Other Festivals

StuwieG

I’ve done Glasto loads and I know there’s nothing else like it, but wondering what other festivals have the same sort of vibe? 

Only been to a few others but they all seem to be you camp outside the festival, can’t take your own ale in, music stops at 12/1 am etc with a few main stages and not much else going on. 

Is Glasto a one off or are there other similar smaller festivals? I’m not overly bothered about the lineup 

16 minutes ago, StuwieG said:

I’ve done Glasto loads and I know there’s nothing else like it, but wondering what other festivals have the same sort of vibe? 

Only been to a few others but they all seem to be you camp outside the festival, can’t take your own ale in, music stops at 12/1 am etc with a few main stages and not much else going on. 

Is Glasto a one off or are there other similar smaller festivals? I’m not overly bothered about the lineup 

Sziget off a lot of these points except bringing alcohol in (its like £2 a pint though)

i've done it and its pretty different (absolute marathon too!)

Edited by gfa

4 minutes ago, StuwieG said:

The answer I expected 😬

It may be the expected answer but it 's not true. There are other festivals with a similar vibe and atmosphere, albeit not on the same scale. Bearded Theory is an obvious one, I would argue Beautiful Days too. Not been to Shambala or Boomtown but I suspect there are people on here who would recommend those too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It may be the expected answer but it 's not true. There are other festivals with a similar vibe and atmosphere, albeit not on the same scale. Bearded Theory is an obvious one, I would argue Beautiful Days too. Not been to Shambala or Boomtown but I suspect there are people on here who would recommend those too.

Agree. Glastonbury is unique but bearded is a great smaller festival. Tiny in comparison but a great vibe without feeling overwhelming.

Glastonbury is definitely overwhelming. In a good way but it deffo Fry's my swede.

28 minutes ago, StuwieG said:

Shambala hits all of those points, but is still a very different festival to Glastonbury in many ways as the focus is totally away from big acts and main stages.

Boomtown fails on "take your own" but matches on the other points - well you can take some but in very limited quantities. But again it's a very different festival experience and you'd need to have a deep love of Drum and Bass as that overpowers everything else.

Bearded Theory and Beautiful Days are both technically arena festivals, but without restrictions/checks between the arenas and campsites.

• Like 1

Green Man although a lot smaller has similarities to Glastonbury - similar “feel” and the camping and arena areas whilst separate seem integrated. Officially you can’t take your own drink in most people do as long not blatantly doing so. Also has decent late night stuff going on - runs to about 4am. Also has an excellent beer and cider festival. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, StuwieG said:

Boomtown - No arena. You are limited on how much booze you can take in theory, but we've taken quite a lot in the times we have been. 

It's basically the SE Corner as a festival. 

I didnt do '22 festival, but done the 2 before it.

Closest thing to Glastonbury you'll get IMO.

I read above someone says you need to love DnB... I hate it, but love Boomtown. But there is plenty of other stuff (lots of DnB though!!)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, StuwieG said:

I guess it depends on what you particularly like about Glastonbury!  If its hanging out at the Pyramid/Other, then there's very different answers than if you like the SE Corner or if you like chilling in the Green Fields! 

My fave alternatives are Green Man and Bearded Theory.  Both different, both independent, both more mature/family crowd (not teens running wild), both decent music - GM more folky/jazz/indie - Bearded more Punk, Goth, Indie.  GM goes slightly later at night but there are low key all night options at Bearded like the Magic Teapot (or something) .  Bearded is VERY friendly, GreenMan can be if you find the right crowd.  Both can get cold at night!!  Both are dead easy to get around, although Green Man has some hills we're not talking Glastonbury style hills!  Bearded definitely more of a hippy vibe. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If I dont get a glastonbury ticket next year, I debating Rock Wertcher... I dont know anyone who's been though.

Went once, in 2008, and I must admit there’s nothing much that would get me going back there again. Very little to do away from the stages, and felt like four days of Hyde Park. Line up was stacked that year but even then, was only really any good on paper. 

Went boomtown last year, doing boomtown this year. Really cool festival, more interesting stages and lots more actors than glasto. They limit how much booze you bring in but there are ways around it. also more strict on drug searches but literally everyone that goes bar a handful will take drugs in

last year was very dnb heavy even in the day, this year looks to be more varied pre night time but they won’t announce line up until around a week before

Reckon there could be some reasonably cheap tickets going on twickets closer to the time as it hasn’t sold out this year (even though prodigy are headlining)

59 minutes ago, bexj said:

I guess it depends on what you particularly like about Glastonbury!  If its hanging out at the Pyramid/Other, then there's very different answers than if you like the SE Corner or if you like chilling in the Green Fields! 

My fave alternatives are Green Man and Bearded Theory.  Both different, both independent, both more mature/family crowd (not teens running wild), both decent music - GM more folky/jazz/indie - Bearded more Punk, Goth, Indie.  GM goes slightly later at night but there are low key all night options at Bearded like the Magic Teapot (or something) .  Bearded is VERY friendly, GreenMan can be if you find the right crowd.  Both can get cold at night!!  Both are dead easy to get around, although Green Man has some hills we're not talking Glastonbury style hills!  Bearded definitely more of a hippy vibe. 

