 &2023 festivals have left me with a feeling of sadness - probably entirely peculiar to myself - & at my age I'm beginning to feel more like an imposter.... Thank you Glastonbury for everything & long may you continue....

I’m starting to get this feeling myself, still think I’ve a couple more years left in me though.  Ticket gods willing, obvs…

It is highly likely that I'll never attend again. I don't even think that there's one last fandango left in me in order to do so. My last attendance was all the way back in 2014. I still enter competitions to go though, on the chance that fate dictates that I do. Other than that, then it's time for me to admit that the spurs were hung up in 2014.