Other Festivals

StuwieG

3 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I volunteered at Shambala last year.  Very nice site and excellent food, but music-wise I wasn't impressed.

Last year was poor on the main stage (IMO), but plenty of late night gems, esp in Roots Yard, dependent on your taste of course.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Last year was poor on the main stage (IMO), but plenty of late night gems, esp in Roots Yard, dependent on your taste of course.

I liked Mohamed Errebbaa (gnawa music), who I think was at Roots Yard.

Bearded Theory and Beautiful Days are the others I would highly recommend.

Latitude I would avoid like the plague. In my experience it was soulless, snooty clientele and they were obsessed with bag searches in case anyone actually managed to sneak a drink in instead of drinking their highly prices generic drinks. Truly the worst festival ever attended.

14 minutes ago, Popsider75 said:

Latitude I would avoid like the plague. In my experience it was soulless, snooty clientele and they were obsessed with bag searches in case anyone actually managed to sneak a drink in instead of drinking their highly prices generic drinks. Truly the worst festival ever attended.

Latitude has no edge at all, sh*t for dance etc but its a nice atmosphere, friendly crowd. i'd go again with the right lineup

44 minutes ago, Popsider75 said:

Latitude often has a great line up and has all the ingredients of a great festival but ‘soulless’ is the right word for it. I’m sure loads of people have a great time there, but it’s very much not Glastonbury! 

Greenman for me is becoming preferable to Glastonbury. 

Doesn't have the giant feel but does have nice little areas, seems much less commercial (crap beer, rows of shops selling tat etc.) and for me has an excellent line up for a festival it's size year on year 

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN

16 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If I dont get a glastonbury ticket next year, I debating Rock Wertcher... I dont know anyone who's been though.

I just did Rock Werchter this last weekend and it's a really good festival. Amazing to see so many great bands for the same price as a R and L ticket. Also it's organised really nicely however there wasn't all too much to do other than the music compared to what I'd expect from Glasto (Which was fine for me because I was seeing around 7 bands a day) 

Edited by AlexR

Another recommendation for Sziget. I’ve done it a few times now. They’ve trimmed it down from the full 7 day marathon it used to be but still a fantastic vibe there. 

They are going more down the pre booked camping route which is fine for most as it’s a very international crowd so taking your own tent is optional. If you do take your own it’s got to be Fresh and Black or you will be cooked alive. 

Beer as mentioned is nice and cheap and being able to buy ice cold unopened cans from a bar is a game changer. 

They’re set up for the heat as they have massive water spray cannons at the main stage but if you don’t like dust in your lungs I’d give it a miss. 

Being able to take a break in the city for a quick spa session or chill on the beach at the top of the island gives the festival a unique selling point. 

14 minutes ago, Tom White said:

As others have said it's really difficult to compare anything to The Farm. Depends what you're after I guess. 

It's actually impossible, but that's entirely down to scale.

All of the smaller events mentioned have some element(s) of Glastonbury and several of them have a much friendlier and more aware crowd when taken as a whole.

Just now, Skip997 said:

It's actually impossible, but that's entirely down to scale.

All of the smaller events mentioned have some element(s) of Glastonbury and several of them have a much friendlier and more aware crowd when taken as a whole.

Agree. I always tell people "if you've been to other festivals, but not The Farm, it's impossible to explain The Farm". 

1 hour ago, AlexR said:

I just did Rock Werchter this last weekend and it's a really good festival. Amazing to see so many great bands for the same price as a R and L ticket. Also it's organised really nicely however there wasn't all too much to do other than the music compared to what I'd expect from Glasto (Which was fine for me because I was seeing around 7 bands a day) 

What was the script re After parties etc? I see some DJs playing, but not on the line up?

1 minute ago, Tom White said:

Agree. I always tell people "if you've been to other festivals, but not The Farm, it's impossible to explain The Farm". 

I always tell people "if you've been to other festivals (inc Glastonbury), but not Shambala, it's impossible to explain Shambala".

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

What was the script re After parties etc? I see some DJs playing, but not on the line up?

I think it depends on the campsite you stay at, we stayed at the Hive (the main campsite) which has early Wednesday entry and there was a big tent with a DJ on each night until around half 3

11 hours ago, stereodista said:

Went once, in 2008, and I must admit there’s nothing much that would get me going back there again. Very little to do away from the stages, and felt like four days of Hyde Park. Line up was stacked that year but even then, was only really any good on paper. 

Snap! I went in 2008 as well (2007 at Glasto just traumatised me and I needed a break and at least a chance of being dry for some of the festival!). R.E.M., Radiohead and Neil Young as the headliners was enough to convince our entire Glasto gang to come along as well. It’s grand, the music needs to be good as there’s feck all else to do. Campsites are good though and transport within Belgium is great. Haven’t been back, but wouldn’t completely rule it out. Never want to see that cherry beer again though! 

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Prodigy for Boomtown - soooo tempted..

Have you been before? If you haven’t and are tempted, just do it. Everyone should do Boomtown at least once, even if you hate it, you’ll know you’ve experienced something that’s very else! 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Nal said:

Must check out Green Man. Hear nothing but good things. 

End of the Road a solid fixture in my calender these days. Great vibe and lineup to discover and you can bring your own booze. Nice size too. Can get anywhere in a couple of minutes.

Haven’t made it over to EOTR, but like Green Man, heard nothing but good things about it. Have you made it down to ATN yet? Old school picnic vibes. Chapter 1 was pretty idyllic. Chapter 2 traffic was chaotic and there were feckin’ wasps everywhere, but was still great. Last year pretty smooth all round (though those in boutique camping were a little peeved I gather. Teething problems for a new festival, but looks like they are ironing out the kinks year on year. It’s a fixture for us now. 

22 hours ago, Chip Batch said:

I'm going End of the Road again this year. Not really like Glastonbury as it's very small (around 15,000 people). Really nice site though with the Garden Stage area and peacocks roaming around. You can get between stages really quickly. Loads of the usual Glastonbury food traders there including the cider bus. It is technically an arena but you can take as much booze as you want in and out as long as it's not in glass so you can save a load of money on that.

It's all very relaxed in comparison to Glastonbury but stuff goes on until about 3am - silent disco, a DJ area (boat) in the woods, small secret gigs in the tipi tent, cinema and a karaoke place. There's nothing there like Silver Hayes or the SE corner though.

This sounds promising. Taking my son there this year.