This is what I was going to say, only written a lot more succinctly 

2 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I don't think Green Man is anything like Glastonbury - it has much more of an grown-up feel. Much more laidback, much less drugs and alternativeness plus it rains. A lot. I do like it but it isnt like Glastonbury.

Shambala very much is in atmosphere, ethos and organisational terms but not in big name acts terms. 

Broadly agree, but Shambala is streets ahead, esp in environmental and sustainability metrics. Although it's clearly much easier with only 15000 punters and a much smaller crew.

Also as far as friendliness and attitude goes. Take the most loving attendees of Glastonbury and extend that to 99.9% of the attendees of Shambala, crew inc.

• Like 1

I like the look of Shambala, but is it all a bit too dancy? The website barely has any actual practical info on it as well! where is it? secret location in Northamptonshire is a bit bloody woolly 😄 

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

I like the look of Shambala, but is it all a bit too dancy? The website barely has any actual practical info on it as well! where is it? secret location in Northamptonshire is a bit bloody woolly 😄 

No

There's plenty of other music on: folk, rock, punk, jazz, Afro beats, Reggae/dancehall/ska, cheesy pop tunes etc

I find the "secret location" quite amusing as it's at the same place every year. Although I should stick with their "request" to keep it secret.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No

There's plenty of other music on: folk, rock, punk, jazz, Afro beats, Reggae/dancehall/ska, cheesy pop tunes etc

I find the "secret location" quite amusing as it's at the same place every year. Although I should stick with their "request" to keep it secret.

ta 👍 i'll keep an eye on oxfam and see if a place comes up! I hear its friendly and lovely and small, and the volunteer set-up is nigh on unrivalled - i hear the same about Beautiful days but i absolutely bloody hate the Levellers so that does put me off a bit 😄 its a looooong drive down there too, Northants is much easier to get to.

I'm going End of the Road again this year. Not really like Glastonbury as it's very small (around 15,000 people). Really nice site though with the Garden Stage area and peacocks roaming around. You can get between stages really quickly. Loads of the usual Glastonbury food traders there including the cider bus. It is technically an arena but you can take as much booze as you want in and out as long as it's not in glass so you can save a load of money on that.

It's all very relaxed in comparison to Glastonbury but stuff goes on until about 3am - silent disco, a DJ area (boat) in the woods, small secret gigs in the tipi tent, cinema and a karaoke place. There's nothing there like Silver Hayes or the SE corner though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

ta 👍 i'll keep an eye on oxfam and see if a place comes up! I hear its friendly and lovely and small, and the volunteer set-up is nigh on unrivalled - i hear the same about Beautiful days but i absolutely bloody hate the Levellers so that does put me off a bit 😄 its a looooong drive down there too, Northants is much easier to get to.

I'm not a fan of their music, but they're generally good lads, who keep to their ethos.

The most annoying thing about Beautiful days is that The Levellers shut down the other stages on Sunday for the last act, which is always them.

Re attitude of the punters, yes the Beautiful Days crowd are friendly, but no crowd I've ever experienced come close to the Shambala lot. Although I've heard reports that the "Noisily" folks are very similar. 

Of all the festivals I’ve done I’ve found Sziget to tick the most Glastonbury boxes whilst still being a completely different festival!

It has the whole ‘lots of different areas to explore’ thing going on. They do a little passport that you can get stamped as you go to places to encourage you to look round.

You can’t take your own alcohol in but of course you can smuggle spirits and the beers (& even cocktails) are cheap compared to UK festivals. 

Musically it’s very broad but you won’t find the heritage acts you get at Glastonbury. Tends to be very mainstream headliners, then around the other stages lots of stuff from different countries & you find yourself throwing yourself into some Spanish band alongside a load of Spaniards who are bang into it and know every word!

It’s really like a world party, every next person you speak to is from somewhere else and that is one of the things we love it for. Also very LGBTQ friendly. Very young but didn’t feel out of place as an older visitor.

Theres lots of different types of camping but an apartment in the city for 10 days can be only about £200 & it’s great to experience the city too. Weather usually very hot so camping is hard.

For the other end of the Glastonbury vibe - Acoustic/Avalon - Bearded Theory and Beautiful Days are both lovely festivals - small but perfectly formed, an older crowd, heritage and alternative music….& you can take your own alcohol.

Boomtown has the edginess of Glastonbury’s earlier years combined with the modern production standards of the SE Corner - a film set. D&B heavy but reggae/punk/folk is around too.

As others said - there is nothing like it.  

Rather than chase the same vibe elsewhere, I look for something a bit different in other festivals.  I have done Cambridge Folk Festival many times.  This year I'll do Womad, which I have been to a couple of times before.

The End Of The Road, early September, is a really nice festival. More of a serious muso vibe.

I volunteered at Shambala last year.  Very nice site and excellent food, but music-wise I wasn't impressed.

Edited by Watergirl